Dozens of Bicycles Recovered!

markz

100 TW
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/rcmp-recover-dozens-of-bikes-believed-stolen-from-the-canmore-area-1.4629664
RCMP recover dozens of bikes believed stolen from the Canmore area
Published Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:39PM MDT
Last Updated Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:57PM MDT

CALGARY — Canmore RCMP has recovered nearly three dozen stolen bikes after a traffic stop led officers to search a storage unit in Calgary.

Police were notified of a suspicious U-Haul truck parked in an industrial area on Railway Avenue in Canmore about 6 p.m. on Friday.

Knowing a U-Haul has been linked to a number of bicycle thefts in the area, police launched an investigation and the truck was located.

Officers followed the truck to Calgary’s city limits, where a traffic stop was made and the driver taken into custody.

A search of the U-Haul turned up 12 bikes, which are all believed to be stolen from the Canmore area.

The U-Haul was also determined to be stolen and police found a number of items inside, including power tools, two miniature motorcycles, break-in instruments (bolt-cutters, flashlights, balaclavas, torches), multiple gift cards and vehicle documents.

A search warrant was obtained for a storage facility in Calgary, where police found another 20 bikes, which are also believed to be stolen from the Canmore area.

The total value of all property recovered is estimated to be more than $100,000.

John Gil Cortez, 24, is charged with:

Possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000
Two counts of theft over $5,000
Fraudulent possession of a credit card
Possession of counterfeit money
Two counts of theft under $5,000
Possession of a stolen motor vehicle
Breach of recognizance
Operating an uninsured motor vehicle

Cortez is scheduled to appear next in a Canmore courtroom Oct. 16.

Police are now working to match the bikes with reports of stolen bikes from the Canmore area. Anyone who didn't file a report but thinks their bike might have been recovered can call Canmore RCMP at 403-678-5519.

Farmer shoots burgler, burgler gets grazed by a richote, farmer gets charged by the pigs, and sued by the scumbag robber. Charges were later dropped. Scumbag thieves have more rights then home/landowners.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/okotoks-shooting-homeowner-charges-dropped-1.4716423
In Texas, you can legally kill someone trying to do what the scumbag thief did.

john61ct said:
shooting's too good for 'em

I have built Canmore. Well, part of it. I had a framing contract for the olympic village. There were no courthouse then, not even paved streets. But there was a scumbag robber already. I believe he was behind this idea of building Canmore in the first place.

No there were not ebikes recovered as far as I know.
In such turist area where bikes are often rented bikes are easy target
probably tourists leave them all over the place
with false impression
small town - small crime

One walk down the streets of Banff or Canmore or even Cochrane.... you will see mid-tier bicycles and high-tier expensive bicycles locked up with a cable :cry:
Very rarely would I see a yellow Kryptonite U-lock being used, but maybe an orange or black Kryptonite on the odd occasion.

miro13car said:
No there were not ebikes recovered as far as I know.
In such turist area where bikes are often rented bikes are easy target
probably tourists leave them all over the place
with false impression
small town - small crime

those stupid bicycle racks,
building designers still put them outside buildings, they were OK in 60-70ties, but now?
If I cannot roll my ebike inside between entrance doors, I do not use this business.

This was from my neck of the woods not long ago:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/stolen-bicycles-worth-100k-recovered-by-vancouver-police-1.5279584

That was just a storage locker ...and the cops weren't even looking for them. They stumbled upon them. The proverbial tip of the iceberg.

"Since the beginning of the year, more than 1,600 bicycles have been reported stolen in Vancouver."

That's just the city of Vancouver, and just the ones that were actually reported.

It wouldn't surprise me if bikes were the most stolen item in the country. From crackheads to professional thieves it seems that no matter where you go someone is out to steal your bike. And we wonder why cycling doesn't catch on.

"Three Vancouver men and another from Surrey were arrested and released without charges. VPD say they continue to investigate and may recommend charges in the future."

...and that's why we can't have nice things.

Make it lethal and you're the one tossed in the klink for a long stretch.

But a sub Taser-like booby trap, even like you get from the bigger cattle fences, now that I'd sign up for.

Which of course means already available on some darknet market. . .

It's a long shot that this would be helpful, but in those rare cases where a bike is recovered, listing on a registry like this one might be useful. It's worth a shot considering the super-low cost.

https://bikeindex.org

It would also be nice if you are buying a used bike to to a pre-check.
I only have one bike listed on the registry at this time, but I will get all of them listed in the near future.

Not in Canada as TURH-OH is light on violent crime, including murder.

john61ct said:
Make it lethal and you're the one tossed in the klink for a long stretch.

But a sub Taser-like booby trap, even like you get from the bigger cattle fences, now that I'd sign up for.

Which of course means already available on some darknet market. . .

Stucked full throttle should be discouraging enough, with a 500A controller especially. :wink:

I picture a spring loaded dropper style seatpost that collapses when sat on and allows a 6" pointy spike to pass through the perineum cutout.

Probably keyed so the spike could be removed and post locked before riding, but I'm just spitballing here...

Might as well add a forward facing camera too, because that footage would be golden.

Back