150cc scooters selling like hot cakes

Motorbikes are hot items. My Progressive insurance rep said they are writing 4:1 (moto:auto) this spring/summer.

@Link: As long as mummy ain't using the car anyway... take it apart :twisted: :
HF jackstands
Craftsman socket set
Nitrile gloves

Don't take apart the pistons in the calipers or drums, you'll need to bleed then. Not a real biggie, but brake fluid is nasty.

Get the book if you're stuck somewhere in the process (last resort :mrgreen: ).

GASSTINKS said:
The added exercise of the e-bike is a nice benefit. But, I noticed that during summer months I'm getting much more sun exposure due to wearing a bike helmet vs. a full motorcycle helmet. At 4:30 in the afternoon when I ride home, the left side of my body is always in direct contact with the sun for about 40 minutes (sun sets in the west, I ride back home in a south to north direction). I'm starting to wonder about the benefits of exercise vs. the detrimental effects of years of increased sun exposure. Might have to upgrade my bike helmet to a downhill-style full face mountain bike helmet, just to block the sun. In California, everyone is paranoid about skin cancer. I've already had two-moles removed which had the potential to turn into melanoma.

How about just putting on some sunscreen?

Jay64 said:
GASSTINKS said:
How about just putting on some sunscreen?

I do. The left side of my face, my left arm, and my left knee is still darker than the right. It reminds me of when I owned a Jeep and drove it around with its bikini top (a piece of canvas which only covers the top portion over the driver / passenger). By mid summer, my left knee and arm were almost brown.

GASSTINKS said:
It reminds me of when I owned a Jeep and drove it around with its bikini top (a piece of canvas which only covers the top portion over the driver / passenger). By mid summer, my left knee and arm were almost brown.
LOL... I've been workin on so many cars in my driveway this summer, my shins & ankles are getting tan. (the rest of me is under the cars)

TylerDurden said:
GASSTINKS said:
LOL... I've been workin on so many cars in my driveway this summer, my shins & ankles are getting tan. (the rest of me is under the cars)

You've gotta start buffing it (a lot) in the buff to even out your parfait tan.
Whenever I see somebody shampooing their car I tell them it's not going to make any difference.
Because the damn thing is still going to stink as soon as they start it up.

Zoot Katz said:
Whenever I see somebody shampooing their car I tell them it's not going to make any difference.
Because the damn thing is still going to stink as soon as they start it up.
Troo that...

...but it will look so much nicer next to the wildflowers growing around it when the fuel is too expensive to buy.

I agree on the car posts, Link. Drums cost very little, but again, unless paper thin, just use em. They are shucking your mom on the price, and covering thier liability by wanting to put new ones on. Will the old drums wear out the new shoes faster? Yes they will, but now that you know how to do a brake job, the cost of new shoes is very small. Look at it this way, it won't be long till you are converting some old car to electric, so learn some of this stuff now on mom's car.

In less than 10 times that a real mechanic worked on my cars, since 1970, i didn't get taken twice. Sometimes malicious, other times, just fixing not broken stuff till they find the broken thing. Or breaking things working on the car and wanting me to pay. Last fall, under a deadline for a vacation, I ended up paying $1000 to change a spark plug. By the time the third mechanic found the problem , I had a 90% new ignition system in the truck.

Actually replace random parts till you catch on mechanics are the worst. These days , it it doesn't code they are clueless in my town. On my truck last year, the code said ignition system. The plugs were brand new, I just didn't know the first mechanic broke one installing it. I had put the plugs in myself, properly, but when my distributor died, the turkey broke the number one plug and damaged the wire doing the TDC thing installing a new distributor. I got desperate for a fix since I was going to Chiuhuahua city in the thing and did not want a shitty running truck in mexico. The problem was hard to diagnose since it was intermittent.

Anyone ever see the Letterman show with the person trying to sell hotcakes in downtown NYC? Nary a customer to be had.

I do believe the scooters are selling at a much higher rate.

I love my ZX3 Kona Focus more than 8 years old now and almost 25,000 miles no problems so far.

Stupid gassers. I wore sandals for the first time (shoes were wet)... feet got sunburnt. :evil:

Focus could be a good conversion donor, esp. a wagoon.

TylerDurden said:
Stupid gassers.

