I will never buy from Luna Cycle again, if I don't have to

gncbikesADK

1 µW
Great group of guys to work with... until there is a problem. I ordered a set of cranks for a customer's e-bike from Luna and received them packaged in a soft bag. They were all scratched up as they had been rubbing against each other the entire way here to NY from Cali. I reached out to their customer service manager, who was little help and disinterested in fixing the issue. Tony told me that all of the Lekkie cranks are damaged, because they come from New Zealand. The first pair I bought from Luna several months ago arrived flawlessly, so this made little sense to me. I reached out to Lekkie and they gave me some other vendors to use, and warned me of Luna Cycle's abhorrent returns policy. And when I asked Luna Cycle to have the replacement set shipped in an actual box, I was told that they could not guarantee it. How can you not guarantee a box? So at that point I knew I had to cut ties with these guys.
But wait it gets better! Both Tony and Gary in customer service proceeded to tell me that I would have to wait for 3 weeks before I could get my refund. Why? The only reason I can think of is to deter people returning damaged merchandise. The cranks were conveniently on sale, too, which leads me to believe they knowingly sent me returned and/or damaged merchandise. I had to open an actual fraud case with PayPal to get my refund! And as soon as I did that, surprise surprise - My refund was processed. Shady business practices to say the least.
And the best part? Not even an apology through this entire mess. And that was all I really wanted! I was looking to establish a good business relationship, as I build custom e-bikes for our shop customers, but not with a vendor that could care less when I have a problem.
I recommend buying your Bafang parts and accessories elsewhere. I shudder to think what type of nonsense they would pull if I had to return a mid-drive.,.. Thankfully you can get ALL of the equipment elsewhere, and for the most part quite a bit cheaper than Luna Cycle. I recommend em3ev.com. They fast-tracked a set of Lekkie cranks to me in under a week and guess what? They arrived undamaged... and in an actual freaking box! Grin in Canada (ebikes.ca) also has great service and they stand behind the products they sel. And if you can't find the part you need, message me and I will help you find a reliable vendor - Don't give these guys your money!

I too have had problems with luna. I paid 250 extra for a higher amp bbshd and they sent the stock controller. Never got a refund. Nothing. Just a case number. These guys are bad. Really bad. Maybe criminal.

I haven't had anything but positive experiences with Luna, multiple orders over several years. Your post reads like a hit piece, especially given that it's the first post for that user name.

They didn't get that Audi R8 in the video on their channel by being a moral company I guess

Wolfeman said:
I haven't had anything but positive experiences with Luna, multiple orders over several years. Your post reads like a hit piece, especially given that it's the first post for that user name.
Any opinion on their advanced 36V, 48V and 60V chargers with readout (i.e. 80%, 90% or FULL charge with amperage selection).

Imagine they're made in Malaysia or China, but then what isn't. They would seem to be one of the best chargers, (if not the best) for the money ($99). Appreciate any real-life feedback experience with any one of these three chargers.

This is not really the correct place for the discussion, but then ....

If you want honest reviews of Luna products, you have to separate out those posters who are financially compensated for saying positive things about the company and its products. There are at least three long-time posters who have been so compensated, and almost certainly others. Unfortunately they do not announce themselves as paid spokesmen for the company.

EM3EV offers similar chargers and is a reputable vendor who stands behind his product.

AngryBob said:
This is not really the correct place for the discussion ... EM3EV offers similar chargers and is a reputable vendor who stands behind his product.
From the title of this thread and your response one could easily get the impression that Luna Cycle products are suspect and that the only positive reply on this thread may be by someone who is possibly compensated by Luna Cycle.

Having checked your EM3EV suggestion it seems that EM3EV no longer carries/sells ebike chargers ... https://em3ev.com/shop/?product_cat=ebike-chargers

Ok, so Luna advanced Chargers are also suspect (buyer beware). Hopefully, this is more in line with the purpose of this thread. Perhaps, you can suggest another ebike supplier that offers an "advanced" charger (80%, 90%, FULL with adjustable amperage) for around $100.

Bottomline: Luna advanced chargers for $99 are too good to be true.

I did not state ALL positive responses about Luna are from paid endorsers, just a significant percentage. Then there are the posts from the Luna owner himself under a false identity.

Always remember, somebody, somewhere, is quite happy with their Yugo. It is a matter of what failure rate is acceptable.

Warranty return of merchandise is something I deal with on a professional level, frequently, for decades. If you would examine the history of these two vendors in this area, including a large number of posts related to Luna in this regard which have been unfortunately deleted en masse, you would get a picture of how very dramatically differently the two vendors mentioned in this post have conducted their business over an extended period of time.

