whats the alternative to this?

monster

100 kW
hi all

whats the alternative to all this lose wiring and switches?

i have three batteries and i wanted to wire them up so that i could switch any one of them out and still be able to limp home on two if one of them goes wrong. (i used 6 switches, 3 fuses)

the best thing you can do is just ararnge it all neatly, you can also duct tape / shrink wrap wires together - makes it a lot neater. say the phase and hall wires (if its brushless)

You could get a jiffy box similar to what i have to mount all the wiring/switches on

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=32430#32430

have a look at my last post in the pictures the box is just behind my seat post between that and the rear rack. I think there is also some other pictures on the page before

Yes, some kind of plastic box would be great. Plastic is easy to drill and cut for mounting the switches. It also allows you to label the switches nicely and provides some water protection.

you can put the fuses inside the packs. If you do this they offer some protection to each pack incase of an internal short circuit.

I'm guessing you using the three packs in series? If so you can use Anderson powerpole connectors which can be plugged into each other (negative or positive) in which case you shouldn't need any switches. Or am I missing something?

Ya Nick -- Unless we're missing something -- to plug in whichever packs are wanted is the easiest = no switches. If fuses are inline right out of each battery and each wire is made as long as necessary it is a pretty tight setup.

Fush said:
You could get a jiffy box similar to what i have to mount all the wiring/switches on

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=32430#32430

have a look at my last post in the pictures the box is just behind my seat post between that and the rear rack. I think there is also some other pictures on the page before

What are all those switches for Fush?

My wiring bundle is inside the box which holds my battery. I put the on/off switch under my seat.

Nimbuzz said:
-- plug in whichever packs are wanted is the easiest = no switches. If fuses are inline right out of each battery.

Correct, Each battery pack has it's own Anderson plugs attached it, simple, practical, secure, & safe.

Mark_A_W said:

The left one controls my front and rear lights, the middle one controls my phone charger and the one on the right which i haven't setup yet will control the watt limiter using the CA so it can be potentially road legal if I ever get pulled over :p

Fush said:
Mark_A_W said:

The left one controls my front and rear lights, the middle one controls my phone charger and the one on the right which i haven't setup yet will control the watt limiter using the CA so it can be potentially road legal if I ever get pulled over :p

Phone charger? Crikey!!

Where did you get the DC converter/SMPS?

I got a SMPS from Work (Jaycar) 12v 1amp, ripped apart my old car charger for the nokia, extended the cable and connected it all up in the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-uB9f-Rg0Y
(In this video i wrongly identify the motor and by the looks of things i can't do maths either (12x5=60) no idea how i managed to get 56. Anyway the smps in the video is the same type as the one i put inside the box, though I removed all the excess packaging first.

Goddamn...you have any idea how much I've spent at Jaycar over the years??

Think we need to get you to get a bulk buy in Anderson connectors at staff prices :)

So the SMPS works at 60v input? How about 48v?

the smps works at 48 but the current drops well below 1amp, the motor i was testing with had trouble starting but once it did start it worked all right.

Well I tell you what Mark its cheaper to buy andersons online at http://www.powerwerx.com/ There is a much greater range and two they are better value even compared to my staff price. Also with the strong Aussie Dollar against the greenback it makes importing a much better proposition. Just order with the cheapest shipping I think its about $11 for the cardbord envelope...mine arrived in 5 days.

Back