Prius Gen1 parts

j bjork

1 MW
I am able to get parts from a prius gen 1, but I don't know what is useful?
I have searched for info online, and have fond some. If someone has links for wiring diagrams, manuals and suchI am interested.

There are 2 electric motors, both built in to the transmission. So I guess they are hard to use for something else?
The controller might be useful? But it seems to have a dc booster to boost the input voltage from the battery?

The battery, NIMH.I don't know in what condition, but probably pretty worn. Old car with many miles I am told.

The NiMH batteries in the Prius are solid, but for how many you'll need to equal a lithium pack versus how much you're spending on the vehicle it might not be worth it. The plastic cases are hardy tho, and they really only need air-cooling.

All the projects to use the inverter I know of use the Gen2 prius, not the Gen1. I think the major reason was just that there's far more 2s.

Finally, both the motors are basically 'built' into the transmission, to the point where you'd have to have a custom mounting jig to use them in any sort of vehicle or form of transport. You're also working with a CVT trans, which has a lot of small parts and it built to operate under very high pressures. This pic shows it well, but I think it's a gen2 not a gen1. As far as I know, there's few differences between them.

Toyota-Prius-II-hybrid-powertrain-Courtesy-of-Toyota-Motor-Co-To-be-employed-in.png

Thanks, I have found some info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

About the car, I saw it today. There was no reaction when I tried to turn on the ignition, but I was not able to test if there are any 12v or anything. It has probably not been used for a while, and it is possible the hv battery is discharged or was bad to start with. But I don't really know anything about its history.

A leaf or something would of course be a lot more interesting, but I can pick parts from this more or less for free probably. I guess it will be some kind of barter. It is a friend who runs a car junkyard who has it, he told my because he knows I´m in to these kind of things :lol:

More info about the inverter, dc-dc converters etc. would be interesting if someone knows.

There's more info on DIYElectricCar forums about this stuff than here on ES, but there are some threads here that discuss the Prius inverter (which AFAIK also has the 12v DC-DC in it), including some of the Lebowski brain threads. Some people have disconnected the Prius brain in the inverter and wired up the Lebowski brain to it instead, to use the high-quality powerstages in there; I'm doing something similar with a Honda IMA inverter over here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=105711

There are also Prius-specific forums out there, both for repair and for mods and DIY, that will have far more information than the general EV forums.

Back