1985 Mazda RX7 EV for sale $15,000

Lock

100 MW
Cool build for sure! VERY clean!

Hi,

Who in CA would pay 15k for DIY Lead Sled conversion of a used car with 90k miles and with a 30 mile range when a new Nissan Leaf with a 24kWh Lithium pack and a 100 mile range is going to sell for 20k?

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/30/business/la-fi-nissan-leaf31-2010mar31
The all-electric Nissan Leaf hatchback will cost $32,780 when it hits showrooms in December, the Japanese automaker said Tuesday.

But government subsidies will make the price more attractive.

There's a federal tax credit of $7,500 for electric vehicles. And Californians are eligible for an additional $5,000 rebate through the state Air Resources Board.

That will lower the base price for the standard Leaf, in California, to $20,280.

Gee, why would someone want to get rid of an awesome electric conversion like this?

Classic lead acid mistake...... so many people trying to offload these. Some guy tried to sell me a '95 Civic with a lead acid conversion, fairly clean but.. for $7k i would be buying something that barely moves.

An RX7 is way cooler than a Leaf, handles better, and since it's a used conversion, it won't require extracting and refining a bunch of new resources to build it. Also, does the Leaf run 14 second 1/4 miles? Imagine what some lipo would do for that little car! I'd give $15K for it in a heartbeat if I had it.

Not that it matters alot seeing the Engine is long gone but doesn't 82k sound like
too few miles for a car thats this old? I guess those old rotarys are hard on the gas and wear quicker than conventional engined cars so it might of been parked in the garage alot of its life...

KiM

Age makes things worse. I hope all the chassis/suspension rubber and metal has been replaced. A car of this age is certainly needing to be 'bought again' if you have to replace all that stuff.

The components sans the batteries make this car certainly worth something, but lead acid is just fail all around.

Yeah, rotary motors are crap. Some people love the hell out of them, but they perform like small v6's with 4 cylinder torque levels and eat gas like v8's. They also burn oil by design; not like 2 stroke motors, but you can still smell older ones coming. They also don't last very long typically, but there are some magic 'built on a wednesday' ones that will make it up to 200k miles.

I don't get rotary motors. I'll take a high revving piston motor over one any day. Mazda needs to stop wasting their R&D on these things, they have no future.

Back