Chinese brushless motor controllers, max speed adjustment

FSC

100 µW
Hi

I have two 48v electric moped scooters. They are basic Chinese scooters and they have 40km/h top speed. In EU mopeds are allowed to go for 45 km/h.

The motor controller limit the vehicle speed based on the rotation speed of the motor and acceleration speed on amperage. I came to this conclusion as battery voltage has no effect on top speed and during top speed(40km/h) the amperage draw (25A) is well bellow the controller limit(60A) that can be seen during acceleration and climbing. Also no wiring is used to limit the speed from external source.

Anyone has any experience about how to change the maximum rpm what the controller allows?

Or any suggestion what controller is programmable so that I can set the max RPM and amps?

I've tried to look for information and found very little. Also looking for good controler seems hard. All I find is the basic chinese ones that cost less than 100e and then something completely overboard that cost more than 450e.

Hi,

Unfortunately the controllers I have are just generic chinese brushless controllers. They have little to no information about manufacturer.

I quess there is no way to change their behaviour.

Attachments

• tt.PNG
    tt.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • etuj.PNG
    etuj.PNG
    289 KB · Views: 24
You’re correct, but many are clones and might be programmable with the right software but it’s an advanced job, it’s easier to switch controller to something like a kunteng (kt) controller, that has a hacked software thread here on ES or a kelly that has a simple software and basic support from the manufacturer.

VESC controller is also an option, but i think the step to start using this is bigger.

The motor controller limit the vehicle speed based on the rotation speed of the motor and acceleration speed on amperage. I came to this conclusion as battery voltage has no effect on top speed and during top speed(40km/h) the amperage draw (25A) is well bellow the controller limit(60A) that can be seen during acceleration and climbing.
Is your no load speed, wheel off the ground, 40 km/h as well?

Is your no load speed, wheel off the ground, 40 km/h as well?
I have not been able to test that as the speedometer is on the front wheel and hub motor is on the rear and I do not have rpm reader. However regardless of load top speed is always around 40-41.

But it seems that smart solution is to opt for better controller. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back