I highly doubt EM3EV has stopped selling chargers, they were one of the first to handle the selectable type, also the Satiator, and they were available fairly recently. I would strongly suspect this is some sort of website error, as the product is fairly essential for his product line. Note - just checked, and they are listed as an option with a motor kit, including the selectable charger. I would guess the web page search result was just an error.

luna cycle battery also failed after 30 cycles- upon inspection they tried to spot weld through three tabs. this connection fell apart and the battery is useless. My 3 stage charger also failed. luna responded back about my ludicrous upgrade that the output on the display is only 1/2 what the actual voltage is. they argue that when the display is saying 1500 watts - its really putting out 3000. i have built 20 electric bikes - and i know what a 30 amp controller feels like and what a 50 amp controller feels like - but i give up. even if i prove myself correct - they wont do anything for me- 3 of the 4 purchases were a failure- battery - controller , charger, - its time to let it go and move on. I might post pictures of the poor battery build

I just bought a 14s7p battery from EM3ev and got a 5a 90% charger for 70 bucks, could have gotten one of those fancy smart chargers for 300 but that seemed a bit much. If you have issues finding something email them, shipping is fast and they are very helpful and they are starting o have waterproof battery packs for the 7p and 5p cube batteries. I am not associated with them in any way just a happy customer. This is my first ebike battery but I have been reading and comparing for over a year and a half and I chose to trust EM3ev in Hong Kong rather than Luna which is 30 miles from where I live, I could go and knock on their door if I had a problem but after seeing how badly he wanted to bad talk the Cyc x1 pro in that video I realized this wasn't a company I wanted to do business with (plus they are overpriced, lol)

eMark said:
AngryBob said:
This is not really the correct place for the discussion ... EM3EV offers similar chargers and is a reputable vendor who stands behind his product.
From the title of this thread and your response one could easily get the impression that Luna Cycle products are suspect and that the only positive reply on this thread may be by someone who is possibly compensated by Luna Cycle.

Having checked your EM3EV suggestion it seems that EM3EV no longer carries/sells ebike chargers ... https://em3ev.com/shop/?product_cat=ebike-chargers

Ok, so Luna advanced Chargers are also suspect (buyer beware). Hopefully, this is more in line with the purpose of this thread. Perhaps, you can suggest another ebike supplier that offers an "advanced" charger (80%, 90%, FULL with adjustable amperage) for around $100.

Bottomline: Luna advanced chargers for $99 are too good to be true.

Cycle Analyst chargers are readily available on Amazon and is hands down the best charger I have ever used. I use it for charging all of my bikes (6s-24s) plus my spot welder battery and have even charged my next door neighbors 12v truck lead acid battery.

If your nominal battery voltage is between 12v-100v, you can pretty much charge to any percentage you want because you program in the cuttoff voltage yourself. I skimp on a lot of stuff, but the quality things to do with controlling Li-Ion batteries is not one of them.

st35326 said:
Cycle Analyst chargers are readily available on Amazon and is hands down the best charger I have ever used.
i'm not aware of a cycle analyst charger.

but there is a cycle satiator charger by grin tech, http://ebikes.ca , that does the things you describe. ;)

AngryBob said:
If you want honest reviews of Luna products, you have to separate out those posters who are financially compensated for saying positive things about the company and its products. There are at least three long-time posters who have been so compensated, and almost certainly others.
and at least one sphere moderator.
file.php

Unfortunately they do not announce themselves as paid spokesmen for the company.
https://web.archive.org/save/https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=98708&p=1523710

Ron - I respect your knowledge and expertise, and appreciate the valuable additions you have made to the forum.

HOWEVER - almost every male member of my family has been involved in retail sales going back to great-grandpa in his covered wagon in the late 1800s. I was taught to identify a "shill" almost from the time I could walk. There is no doubt and no question that you have, in fact, acted in that capacity for Luna in the past, for payment.

You yourself have stated you were paid to write articles for Eric's websites, which consist almost exclusively of puff-piece advertisements for his products. You have stated you were paid for these articles. Eric said in his own words you were involved in his business "from day one". Some or all of this content has likely been deleted from this forum.

As was a clear statement, which to my knowledge was accurate and legally correct, concerning additional damages available to consumer claims when a vendor knowingly sold a defective product, such statements clearly related to Luna, and these statements were deleted, not once, not twice, but THREE SEPERATE TIMES, including one post where no connection to Luna was made and no derogatory statements about the company were made in any shape or form. This is a matter of law which could be useful to the user base and should be available to them. The only person who would disagree would be a purveyor of shoddy merchandise, as a particular vendor most certainly was.

I for one would like to know who deleted those statements, and for what reason.

Would you like me to name the other two posters who inexplicably made attempts to defend Luna practices and products, each of whom also described receiving several hundred dollars worth of "free" product from that vendor, in subsequent posts?

It is my understanding that this vendor subsection of the forum was created specifically to contain posts concerning this particular company, their products, and business practices. This being after numerous such posts, and Eric's exceptionally unprofessional replies, were repeatedly deleted en masse. Such removals of user experience are actively harmful to the user base.

Since Eric and his minions like to threaten people with legal action, I am going to mention here that intentionally defrauding customers is a criminal act, and assisting such action can be considered to be an accessory action, or participating in a criminal conspiracy, which is usually ruled to be a felony.

I have seriously considered taking action in this area. To whomever it may concern, do not push me.
$25,000 leaves a paper trail.

amberwolf said:
st35326 said:
Cycle Analyst chargers are readily available on Amazon and is hands down the best charger I have ever used.
i'm not aware of a cycle analyst charger.

but there is a cycle satiator charger by grin tech, http://ebikes.ca , that does the things you describe. ;)

Good boy.

