can you shunt mod a lifepo4 BMS?

Hyperious

1 mW
Currently I have an A123 pouch cell 72v 20ah pack that has a BMS which is amp limit set to 60A. I shunt modded my controller however to be able to do at least 100A, so now the battery BMS is the bottleneck. I haven't opened it up to see if I can yet, but I figured I'd ask first to see if this is even a safe thing to do. I know that some batteries like to explode if amp draw is too high, but according to all the literature I've read, pouch packs should be more tolerant of high amp loads, so going from 60A max to 100A max shouldn't be an issue.

Based on pics of similar BMS's I've seen on the market, it looks possible, but I don't know for sure. Can it be done?

The discharge FETs on the BMS, and their heatsinking and the heat-shedding ability (ventilation) of the unit will be what determines if it's safe to do.

It's certainly possible to do it...if the FETs, wiring, and cells can handle it.

As long as the interconnects between the cells are solid, and the main power leads are of sufficient size, the A123 pouches will have no problem at all delivering 100A. They will however happily and rapidly convert anything that is insufficient to handle such currents into smoke. I'd worry about the FETs and traces on your BMS.

Back