I need help finding a QS 205 motor for the lowest price

[F0]

100 µW
Hi, this is my first post here. Hope this is the right section. I just built my first ebike using a voilamart 1500w kit and I love it, but it still goes way too slow and I'm looking to upgrade soon. (I will post more info about that ebike later with some goodies I think a few of you will like).

I'm planning to build a Stealth bomber type ebike using a clone frame on Ebay. I need help finding a motor/controller/rim combination for the lowest price. I plan on mostly riding on the street with a little off roading. Something that gets up to 60mph would be ideal for me, and 70mph is overkill.
This is the frame I want to use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Bike-Frame-bicycle-Frame-Steel-155mm-dropout-for-Stealth-Bomber-Electric-bike/262779833552?hash=item3d2ee60cd0:m:mPSk7-ClvozpN_FODBuKGkw

I see everyone using the QS 205 v3 50h with hubsinks and 17-19 inch moped rims but I am having trouble finding those for cheaper than an already set up 273 motor kit on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/NBPower-Bluetooth-Electric-Conversion-Controller/dp/B07KNP86QB

I am having trouble finding the 205 motor as a kit with the wheels already laced and a good controller for cheaper than $1,200 total. I tried looking on Aliexpress, but I don't really know how to navigate the search results better than I can on Ebay.

This is just the 205 motor and front/rear wheels for around $760 total on ebay. The controller is anywhere from $200-300 and the hubsink is around $100, so that already makes the price higher than the 273 kit with more hassle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/QS-MOTOR-205-V3-50h-5000w-10kw-pick-power-electric-e-bike-moto-wheel-set-kit/253960875183?hash=item3b213f6caf:m:mSWz1r55vuWEUZl6h3XdPYQ

If anyone knows of any other places to find these parts for lower price (including shipping), can you please post links? If anyone has any better suggestions, I'm happy to hear. Should I just stick with the 273 kit? I also have 300 Panasonic ncr18650s to create the battery if anyone is wondering. Thanks.

If someone offered me a 273 and a 205 for free, and I could only pick one, I'd still take the 205. The 273 is very heavy, and unless you are going to feed it enough watts to get it warm occasionally (*you wont), then the extra heavy weight in the hubmotor would be a huge annoyance.

Until you have maxed out the heavy 205, dont even consider the 273. The proper controller and battery for a 273 is hugely expensive.

That being said, do what you want, and post pics...

That is good info, thank you! I did hear the 273 was heavy.

If you want the 205, your best bet overall is probably to buy the motor directly from QS and have an experienced local wheelbuilder lace it to your rim of choice. The prebuilt wheels out of China tend to use bottom barrel quality components and often come needing a complete redo of the spoke torque and tension from what I hear. Their failure rates are high, though probably not a huge issue if you're riding exclusively on the streets... at least until a pothole shatters the rim at 60mph.

If you really plan to run those kinds of speeds for any length of time the added mass of the 273 might be worth considering to stave off overheating, especially if you live in a hilly region. That added mass is generally considered to be a detriment offroad however, and even more reason to spring for a quality wheel build. It's a LOT of added mass though and I suspect most here would lean solidly towards the 205, so food for thought there.

Regarding the batteries, you didn't mention which model. Most Panasonic cells have a relatively low continuous discharge rating and capacities erring on the higher end of the spectrum. They may not appreciate being beaten on, so keep your amp draw in mind while selecting your components.

HK12K said:
If you want the 205, your best bet overall is probably to buy the motor directly from QS and have an experienced local wheelbuilder lace it to your rim of choice. The prebuilt wheels out of China tend to use bottom barrel quality components and often come needing a complete redo of the spoke torque and tension from what I hear. Their failure rates are high, though probably not a huge issue if you're riding exclusively on the streets... at least until a pothole shatters the rim at 60mph.

If you really plan to run those kinds of speeds for any length of time the added mass of the 273 might be worth considering to stave off overheating, especially if you live in a hilly region. That added mass is generally considered to be a detriment offroad however, and even more reason to spring for a quality wheel build. It's a LOT of added mass though and I suspect most here would lean solidly towards the 205, so food for thought there.

Regarding the batteries, you didn't mention which model. Most Panasonic cells have a relatively low continuous discharge rating and capacities erring on the higher end of the spectrum. They may not appreciate being beaten on, so keep your amp draw in mind while selecting your components.

Thanks that sounds like the best idea, I will probably be sticking with the 205. I will be maintaining speeds of 45-50mph and will rarely do 60mph but want the ability if I need to.

Do you have a suggestion on a controller with good quality and reasonable price? I see mobipus, kelly, and sabvoton controllers being used but I haven't done a lot of research on the controller yet.

