2 x 6S3P connected in series - Using Copper tabs instead of nickel strips

redaegorov

1 µW
I’m building my own battery packs. I plan to build 2 x 6S3P packs and connect them in series. I will be using Molicel 21700 P45B resulting in 13500mah capacity.Nominal voltage is 3.6v per cell so 12s is 43.2v.
Will charge as a lipo to 4.2v per cell giving full voltage of 50.4v.
Max Discharge: 135a

Using a Flycolor X-Cross 160A ESC and 6384-kv130 motor.

I plan to be using p-group tabs like in the picture below, but made out of copper instead of nickel. These are 0.2mm thick. Each tab is approx 40mm x 36mm. I’ll be using 0.1 Nickel plated steel strips to sandwich weld.

I plan on using 10awg silicone wires to connect the series cell groups and also as the discharge wires (which will also connect the 2 packs together).

My question is: will my copper and wires be adequate for my set up and not heat up or God forbid, short? If not, what thickness of copper and which gauge wires should I use? Many thanks.

NickelStrip-04_980x980.jpg copy.jpg

I read 10G copper as good for about 30-35 amps, unless you plan to run it thru a cup to heat coffee.Then it gets close to 90C.

Ignoring the wire, can you really put 45A thru a P45B in real life? The data sheet seems to imply they will hit 80C at that rate. On my desk, with a load tester, I''ve put 20A thru a single P45B cell. but not for more than minute, I didn't recall either my nickel strip or wires getting hot, Still, I'm thinking you want 6P for 100A.

High current is not what I do though, I've used the P45B's to make ridiculous small 13S-1P's to run dinky ebike motors.

Back