Do you use clip in shoes?

Do you use clip in shoes?

• No. Never even tried them.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • No. Used them before but not on the ebike.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Yes. Started using them since going electric.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Yes. Still using them since hooking up a motor.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Yes/No. Use them on my non-electric bike. But not on my ebike.

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters

adrian_sm

1 MW
I have been using clip in shoes on my mountain bike to commute to work for years. But since going elecric I am finding them more of a nuesence for some reason. It mihght be because I am going via roads, and needing to stop at lights more often. It migt be becuase I don't feel the need to be as efficient while pedalling anymore.

Do you use clip in shoes on your ebike?
Did you use them before going electric?
Why?

For me, Never even considered on an Ebike.
Ebikes are faster and more massive, and everything happens faster. the extra half second of action and half second of attention needed to remember to twist your foot just right to pop it off the pedal to put your foot down or kick out, or bail off the bike is potentialy too long.

I've used the following:

* Various platform pedals
* Shimano SPDs with MTB shoes
* Crank Bro egg beaters with MTB shoes
* Look Keo with roadie shoes

The egg beaters seemed the best fit for my ebike but I ended up going back to platform pedals. I don't have to bother with my bike shoes and with the 'assisting power' don't feel the same need to get the last % of pedal efficiency out.

I'm keeping my clipless pedals on my pedal-only bikes, but haven't felt the need to use them on my ebike.

In response to drunkskunk, I never have had trouble clipping out fast, it's clipping in that sometimes catches me out. Starting from the lights on a hill for example, and I go to clip in but it doesn't engage and the bike runs out of momentum to pull the crank around for another clip in attempt. Doesn't happen often, but can be frustrating.

I use pedals that are SPD on one side and platform on the other. I use my touring shoes with recessed clips for commuting but just regular shoes for local errands. It's nice to have the choice.

I said yes since getting an ebike, but I'm just testing them on trike so far. I will probably try them on the bike once I'm a little more comfortable with them. On the recumbent bike and trike I've noticed my foot tends to move around on the pedal more, and the clip-ins keep it where it belongs. Also read where it's not if but when you fall over after having to stop and don't get your foot unclipped quickly enough. :evil: A friend that has ridden with clipless pedals for years had to panic stop when a car pulled out in front of him a few weeks ago. He said it was all he could do to stop inches from the car and he didn't get unclipped and simply fell over on the pavement, as she drove away.

i rode with SPDs and, later, Time pedals on all of my pedal-powered bikes. now i ride with flat pedals: one of the reaons i chose to build an e-bike for commuting on was to be able to use all of the comfortable but inefficient gear while still going faster than anyone else! (namely: full fenders; flat pedals; a chainguard; wide Protapers; a Nexus internally geared hub.)

I saw some pedals like that in a bike shop once when I was...uh...probably 14.

I just WTFd over them (and their price) for a few seconds and went to oogle the $1,000+ bikes.

I use toe clips and straps and mountain type cycling shoes or regular athletic shoes. The straps keep my feet on the pedals at high RPM's and there is the ability to pull up a bit on the pedals which is the real advantage of clip-in pedals. I don't use the clip-in style because if I gotta walk for some reason they are a pain!

-R

I had a power-assist velomobile with a partially open floor (to permit "Flintstoning"). Pedaling one day with no clipless or straps, I hit a bump and my foot went right to the pavement and got sucked under. The edge of the floor opening essentially acted like a guillotine and if I had not been wearing very heavy leather footgear I might have not gotten away with just a bad sprain. I'm not sure that even toe straps/clips would have helped, so there are advantages to clipless shoes with some types of velomobiles.

I have clip-ins on my road bike and toe straps on my MTB. I didn't have any kind of clips on my first e-bike for just pure ease of use.

E-bike 2 has toe straps because I am a bit more concerned about foot slippage with the higher speeds. It is also easier to assist the motor assist on hills when you can give a little pull up on the pedals. I can't see any reason why I would use toe clips on my e-bike, it's too inconvenient and I do not want to be attached to it that well in case of a mishap.

Back