AngryBob said:
I have seriously considered taking action in this area. To whomever it may concern, do not push me.
$25,000 leaves a paper trail.

I don't understand. Are you accusing spinningmagnets of accepting a $25k bribe? :shock:

We don't need this crap here.

By now anyone who has been reading this forum for awhile, who still buys anything from Luna deserves what they get. It's been well documented that he is a bad vender with iffy products. I mean why take a chance with Luna when there are plenty of good venders around.

So - you have been here since 2008, and you know absolutely nothing about a $25,000 bribe being offered? I did not say to whom, but the offer was made. By Eric at Luna. Publicly.

The crap we do not need is cover-ups and hiding of such actions.

How about criminal threats of doxxing? By Eric at Luna. Publicly. Do you also not know about those? It happened twice, to two different people. This was a criminal act, and the deletion of these posts, combined with a refusal to make them available to victims, constitutes a second, very serious, criminal act. Proof exists and is in my possession.

How about enhanced Warranty protection and additional damages recoverable in the circumstances described? Available from Eric at Luna. Did you see this information posted? You would have had to look fast, before it was deleted.

If you really believe everyone who should know about Eric and his practices already does know, you are sadly mistaken. I have talked to people on the street who do not know, and read this site. Numerous posters, some of whom may actually not be Eric himself in disguise, sing his praises. At least two are regular, respected posters who have done so, at least in part, in return for cash value.
I am going to PM them and allow them a chance to speak on their own behalf. Then I will name the two and describe their actions.

As for Ron, he has received regular checks from Eric and has acted in his behalf. Eric himself stated Ron has been involved in his business "from day one". That post has likely also been deleted.

I do wish to point out that Ron has appeared to make a real effort to be at least somewhat even-handed, in his support of a substandard vendor, especially compared to the other Luna-tics, in his public postings. Behind the scenes actions, I do not know, but there is definitely a conflict of interest.

Lots of deletions going on. Few have the power to do so. A lump sum of $25,000 constitutes a powerful motivation.

Man. Shill if I ever saw one. Lol.

As a moderator, I recuse myself from any conflicts involving Luna Cycle.

Before I was asked to help with moderating (*mostly nuking spam, but sometimes locking flame-threads), I wrote articles for electricbike.com

I still write, and get paid per article. When Barent was asked if he would be be willing to help as a moderator, it was with the written understanding that he could not participate in any moderation involving Kinaye/WCEC, which was his business.

He was very helpful for quite some time, but he became busy enough, that he retired from moderating. I've been trying to get more moderators, so I can withdraw, but the new moderators keep leaving.

ES owes a debt of gratitude to Amberwolf and Mark5, who both tirelessly spend hours of their life each week trying to keep the peace, and also flagging spam.

It's not unreasonable to be suspicious of my motives and agenda, but my posts are available for everyone to review. If three moderators request that I step away from all moderating duties, I am happy to comply, with no hard feelings.

I would just feel sorry for the poor bastard who will have to pick up the workload.

PS, I used to say that I was a writer for electricbike.com in my sig, and at one time also "which is owned by Luna", but...there were complaints that my sig was an advertisement.

I'm happy to put that back in my sig, if it will clear up any concerns about a hidden conflict of interest.

Just to even the score a little (and be called a shill again, or Eric in disguise even though I've never met or talked to him) I've purchased two BBS02's, three batteries and numerous incidental parts from Luna over the past five or so years. There was one problem years ago, and Luna corrected it very quickly. My first battery from them, 52V, 10 ah is in its fifth year powering a BBS02 offroad or a 48V, 1000w rear hub system for errands. Can't say anything but good things about Luna.

spinningmagnets said:
As a moderator, I recuse myself from any conflicts involving Luna Cycle.

Before I was asked to help with moderating (*mostly nuking spam, but sometimes locking flame-threads), I wrote articles for electricbike.com

I still write, and get paid per article. When Barent was asked if he would be be willing to help as a moderator, it was with the written understanding that he could not participate in any moderation involving Kinaye/WCEC, which was his business.

He was very helpful for quite some time, but he became busy enough, that he retired from moderating. I've been trying to get more moderators, so I can withdraw, but the new moderators keep leaving.

ES owes a debt of gratitude to Amberwolf and Mark5, who both tirelessly spend hours of their life each week trying to keep the peace, and also flagging spam.

It's not unreasonable to be suspicious of my motives and agenda, but my posts are available for everyone to review. If three moderators request that I step away from all moderating duties, I am happy to comply, with no hard feelings.

I would just feel sorry for the poor bastard who will have to pick up the workload.

PS, I used to say that I was a writer for electricbike.com in my sig, and at one time also "which is owned by Luna", but...there were complaints that my sig was an advertisement.

I'm happy to put that back in my sig, if it will clear up any concerns about a hidden conflict of interest.
While I was perhaps unfairly critical on my part, you’ve done one helluva job. Thank you.

Back