== 2100Wh 432 konion MAKITA cells project == 16 june 2008

karma said:
kinda like cuting hard cheese :mrgreen:

Haha... exactly! :wink:

It's okay to nick the green stuff on the side as much as you want just keeping in mind that's the negative can so either cover with electrical tape or re-arrange in such a way as to never touch + of another.

You'd been amazed how little metal is left in most of my tool heads from various shorts I've had... these cells pack a mean punch when shorted. No matter how many times it's happened I always jump when I short something. :lol:

Doctorbass cuts the tabs on the negative side, this makes sense, as any nicks will be on the negative side, and it they short out with another cell or the tab material they will still be in paralell and shouldn't have any problems.

You guys are so lucky to have access to so many konions, I got 73 good cells from our local distributor, waited a month and called again, but no more packs were received this month. Apparently they average one pack a month, not 3 or 4 I initially figured, and this is countrywide!

None of you guys have any packs to sell to me do you? I'm hoping to do a 20s10p pack. Otherwise I'll just have to hope Makita becomes more popular here in future...

If you want to do it simply, you can use a Constant Current-Constant Voltage power supply (CC-CV) for charging. I'm using the Mastech HY-5020E that I bought on ebay. It can do 50 Volts and 20 amps and it works great. Any CC-CV power supply or Lifepo4 charger will work. Balancing isn't necessary.

karma said:
milwaukee v18 lithium ion.

I have yet to see a Milwaukee return pack that was worth a damn. Every V28 I got back wouldn't be able to hold 5C and usually had 2/3rd or less remaining capacity. They usually get returned because they are trashed or EOL. The Makita konions are beautiful because they had a manufacturers defect so would fail very quickly leaving the 8 remaining good cells with tons of cycle life left in them. Let us know if you find some good emolis in those V18s... they need BMS yes.

one pack had good cells the rest are bad under 3v. o well. i finshed my first kinoin pack at 20v 15ah. wow lots of power from these little cells. im up to 86v had to get better headgear.

i forgot to add i also have the 3 ridgid booster packs in the rear bag :wink:

cheers

karma said:
one pack had good cells the rest are bad under 3v.

Don't rule them out! I'm riding around with cells that came to me resting in the ones volt-wise.. they'll still deliver plenty of amps, but have a little lower capacity and get much warming during discharge so give them air to breath. In fact in my "runt pack" are at least 3-4 konions that I brought back from 0v and I'm climbing a mountain 1,600ft vertical to work with these suckers. Very impressive little greenies for sure!

i found a used bms to protect the cells from being over dishcharged. tested the bms on the road down to cutoff it works with no damage to cells or bms.

i will save those other cells :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NYdAPJGqrU

[googlevid]0NYdAPJGqrU[/googlevid]

Back