18650 cell test: Panasonic vs. LG

I've only built 1S14P so far for testing - had it in series with my existing Lipo pack for discharge/internal resistance testing etc while riding. I purchased the cells and had it assembled by supowerbattery111 on ebay as recommended by other forum members. They charged me about $11 per cell including welding and assembly. But I think I can source them cheaper here in Australia so will probably buy the rest locally.

My plan is to build 13S out of 1S14P 'modules' connected in series. If a cell goes bad I will replace a whole module - saves going looking for dud cells in paralleled sets (been there with lipos). The whole pack should weigh under 9kg for 47Ah (40Ah usable). Should be good for over 130km range :D

Panasonic 18650 cells usually test at the top for quality consistently. Why go with Chinese junk ? I just bought 220 18650 PD cells from CENTREX International for $4 per cell only $14 shipping LA to Sacramento. All cells at 3.62 or 3.61 v. How do they ship 23 lbs of Li batteries for $14 ?

burningwings said:
Panasonic 18650 cells usually test at the top for quality consistently. Why go with Chinese junk ?
Dear burningwings,
all my cells come from a trusted source. I bougth several thousands of variaus cells from that source and there never were any problems.
The problem is with my test's compatibility: those panasonic cells are not permitted to be charged at such rate. They are able to charge at max 4 hour rate.
Take yoour 'good' cells and charge them identically as I did and you will see same the same result.
However LG cells were absolutely fine.

Back