elik1111

100 W
I have to wire the following components:
- 1,500W motor
- SW 900 LCD
- E brakes
- 48V battery
- Lien 12 FET controller

I am replacing a burned out old controller with this new one and I am not sure I am able to do that on my own.

Any help. also paid will be appreciated,

Thanks
Eli

Can anybody assist in wiring these two? I am replacing a smaller controller that got burned out with this new controller.
The motor and battery connections are obvious but with the LCD, I would like to receive the same level of information as before.
I still have the old controller connected but its a kind of messy wiring that was done by the manufacturer in China.

Plz advise,

elik1111 said:
Can anybody assist in wiring these two? I am replacing a smaller controller that got burned out with this new controller.
The motor and battery connections are obvious but with the LCD, I would like to receive the same level of information as before.
I still have the old controller connected but its a kind of messy wiring that was done by the manufacturer in China.

Plz advise,

They won't work together. (The best you could probably do is a voltage display) Afraid you need to decide which direction you want to go. Either purchase a CA3 for the Lyen 12FET or try to find a controller like the smaller burned out one you had.

I went through the exact same decision process and purchased the CA3 for my 12FET Lyen Controller.

Extremely happy with the decision!

The LCD is powered directly by the battery. It works independently from the controller, but is able to communicate with a controller provided that both have compatible software and the correct data protocols.

You can switch on the LCD by connecting the red and black wires to the battery. It will then light up as normal and display the battery voltage correctly.

When it's switched on, it also switches on a third wire (normally blue or orange) that provides the battery power for the controller. Note that the power for any controller is actually independent from the power to the motor. This third wire can then be used as the ignition wire for the controller so that you will be able to switch the controller on and off from the LCD, which is much more convenient than using a separate high power battery switch.

The other two wires to the LCD are for data (Tx and Rx), where the controller sends information about speed and power, and the LCD sens information about PAS levels and speed limits. You can't use them with a Lyen controller, so none of the other LCD functions will work.

The LCD SW900 is made by King Meter. It's compatible with LSW controllers and some Ananda ones, but I don't know which others.

Yes, that is exactly what I found out and why I decided on the CA3.

On /off and battery level was only function available with existing lcd .

Htfan said:

Wouldn't it have been a lot cheaper and more convenient to buy a compatible controller?

d8veh said:
Htfan said:

Wouldn't it have been a lot cheaper and more convenient to buy a compatible controller?

It would be if I wanted status quo. However, the 12 FET Controller with the CA3 is an entirely different experience. Now I get to configure, adjust, modify, hack, tweek etc! In my opinion, it is a much better option.

Your controller and lcd display are not compatible. There is a more detailed response in your other post on this subject.

Hopefully there is someone/bike shop in your area that can help you

Thanks guys. I guess that's what happened to me. The LCD turns on and shows the battery power but nothing else.
I m planing to upgrade the motor to 3,000W - 48V in the future and would like to get a correct decision that will be good then also.
I m not sure this Lien 12 Fet controller will support the new motor and if I have to go for a stringer controller then what display will support the new configuration.

Does anybody know where I can buy the compatible SW 900 controllers and what is the strongest available?

Hi d8veh,
Thanks for your detailed reply to my question regarding the LCD SW900 pairing with lien controller. I would like to get a 60A matching controller with the LCD SW900 that I am having now instead of changing to CA display, You mentioned LEW controllers and another brand. Do you know where I can get them?
Thanks
Eli

The controllers I know are all low power ones. I think I mentioned Li Shui and Ananda controllers.

http://www.lsdzs.com/en.php/product/index/id/56.html
http://www.ananda.com.cn/index.php/product/dlist/cid/2.html

Yes, unfortunately, they are all low power controllers.
I can see that there are high power kits on Alibaba which offered with that LCD but they offer a complete kit and not a stand alone controller.

It seems that the best option will be to get a CA3 display but I can still run into wiring problem trying to identify the correct phase an hall wiring for my specific motor.

elik1111 said:
Yes, unfortunately, they are all low power controllers.
I can see that there are high power kits on Alibaba which offered with that LCD but they offer a complete kit and not a stand alone controller.

It seems that the best option will be to get a CA3 display but I can still run into wiring problem trying to identify the correct phase an hall wiring for my specific motor.

Again for my requirements, the CA3 with the Lyen Controller was the best decision. However you need to make your own decision.

The phase wires were not too difficult to figure out for the 9C motor I run .

