DownTube Folders Mods, Pics, and Vids

joystix2

100 W
I've been researching folders for a while and decided to go with the Downtubes instead of the Dahon mainly because of priceing but I also like the looks better of the 8FS compared to any of the other Folders in the sub $500 category. Ordered the 2008 Downtube 8FS direct from http://www.downtube.com. It was on their sales page for $299. With shipping it came out to $331.00. You can't beat that price. I wanted drivers to be able to see me easily so I went with the bright Orange. It came in exactly 1 week from when I ordered it on the internet. Electrics are already on their way and hoping to get them in today or tomorrow. Here are the plans for the mod.
[pre][/pre]
Clyte 406 rear
Clyte half throttle
Clyte 48v 20amp Controller which can be used to 60v
Milwaukee Powertool V28 (Emolis) 2 packs in series and 3-4 packs in parallel (52V total 9-12ah)
Planning on ordering a Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EXP to house the batteries.
UPDATE: FINAL COMPONENTS LIST (6-16-08)
Clyte 405 rear
Clyte 24-36v 20amp peddle first which also can be used with 60v
Top Speed - 30-32mph with decent torque. Fine for overpasses...

[pre][/pre]IMG_0231.JPG
[pre][/pre]

Buzz, I know you had one. You were one of the reasons I went this way. Why'd you get rid of it?

I got a black 9FS. Still thinking on what motor to buy. I'm switching the shifter to Shimano rapidfire 7 and go with a 7 freewheel. Still debating on if i should place a 406 rear or a bafang that knuckles been advertising. I think my choice right now is the bafang with 72V 50A controller. One thing about downtube bike is there is no kick stand. Quality control is a bit poor, too much play in the stem. It wiggle when i ride and no adjustment will get rid of it completely. The rear brake mount is also crooked. One side is welded higher than the other. At the same time they don't fold flat as Dahon bike do. I test ride dahon bike before and the folded dimension put the downtube to shame. The suspension gimmic is a nice feature though. I think i should have went with a 8FS like you did since it was cheaper, mine came out to be 382 after shipping. I was going to replace the shifter anyway. I just wanted the rear disk brake mount in the 9FS. The 8FS also came with steel stem and handle bar which is probably more sturdy. Aluminum one feel like toys.

So at the moment the downtube is a tester for me into folding territory. I would want a dahon in the future too. Maybe even a smaller one with 16" wheel and 404 motor. I also got a classic walkthrough folding bike in the work. Made in 1978 ^__^. I cleaned it up and junk almost everything except frame and rim. Going to respoke and add a rear DC motor for a sleeper look. Can't wait to have neighborhood kids eat my dust on my girly looking bike

ngocthach1130,
I liked the price of the Downtubes and I liked the look of the 8FS. It looked like it had cleaner lines to me than the Dahons. I heard the build quality of Dahons is much more superior thus the higher prices. This is my first Folder too so its being built so I can take it Fishing, Camping and Picnics too far to ride to without having to put it on a bike rack. I'm already thinking of the next Bike.....Maybe SemiRecumbent like Jondohs Giant Revive project bike, which he still hasnt put any pictures up on this board. We did a night ride a couple nights ago til Midnight and his bike is real nice and comfortable. Then again everythings nice when you got a Phoenix powering up 20" rim and good suspension.

additional info:
John finally posted a pic of his Giant Revive so I stole his pic. Im sure he wont mind me bragging about his bike....

Attachments

• IMG_2296.JPG
    IMG_2296.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 7,412
Btw, are you going to replace the rear wheel too or keep it? i want to keep the rear rim but i didn't notice the downtube come in 24/28 spokes front/rear layout. I want to keep the rim to match front and rear but the cross section view of the rim is different than the standard double wall rim that come with most hub motor. This might cause problem with spoke length. At the same time i haven't even look at spoke pattern. Don't know how i'm going to arrange them to accommodate the conversion from 36 spokes to 28 rim.

I am very impressed by this particular folder!

I've never heard of Downtube before this posting, so seeing it for the first time and am quite impressed by the low price.

How does the ride feel as it is? Is it a comfortable bike?
Being that its dual suspension, does it do a decent job of soaking up the rough spots?

