Maximum voltage on Sanny 48V hub motor

piwhy

100 mW
Hello,

I recently bought a 20" hub motor wheel to convert an old moped into an electric one. I bought the Sanny 48V1000W model on Ebay with a basic controler and some misc accesories.
I started to realise some tests with the basic 48v controler and 4 lead batteries and I'm not satisfied with the maximum rpm...
I will order LifePO4 Headway cells (40160S) soon, with a Kelly Controler with regen function and I'm wondering on the system voltage.
I'm wonder if I could use this motor on 60v (20 cells) to gain some KPH ?
As the Kelly Controler is configurable, I can limit the maximum current in the motor.
Does someone ever used this motor with an upper voltage with a kelly controler ?

Thank you.
Bye

48v should be enough for the high 20s to lower 30s. 48v is pretty much the middle of the road for speed and performance. when you go above 48v you start having reliability issues. You could run an 16s LifePo4 system on a 48v controller which are cheaper.

When you start going to 18-24s then it gets intresting. I was very satisfied with my hub motor on a 20s Lifepo4 pack. It got me 35-40mph in the flats. It was pretty reliable to. But I think i had to get a 72v controller. The components are rated higher for operation above 60v.

Why are you getting a kelly controller. There are several people on the forum that can sell you a controller with regen for a fraction of the cost that kelly. Dont get me wrong .. Kelly controllers are nice and programmable but often take extra work to pair them with the standard chinese connectors motors and accessories.

There are reasone I hate Ebay. Thats not realy a 1000w motor by the traditional sense. By their tech specs its a 1184w peak motor, which is diffrent. Most 500watt motors are rated for that or more.

Tech specs are here: http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1e...al-Information-for-48V1000W-motor?refid=20239

The motor can probably handle higher voltage, depending on the internal wire guage and insulation thickness on the coils, but I would suspect 100 volts in not unreasonable, but since the watt limit is only 1185w, that means you would have to limit it to 12 amps at 100 volts

On the motor datasheet, the RPM at maximum efficace power is about 384rpm at 48V, 37KPH with a 20" wheel.

I would like to start on a 60v system with a configurable KellyControler for a potential future evolution with a more powerful motor. That's why it seems to me to be better to start with 20xLifepo4 cells with a KEB72331 controler to have evolution possibilities. I hope to reach 45-50kmh with 20s battery.
Icecube57, what do you mean when you say "extra work to pair them with the standard chinese connectors motors..." ? You talk about wiring work, not compatibility problems ?
I can easily use an KEB72331 or KEB48221 controler with any hub motor ? isn't it ?
Otherwise, which other cheaper controler could you advise me ?
Thank you

Please find enclosed some photos of my early moped project :

Attachments

• Hub.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 814
  • Batt_simulation.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 1,620
The sannykung motors have the same guts as a 9C, almost the same as a GM, only real differences are the stator assembly fabrication (painted vs galv and a diffferent press) and magnet width (28mm vs 30mm). So you can draw on results that users have reported on those.
You can pump shitloads more power through them, though they build a lot more heat after a few thousand watts or so. If you're after more speed, they will run on 60v or 72v.
Incidentally, my friend has just put together a bike with a sanny 20" wheel (3" tyre) teamed with 48v and infineon controller programmed at 120% throttle setting and gets just on 45kmh.
I'd say 60v might just reach 45kmh with your smaller tyre height and standard controller.
I haven't heard of Kelly's having a 120% throttle setting, but you will save yourself a good amount by getting a programmable infineon regen controller instead to use on 60v, and have better top speed.

I look forward to seeing your results.
Rob.

Ok thank you for your advice.
I will start on a 48v (16S) system with an infineon controller. Both are smaller, cheaper (vs 20S battery and KellyC) and the inifineon controller seems to be more experienced on this forum.
The Infineon controller are as programble as the KC ? I've read some threads about it, it seems to be easy to configure it for a 120% throttle. I found a word document with all possible tweaks.
However this controller should be used with magnetic hall effect sensors (throtle and brake) ?
Do you know a good seller for a 40A infineon regen brushless controller ? ebikes.ca ?
Do you know where your friend bought a 3" tire for a 20" rim ? He mounted it on a 20"x1.75 rim ?
I will keep you informed of my results
Thank you.

The motor has hall sensors to suit the controller inputs.
The throttle and brake levers you receive with the kit will suit the controller.
re where to buy a controller, where are you? Lyen is a popular seller here on the forum, he is in the US.
re tyres, search ebay for 20x3. They mount on small rim width ok.

Back