Hey elik,
I'm a noob, so take the following fwiw. My kit came with a SW-900 and a 48v DC MOTO controller which I've recently learned may also be known as MXUS. Funny, I'm the opposite of you. I recently purchased a KT-LCD3 display (more features than the SW-900) but it would not work with my DC MOTO controller. Went ahead and bought a KT controller - too bad for me, still can't get the KT-LCD3 fully functioning. Anyhow, I don't know how high powered the DC MOTO / MXUS controllers get but it usually has a black 5 pin connector to work with the SW-900 (the KT-LCD3 has a white 5 pin connector with similar wiring though; while the CA has 6 pins). Hope this somewhat helps.

d8veh or anyone else, please feel free to correct any misstatements.

So actually you say that the MXUS/DC Moto controller you have can actually with the SW-900?
Where can I order this controller? Why wont you get also the SW-900? I really liked that a lot.

I am also considering getting the CA 3 which works with Lien controller.

Meantime, if I had thought that the LCD was my only problem, I was demn wrong. I can not even get the motor work normally with the controller.
What I found out the hard way is that that there are 36 combinations of wiring the 3 Phase wires and the 3 hall wires to the controller depends on the specific motor and it can be any one of them that turns the motor to the right direction and smoothly. Any other combination wont work. Now go find the right one.

What I have learned the hard way is that its very important to stick to the same supplier because this industry totally lacks of standard and nothing is compatible with nothing!

Correct. I got my kit from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Electric-Bicycles/74469/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=allinone168 . There is also eBikeling http://ebikeling.com/#/accessories/controllers (also has ebay store) they had DC MOTO controllers just a month ago. Give them a call. They are in the U.S., if you are.

I am also having problems with my new controller and LCD display. What's frustrating is that they are the same brand - KT - but so far, not plug n play. I don't think mine is a phase or Hall wire problem. I think the controller is defective. Anyway, good luck to us both!

rote said:
I am also having problems with my new controller and LCD display. What's frustrating is that they are the same brand - KT - but so far, not plug n play. I don't think mine is a phase or Hall wire problem. I think the controller is defective. Anyway, good luck to us both!

I doubt very much that there's something wrong with your controller unless you mis-connected something. I would suggest that you start your own thread and give details of what problem you are experiencing.It probably has a simple solution.

As usual, thanks d8veh. I've piggybacked other threads and you've been helpful there. Okay I'll try to start my own thread this weekend.

I contacted King-Meter in China, the manufacturer of the SW-900 LCD and they recommended a controller manufacturer in China - "Lishui" that is competible with their LCD. Good to know for the future. I m going to search for them.

Okay, good to know. Also wanted to clarify. After more searching, I think MXUS is the hub motor (not the controller). I have seen MXUS kits with both KT and DC MOTO controllers.

After finding out the correct wiring of Lien 12 fet controller to my to my 1500W motor and 52V battery and riding it smoothly for few minutes I found out that the controller gets teriblly hot and even the wires isulation gets melted.
Does anybody know what can probably the reason?
Of course I stopped riding it.
Is it because the controller is not strong enough for the battery and motor? The motor is 1,500 W current but 3,000W pick.

Anybody had the same experience? I m wondering if a more power full controller would avoids the heating problem. It happens after 2-3 minutes only.

elik1111 said:
After finding out the correct wiring of Lien 12 fet controller to my to my 1500W motor and 52V battery and riding it smoothly for few minutes I found out that the controller gets teriblly hot and even the wires isulation gets melted.
Does anybody know what can probably the reason?
Of course I stopped riding it.
Is it because the controller is not strong enough for the battery and motor? The motor is 1,500 W current but 3,000W pick.

Anybody had the same experience? I m wondering if a more power full controller would avoids the heating problem. It happens after 2-3 minutes only.

Could be your battery/phase amp settings. I'm running the same controller at 72v and 2800 watts without an issue.

Are you taking about the phase wires or battery wires melting? How have you configured the controller?

I m talking about the phase wires and the controller itself is burning hot.
I got it configured by Lien to my battery size. It gets very hot after few minutes.

elik1111 said:
I m talking about the phase wires and the controller itself is burning hot.
I got it configured by Lien to my battery size. It gets very hot after few minutes.

What is your "phase current" setting and what guage wire?

What motor do you have? Is this the same motor you had with your old controller that burned out... ?

By the way, Lyen can help if you are not sure of current settings.

Yes, I have the same motor 1500w current, 3000w pick.
I had to try all the wiring combinations until I found the correct pass and hall setting. Lien could not help. But the motor works fine until I ride fast and begin to hit up. The pass wires I beleluve 10- 12 awg- what comes out of the controller.
I suspect that as Lien said the 12 fet, 40A and it can't handle 52V battery and 1500- 3000W. What do you think?
BTW. The support I get from him is very weak and slow.

Back