What bike for the first ebike conversion?

Maisn

100 µW
Hi all,

Actually I wanted to convert a motorcycle. But it seems like I do not have the money to buy the batteries I need. Now I am looking for alternatives. Apparently this is an ebike. Here are the specifications I need:
top speed: ca. 30-35 mph
average speed. 25-30 mph
range: at least 40 miles with one charge

I need the bike to commute ot my university, one way is about 20 miles. As the streets are very empty and not hilly and nearly without traffic lights, it is a trip at constant speed. I would prefer to reduce pedaling as much as possible, because I do not have the possibility to take a shower at my Univ.

Rigth now, I have no idea which bicycle to buy. A chopper like the Schwinn Stingray would be very cool for the look, but I guess also uncomfortable.
What about a cruiser? Or is a classical hardtail the best option?
Most of the time I am riding on-road. That would be the main purpose for the ebike.

Any opinions?

Cheers

Matt

Pretty much anything will work. More about how nice a frame do you want? I have a cheap Schwinn S-40 from Target, myself. Good bike, but there's pretty much no option for battery mounting other than a seatpost rack.

A few here have done choppers. They can make good conversions because there's space in the frame for the batteries. Same with some cruisers. Hardtails are a bit of a rougher ride, but good, too.

About the only bikes that don't convert well are road bikes, because they're too weak to handle this kind of power, and the low weight is offset many times by the motor and batteries.

40 miles on one charge is going to be very difficult at those speeds, though. Not going to be able to pull it off without lithium. 48V 30Ah of Ping would get you there, I think. Granted, a pack like that is going to cost you $1,000+...

take a look at Hybrids. they are built heavy duty like a mountian bike, but with the gearing and geometry more like a road bike. fairly efficent and sturdy for long range at higher power.

Speed kills range. Double your speed, cut your range by 3 times. Drop your cruising speed to 20mph, and you can probably do 20 miles on 700 watt hours of battery, assuming you can charge there. cut your cruising speed to 14mph, and you might be able to do the whole trip on 700wh of battery.

With a battery the size of what you'll need, you either need a hard tail bike, or the ability to fabricate your own racks. Full suspensions are nice, but it realy limits what you can do with the batteries.

You still can't afford the batteries to go 35 mph for 40 miles. But 25 mph for 20 miles can be done for about $1500. 20 ah Ping battery if you can get one, Brushed hub motor, or 48 v brushless, and a cheap comfort bike or MTB.

I have been thinking about the same problem for a while the more research points the way to a SHORT WHEEL BASED RECUMBENT as perhaps the MOST efficient for our purpose .

since at higher speed the air resistance is a major factor as well the comfot on the body a s a whole there is 2/3 less wind resistance on this kind of set up as oppose to an upright bike.

this set up wil allow for you to be in a seated position when stopped have the handle bars at various positions (one when the hans are at your sides)

and eyes on the road without lifing head .

http://bike-recumbent.com/swb1.shtml

x.jpg

http://www.bicycleapparel.com/bent.html

and decent weight distribution as well a lower center of gravity

really i can't find too many cons in this set up just look the member by the name RECUMBENT

Thanks for all the replys.

Right now I think I will go either with a mountainbike or a hybrid. The recumbent idea sounds great as long as the money does not matter. But I would rather build an electric motorcycle, than buy a recumbent. Just my opinion.

So far it seems like I have to charge my bike at the university, because I need the speed, at least 25 mph. Otherwise an ebike does not make sense for me. But charging there could be difficult.

Which hub motor would be a good choice?

The 5303, 5304, 50305??

A 5305 will get you there at around 60V, and quick. A 5304 will do it on less, but won't pull from a stop as hard. A 5303 will do it on 36V, but won't have near the acceleration as the 5305.

Personally, I'd go with the 5305 on 72V. That will get you over 30mph and plenty of torque with a good controller.

forget the 530X series all together. for what you want, need, and can aford, a 40X is ideal. my 408 at 74V will do 35mph oh a hybrid. And its lighter, cheaper, and more efficent than a 530X. That also means it will function on a smaller battery, which means tyou can go farther on less cash.

my 4012 will do 25mph+, at 29 watt hours per mile. at 74V its capable of more speed and torque than a 5304 at 48V.

Maybe even try a Golden Motor. Mine does 26-27mph without assistance on 48V. Great torque, too.

Ok guys,

I think I will go with a mountainbike, because of its versatility. And I always had one and it was good enough for everything I did.
Will the 407 motor in a 26" wheel be a good choice?