Using lead acid 6v batteries vs 12v

calab

1 MW
Briggs & Stratton Hybrid car is what I was watching, video is below.

@ about time stamp 8:00 is when they start talking about the batteries.

What I dont quite get is, the guy said you get more power out of a 6v battery then a 12v battery when you connect them to make the 72v. Voltage is the pressure they said. So I say its 72 volts of pressure on both 6v and 12v systems. But they say 6v gives you more volume. Then the comment about them using industrial 6v batteries.

6v 100ah x 12 in series = 72v 100ah is 7200wh minus the lead acid de-rating value of 25% or whatever it is.
To me, the 6v has more batteries, more wires.

12v 100ah x 6 in series = 72v 50ah 7200wh minus derating

Is it just the confusion of not comparing apples to apples, 12v 100ah and 6v 100ah or is there a real difference if everything was the same for 6v and 12v, same wh, same gauge wire, just more 6v's.

[youtube]ftMxCehD08U[/youtube]

Voltage is just one part of the story.

The POWER performance is proportional to capacity (Ah) and most critically, the (lack of) resistance.

The chemistry, the design, build quality, all make a difference.

Especially to longevity in deep cycling conditions.

Most consumer grade lead batts' performance will start to decline after just a dozen or so cycles.

Pressure and volume are not terms relavent to batteries...So whoever was making those statements doesnt know what he is talking about . Ignor ALL he says.
There are many properties that will make big differences to battery performance in addition to voltage and amps, be they 6 v , 12v, etc etc.
Voltages that low would be considered unsuitable for any Hybrid or EV application.

What he might be saying in the wrong terms is that a 6v battery can withstand a lot of amp draw from a motor, and deep discharging without getting damaged.
Most 6v batteries are made for golf carts or forklifts and made for deep cycling.
Compared to a generic 12v starter battery, they withstand deep discharge better. Compared to a actual designed to be deep discharged 12v, there's not much difference.
There's also sometimes a benefit to more batteries in a string, esp when they're abused. If you short one out from plate debris bridging the plates at the bottom, or sulphate one from undercharging, swapping a 6v and it working again is better then tossing a whole 12v one that might be fine internally except for one shorted plate.

Amps current is a flow rate, and voltage **difference** does work somewhat like pressure

So that water based analogy is often used to get specific point across to noobs.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/question501.htm

Back