Yes I would agree. See far too many of them riding with shorts and sandals on, especially women. They obviously haven't checked out the abrasive qualities of asphalt .....yet.

i ride a harley and do wear shorts when its hot out this makes me pay more attention to the other idiots on the road because wether its their fault or not
a accedent on a bike still hurts and should be avoided
there have been many times that some one pulled out on be and i avoided a crash that in most liklyhood would have happened in my car
because since i was on the bike my full atteneion was on driving not talking on the cell,talking to a passenger, playen with the radio,eating food or drink and such.
you would be suprised what percentage of accidents could be avoided if 100 percent of our focous was on the road and not all the other things we do when we drive

I have ridden heavily in the past and still rattle around on my Servicar from time to time. Got my first Panhead in '71 and granted, the lack of front brakes and the raked frame with the 12" over springer limited the responsiveness. Laying it down at 60mph was not a fun thing to do but no choice given the circumstances. Sliding down the hiway ground through buffalo hide leathers and still took a few good sized patches of skin muscle and bone with it. I thought I was being careful and 100% attentive but the citizen in the cage won that time. Could happen to anyone.... especially the inexperienced, so don't discount the use of proper riding attire.

Add the bonus of all that hot steel and aluminum between your legs on a cycle compared to the enclosed rear scooter motor and exhaust should also give one pause for thought. Please don't anyone wear sandals with those shorts when you ride. I get queezy just thinking about the burns I got through a pair of heavy denims and tennis shoes from my trusty WL Gertrude a few decades back.

IMHO one should rethink the risk reward factor before slipping on their speedo's and flip flops then blasting around, I hate to see anyone get hurt more that they have to, especially contributing board members, and if your packing, don't let your passengers under dress either.

Disfiguring someone for life is a heavy burden.

i dont have flipflops usally nike's or a cheap converse style ive even went out in my shorts and was riding home with them and a leather jacket that
must have looked funny
i ;ove choppers and may buy one one day but i feel much safer on my sportster it handels just about the same as 2 bikes i grew up when i was younger
a honda cb350 and also a honda 400 nighthawk even though my sportster is about 100 lbs heaveyer it has that "sportbike" feel real twitchy a lot of harly riders
dont like that and thats why a sportster has a bad reputation as being called a girlsbike,dirtbike, not a real harley but for anything other than a road trip
its my first choice
but a roadking would be nice for a long interstate cruise

I've ridden 50cc 2strokes and an 80cc 4stroke, but the 125 to 200cc range is about perfect for versitility. Thats what I have now. Bigger than 200 is good on freeways but you lose some of the advantages for the streets. And the way they charge for the big ones, you can buy a better motorcycle for less money.. Anyway I'm glad the medium ones are selling like hotcakes. its about time. I am starting to see a few around here, still not enough!

well that girls only fault was in her choice of boyfriend

"Hot cakes" don't really sell that fast anymore.

truckerzero said:
well that girls only fault was in her choice of boyfriend

Heh. I was thinking he's probably not her boyfriend anymore.

D-Man said:
"Hot cakes" don't really sell that fast anymore.

This statement made me realize that I actually wasn't sure what a "hot cake" was. So I think it's a pancake?

how about 150cc scooters selling like budweiser because after you see the gas prices you need to just go home and have a drink

Where in the hell did the "speedos and flip flops" come from? :lol: That was a disturbing mental image. :lol: If you got severe road rash from 60mph in buffalo leathers then you probably got a really crappy pair of leathers. I have crashed at over 150 mph and slid for over 150 feet and didn't get road rash. Good quality leathers are well worth their price. Also, just a tip for when you do crash, keep moving your body so that you don't have one single spot on the ground for too long. Even if you don't tear through your leathers, it still gets REALLY hot. Trust me on this one, I have had over 30 crashes at speed and haven't worn through any of my leathers yet.

As far as that chick falling off the back of the bike, she freaked out and pushed herself away from the bike. She should have held on and nothing would have happened to her. He was at fault for doing a wheelie with such on obviously inexperienced rider on the back, but the reason she came off the bike was her fault.

jay good points one question are your riding leathers any better than the typical black motorcycle jacket and pants that harley riders wear?
if so maby we need riding leathers tthat look like harley style stuff but have the protection of the suit i think your referig to that you wear
yours is the same thing crouch rocket race bike riders wear correct? im assuming this because of your avatar correct me if im wrong just wondering

Yeah, I use full racing leathers. (I don't street ride any more, just on the track) But Buffalo hide is supposed to be thicker then cow, so it should have held up pretty decent at 60mph. I have had some road crashes with just regular riding jackets and they held up good too. But I have also seen certain brands of racing leathers pop open at the first contact with the track. The money spent on good quality leather is well worth it. It doesn't matter how good the actual leather is, if the stitching isn't done properly they will just open up.

so its more the stiching
well a lot of leathers are made in the middle east i dont know if there are any made here
but they would probabaly be of a higher quality but they would be much pricyer

Back