I only ask since, this has now moved to #1 on my potential next purchase.. I just want to make sure its money well spent! :mrgreen:

Yes I am very pleased with the new folder. Of course with the pricetag you get cheaper components compared to the Dahons but they do a pretty good job. The full suspension is why I bought it and they work really well. I will use this bike mainly for on-road and it soaks up the small baumps and cracks like my 26" mt bike. When riding you cant even tell you are on such a smaller wheeled bicycle. You cannot beat it for the price. Can't wait to get the components on to electrify it

Ric

Deafscooter already modded this Bike before ..
only problem is Center of folder can cracked
if you do ride too bumpy road and trailing ..
-
here is Other bike that same happen this yellow one
-
-
-
Also i own the 16 inche Bike with alloy Alum Frame
it have fragile on frame to easier break the hinged.
-
Here is my “Alum Folding Bike 180W” Electric Bike - Here is Cost only USD $349.95 as New.

joystix2 said:
Yes I am very pleased with the new folder. Of course with the pricetag you get cheaper components compared to the Dahons but they do a pretty good job. The full suspension is why I bought it and they work really well. I will use this bike mainly for on-road and it soaks up the small baumps and cracks like my 26" mt bike. When riding you cant even tell you are on such a smaller wheeled bicycle. You cannot beat it for the price. Can't wait to get the components on to electrify it

Ric

Alright, then that's essentially that. Guess I'll be seeing a Downtube in my near future. Thanks for the follow up Ric! I look forward to seeing your 'improvements' very soon :mrgreen:

More pics of the build. Almost done. I moved the shifter to the left side of the bar so I could get the throttle to the right side. Still waiting for my Topeak bag and rack so for now I stole the rack off my DB Phoenix'd monster mt bike. The controller is mounted on the underside of the rack. Ebikes.ca and I had some misscommunication and they sent me a 24-48v 20amp peddle first controller instead of the 48v20amp controller. After a phone call and some assurance from Ebikes.ca that the controller can handle up to 60v I decided to keep it. The peddle first is not an issue at all. You barely have to move and the controller starts to work. I actually like it better because theres no guessing on which wires go to which on the hall sensor connector since you dont need it. After hooking it up I took it for a testride late last night. It runs great with ample torque with teh 20" wheels and my mainly flat riding area. I don't know the speed yet but I just picked up a bike computer this morning. With the Ebikes.ca simulator I am expecting 25-28 mph which is what I was shooting for. Not bad for the price. Here are some build Pics with the final pics coming after I clean up all the wires.IMG_0393_800x600.jpgIMG_0390_800x600.jpg

I think the bikes that are cracking are the ones with no Suspension. Thats another reason why I picked the Full Suspension Downtube 8FS. I am hoping that the suspension will dampen most of the vibrations and jarring that the non suspension version cannot. It should help some in my opinion.

Yes, suspension will help.

I stand by what I wrote in that thread - the steerer tube is a shockingly bad design. I would do the mod that I suggested, even with front suspension.

Miles, Thanks I'll definitely look into it.

Ric

Ric,

If you can get someone to turn down a bit of steel tubing so that it's about .15mm diametral clearance with the inside of that steerer tube and then bond it in with Loctite 638, that should do the trick.

Oh yeah!

That's going to be one sweet ride when its done!

:mrgreen:

I just got back from a fathers-day weekend at Pismo Beach and my nephews college graduation from Cal Poly. I did a quick ride with the new Folder and had a great time on the hard packed beach. Still need to take some final photos but decided to wait til my Topeak bag and rack came in.... Heres a quick vid of my ride....

[youtube]i4TiIBL-XYk[/youtube]

pwbset, Jondoh set me up with the connector blocks. Check out his how to videos and you can see how the whole 56v packs are done...

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4455&p=67176#p67176

Ric

Ric
Absolutely stoked on your new ride, so much so, that I bit the bullet and got me one of my own from Dr. Yan!

I was going to wait till September, but after my wife got her new electric scooter..
http://www.x-tremescooters.com/electric_bicycles/xb500/images/xb-500-exploded-500.jpg and trying it out, I pretty much lost all impulse control and went ahead and got the bike.

The rest of it will have to wait till September, but plan on using the time to drop a few pounds on the new bike.

The link to the battery posting is just what the doctor ordered to tide me over till then!

As always, thanks for all the helpful information and I look forward to the final setup pics when you're ready to post them! :mrgreen:

Back