Sorry, the batteries I have are NCR18650BD 3200mAh 10A. Do you think those batteries will do well with this motor at 50mph continuous speeds?

I'd go Nucular 24f personally, based on features and reviews. Haven't owned one myself though, yet. ASI and Mobipus are also supposedly well liked, but I'd still go Nuc.

I believe that those cells should work ok, assuming you build the pack with enough in parallel to handle the expected amp load and then some. They wouldn't be my first choice, but if you've already got them I think they'll do. Just be mindful of the numbers and don't over stress them for best cycle life.

You can easily do your target performance with a MXUS 3K, that is light and efficient. And, you will have a better ride on bicycle wheels.

Anyway, best price for any motor is from the manufacturer, not laced. Chinese rims are crap, and make expansive shipping that they are not worth.

MadRhino said:
You can easily do your target performance with a MXUS 3K, that is light and efficient. And, you will have a better ride on bicycle wheels.

Anyway, best price for any motor is from the manufacturer, not laced. Chinese rims are crap, and make expansive shipping that they are not worth.

I don't trust bicycle wheels at higher speeds. People on this forum seem to like moped rims, so that's what I want use, and those are already made for those speeds. I currently have a 1500w kit on a full suspension bike and it's already feeling wonky when I go over bumps at 32mph (its a mongoose, so not the best suspension). I also don't want to be dealing with the motor constantly overheating so i want a little beefier motor. Will the MXUS 3k still hold speeds of 50+mph with this frame, a heavy battery, and moped wheels without over heating?

Oh, and I messaged QSMOTOR and they will sell the qs 205 for $400 + shipping. I found it cheaper on aliexpress for under $400 total and black friday is in 3 days.

[F0 said:
" post_id=1512972 time=1574805867 user_id=68386]
Hi, this is my first post here. Hope this is the right section. I just built my first ebike using a voilamart 1500w kit and I love it, but it still goes way too slow and I'm looking to upgrade soon. (I will post more info about that ebike later with some goodies I think a few of you will like).

I'm planning to build a Stealth bomber type ebike using a clone frame on Ebay. I need help finding a motor/controller/rim combination for the lowest price. I plan on mostly riding on the street with a little off roading. Something that gets up to 60mph would be ideal for me, and 70mph is overkill.
This is the frame I want to use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Bike-Frame-bicycle-Frame-Steel-155mm-dropout-for-Stealth-Bomber-Electric-bike/262779833552?hash=item3d2ee60cd0:m:mPSk7-ClvozpN_FODBuKGkw

I see everyone using the QS 205 v3 50h with hubsinks and 17-19 inch moped rims but I am having trouble finding those for cheaper than an already set up 273 motor kit on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/NBPower-Bluetooth-Electric-Conversion-Controller/dp/B07KNP86QB

I am having trouble finding the 205 motor as a kit with the wheels already laced and a good controller for cheaper than $1,200 total. I tried looking on Aliexpress, but I don't really know how to navigate the search results better than I can on Ebay.

This is just the 205 motor and front/rear wheels for around $760 total on ebay. The controller is anywhere from $200-300 and the hubsink is around $100, so that already makes the price higher than the 273 kit with more hassle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/QS-MOTOR-205-V3-50h-5000w-10kw-pick-power-electric-e-bike-moto-wheel-set-kit/253960875183?hash=item3b213f6caf:m:mSWz1r55vuWEUZl6h3XdPYQ

If anyone knows of any other places to find these parts for lower price (including shipping), can you please post links? If anyone has any better suggestions, I'm happy to hear. Should I just stick with the 273 kit? I also have 300 Panasonic ncr18650s to create the battery if anyone is wondering. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum

I got the same frame at this site: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.28.212136ec334L7X. I paid 210 for frame + rear suspension + 165 shipping, total 375 $. Its still cheaper than the one from eBay, its 400 with shipping. One thing I dont like about this frame is the opening into the battery. Its not wide as the frame from EM3EV. And if you are unlucky, you can have rubber bushing in the swing arm read more in this thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95439&start=175

Axle on the QS 273 dont fit the frame you want to build. You have to modify it, so go for the QS 205 it has same axle for bicycle frame.

For 1.200 $: 5KW QS V3 Rear Direct Drive Hub Motor Wheel Build With 10 Gauge Moto Spokes - 19" (1.85" Wide) + Front Wheel With 20mm Thru Axle Hub - 19" Front Wheel, it's 610.78 with shipping from EM3EV and I would go for Nucular controller 24F for 600 $ with shipping (12 F cost 420).

I've had very good luck running a 17" rear, 19" front on my Raptor. Don't really have much to compare it to aside from a 700c pedal rig, but the formula has worked well for me both on and off road. Smaller rear accelerates well, larger front plows over obstacles easily while still being strong. No complaints, but ymmv.

Back