Battery storage for Radrover

waynebergman

100 kW
Friend of mine is buying a Radrover new from dealer. It will be shipped with 48V 14Ah (672Wh) Lithium-Ion battery using Samsung cells charged to 75% state of charge. He will have it shipped to a familly members house and not be able to ride it for around 5 months. So it will just be sitting in its shipping box. My question on his behalf is should he worry about discarching to 50% for a 5 month storage before use. I am thinking it will be just fine to sit in the box like it is for the 5 months but want to check for him to be sure. It will sit out in a garage that is cooler in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks wayne

Since the battery has a BMS, it'll have a drain on at least some of the cells (depends on the design if it's some or all).

Over several months, it's possible the cells could be drained critically if they start at a low enough state of charge. You'd either have to measure the drain, or ask if Rad has done such a test (and get the results), to know if it's safe to do that.

It might be a very low power BMS running off all the cells, and thus may not be a concern...but I've read too many threads about people leaving a battery sitting for months and the BMS killing the pack to be anywhere near certain of that without a test. ;)

You could ask for the battery to be shipped with the BMS unplugged from the cells (assuming it's not soldered to the main or balance leads), but you'd need to plug it back in before using it or charging it.

the battery has a on/off switch, turn it off before storage.
Keep it 50% capacity better than 75%.

How to maintain the battery?
The battery should be stored in clean, dry, ventilated, dark environment. When unused, keep it after half charge, recharge it every 3 months or 6 months.

How to prolong your li ion battery?
Recharge your batteries before they are completely dead.
After every 30 charges, allow your lithium based battery to completely discharge before recharging.

Back