• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Thermal Image Camera?

You didn't specify what you need it for, but from what I've seen they pretty much do what they say on the box. The things that will vary between cameras are basically the resolution (pixel count), thermal range (number of degrees between the bottom and top of the colour scale, usually this can be changed in the settings) and possibly an optical zoom function.

Really they're not much different from a regular digital camera in how they work, they're just tuned for the infrared spectrum instead of the visible spectrum, and much like regular cameras they vary considerably in cost and capabilities.

If you're dealing with something close to you, and static, and don't need to know the temperature to .01 degrees you can probably get by with something fairly cheap compared to say what you'd need to track a fleeing human on the ground from a fast moving helicopter. Which is something you really shouldn't do. It's totally unfair.

I remember seeing they do well with looking thru certain colors of cloth/clothing :oops: ? I have no idea what you want it for though. I know there are some nice mono and binoculars that allow really cool views of the night sky, mostly (if not all) made in Russia, but there is nothing privately available like for a standard telescope where you can also record or even go high magnification.

Anyway, I'd look on youtube- people have done alot of reviewing on those smartphone cameras and apps on there. I'm curious what you're trying to do and what you find out.

I think Infra Red (IR) cameras are a very useful tool, and I am just waiting for the prices to come down.

Here we can see that the motor is hot, and the batteries and tires are warm. It "looks like" the controller is on top of the battery, and it is also warm. One pic of an actual system under real-world expected loads is worth a dozen theories...

MotorHeatIR.png

FLIR cam's rock and work awesome.

The only trick to watch out for is when looking at anything shiny, they tend to reflect IR from other objects into the camera and hence give you the temps of the reflected objects rather than the surface temperature of the shiny object. Fortunately, a dusting of flat black spray paint (or sticking bits of electrical tape on places you want temps) tends to fix that minor issue.

Thanks Luke, that is very useful info. I just did a google search, and this popped up. Flir-One for smart-phones, $250 (guess I won't be buying one this year, I'm looking for $99 when the cheapest ones get down to $49...

FLIR-ONE-iOS-Android.png

silviasol said:
I want to use them to see inside walls. I need to know if there are studs behind a wall or concrete when I am looking for a condo. I just made another thread about that. I figure if someone has one they could check that out before I spend the ~$250 on one.

Just tap on the wall with your knuckle?

Punx0r said:
silviasol said:
I want to use them to see inside walls. I need to know if there are studs behind a wall or concrete when I am looking for a condo. I just made another thread about that. I figure if someone has one they could check that out before I spend the ~$250 on one.

Just tap on the wall with your knuckle?

Yes but aren't there still studs connected to the concrete? I would imagine something would be there to hold anything you would need to bold to the walls.

Drunkskunk said:
I bought a Seek Thermal camera, as it said it was compatible with my phone. It doesn't work, because my version of the phone doesn't have functional OTG USB. it took me a month to figure out the problem. My model phone is OTG compatible, but this phone's hardware revision didn't include it.

So you have one just can't get it to work?

Yes but aren't there still studs connected to the concrete? I would imagine something would be there to hold anything you would need to bold to the walls.

Unless you can observe the varying density of wall material quickly changing temperature from ambient, I'm not sure how one of these things would work to identify what's behind drywall/plaster. Maybe on a wall getting hard sunlight in an air conditioned house, or if you have that rail gun Arnold likes from 'Eraser'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCeCVZqcpnE

But, there's some simple ways to tell that come along with basic building/construction knowledge/experience. If you don't know one closely, consider hiring a contractor or someone with building experience to do one walk thru with you. They likely can give a bunch of valuable reusable pointers for construction in your area.

...or simply buy a $20 electronic "Stud Finder" from your local hardware store ! :roll:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Metal-Detector-Wood-Stud-Finder-Electronic-Wire-Sensor-Cable-Scanner-TS78B/401245403555?_trksid=p2045573.c100507.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D39923%26meid%3D914382d93740404ea155d0ce0de564f1%26pid%3D100507%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

nutspecial said:

Unless you can observe the varying density of wall material quickly changing temperature from ambient, I'm not sure how one of these things would work to identify what's behind drywall/plaster. Maybe on a wall getting hard sunlight in an air conditioned house, or if you have that rail gun Arnold likes from 'Eraser'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCeCVZqcpnE

But, there's some simple ways to tell that come along with basic building/construction knowledge/experience. If you don't know one closely, consider hiring a contractor or someone with building experience to do one walk thru with you. They likely can give a bunch of valuable reusable pointers for construction in your area.

nutspecial said:
Simply guaging the standard area's building methods and wall thickness, combined with perhaps getting access to basement, attic, or even simply removing an electrical receptacle will tell alot.
Good advise. Most building codes require a fire wall/ceiling between units. Fire proof building materials can be drywall, concrete, of anything that don't burn. To test how noise travels between units in a multi unit building you could yell.

I live in a 2 family [upper and lower] old house. I dislike noise and people so much that the other apartment is vacant.

Most modern concrete residential units here are steel stud/drywall over the concrete. A magnetic stud finder will have no trouble finding those very accurately.

Even the cheap stud finders have no trouble locating wood studs behind dry wall.
..hint, i always verify stud location by peircing the drywall with a thin spike ( watchmakers screwdriver ?) before installing fixing screws etc.

Whilst I use the tapping method and a finish nail to confirm studs, as most of my places have plaster/lathe and/or drywall/plaster/lathe, the studfinders typically do metal too, and I think that's prob tru modern complexes are more likely to use metal studs with concrete walls. The damn seller/agent should know, or I'd be pulling a receptacle to be sure.

I bought the Seek thermal imaging camera for my iphone. It does show studs in walls if there is enough difference between the room temp and the temp of whats behind the wall; I didn't expect this and at first wondered what the pattern of lines were as I was checking quality of insulation job. Then it dawned on me - ceiling joists and studs. Doesnt work as well thru subflooring.

I am just going to go out on an limb and purchase one regardless of concrete walls. I figure anyone who spends ~200k on a small condo will not be riff raff type. Just going to do my research about renters in the building before purchasing.
Not to knock renters as I was one for 8 years but why in the world would you spend the same amount of money or less then the cost of a mortgage would be. And that is with a small down payment on a 120k to 150k home. All that money is thrown out the window! Do people just not know math? I only was able to afford renting a room for $500 a month, but $1300 to $1500 is just way out there.

IBScootn said:
I bought the Seek thermal imaging camera for my iphone. It does show studs in walls if there is enough difference between the room temp and the temp of whats behind the wall; I didn't expect this and at first wondered what the pattern of lines were as I was checking quality of insulation job. Then it dawned on me - ceiling joists and studs. Doesnt work as well thru subflooring.

Can you send pics? I figured it would do that just because the space between a wall will hold heat or cold.

Renting does have some advantages: it carries almost no financial risk: the owner pays for any repairs. Also, if property prices drop the renter just reaps the reward of lower rent, whereas the owner might end up in negative equity.

silviasol,

what the camera shows is the difference in temps between the hollow areas of drywall and the drywall over the studs. as long as the stud is a different temp than the drywall, it will heat/cool the small area of drywall over it. great for checking how the wall was built, which way the joists run, is there sufficient insulation, is there moisture behind the wall and checking air leaks. also great for helping dumb neighbors find their lost pets. hear a noise at night, its a great way to see if anyone is lurking inside or outside of the house.

Back