1500 watt motor, lifepo4 batt

topever

10 µW
Hi guys,
Does anybody have any experience with running a 48 volt 20ah lifepo4 battery pack on a 1500 watt motor?
Looking for any info on pheasabilty, range< performance, etc. I'm building an aluminum frame downhill with a BMC 1500 watt brushless motor.
Trying to keep weight down so I'm looking at Pings 48v-20ah pack split in two, half on the back, half on the front. I think the 30 ah pack will be too big, heavy and expensive. But on the other hand I don't want shoot myself in the foot and find out 20ah won't cut it. Surely somebody has some knowledge on this. Could you please share?
Thanks. Gene.

The 48 volt, 20 amp is the cheapest per kWh of all his packs. I run the 36 volt, 30 amp pack on a 350 watt motor at 10-15 amp draw. It works great for this size motor.

I have considered building a 1500 watt "moped" bicycle. I would run a 72 volt, 60 amp pack. But I want longer range. If you are just squirting down the road for 15-30 miles, like many on this list, I would go with a small, higher C rated pack. The 48 volt, 20 amp Ping would be running at 1.5-2 C continually, with a 1500 watt rated motor. It would not be happy, and you would be reducing its life considerably.

LiPo........... Easier than you think, Cheap, Powerful, Lasts just as long...MUCH LIGHTER!

lesse..

1500w / 48v = 31.25A..
That 48v 20AH ping battery puts out 40A maximum..

Now you need to find out if the controller for that motor actually puts out more than 40A. That '1500w' number might be nominal and not a peak value. Peak amps could exceed 40a... find out!

However;
A ping will perform best at it's nominal ( 1C ), not maximum discharge rate ( 2C )..
For minimum voltage sag, and for the rated 1000+ cycle life, what you really want is to run that battery near 1C.

So yeah, you will want a giant & heavy >20lb 30AH pack, or look into another chemistry altogether.

Thanks for spainsinit to me guys. Looks like it's going to be a 30 ah pack from Ping. I don't have the expertise to build a lipo pack. And have not been able to find one that has all the proper components built in like Pings packs. I keep reading about revolutionary tech right around the corner, but nothing on the market yet. It will probably show up right after I shoot my wad on this lifepo4 pack.

Back