(2nd Build) GNG Gen2 - Genesis 32" (Ultra 32 inch - 7 speed)

Neiler106

100 W
This thread is mostly for me. My own little build journal.
I bough the Genesis Super 32 - Ultra 32 7-Speed model.

I will be putting my GNG Gen2 kit and Ping Battery on this 6'4" long bicycle with 32 inch wheels.
Essentially swapping all the relevant bits from my (1st Build) GNG Gen2 - GIANT Cypress DX (Update:Finished) @ http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49594.

I have been riding my GIANT for 3 years now. The Genesis Ultra 32 will be a new experience as a bicycle, and as an electric vehicle.

What I have learned from unboxing:
-It is a re-brand of KENT's 32 incher http://www.amazon.com/Kent-AKYM-32in-Cruiser-Bike/dp/B00BL86Z5Y with the owners manual referencing KENT customer service, not genesis.
-Wheel diameter = 31.25 inches
-Wheel base = 52 inches (from dropout to dropout)

My Plans...
I plan on mounting my battery along the top tube near the front fork, as well as my heavy duty bicycle chain for some extra weight on that front tire. Neptronix has some different weight distribution ideas =). I will also be purchasing Lightning Rods GNG Gen2 mounts/plates/sleeves.

Neptronix Build - $200 Factory midtail from a Genesis 32" wheel bike
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48663
-Single speed model
-Direct drive setup
-Wheel swapping to convert to mid-tail bike.
-Lists some dimensions and pictures.
-Good ideas found here.

I will post an unboxing on youtube soon enough...

I am still set on getting some more weight on the front end for 'cornering' purposes. I've run into an issue with mounting the battery on the top bar. My bike bag, over time, will be coming apart at the seams.

The strap in the square for this picture, has to hold the 12lb battery upright during turns, and prevent it from sliding in the direction of the arrow during acceleration and just from the slop of the top tube.
IMG_20131207_102856.jpg

It becomes too much for the little strap to handle, so I am looking into a bike bar made to support a front-mount child bike seat.
3166SHGRBGL.jpg

It will clam to the seat post, and the headset on the frame. Should give me a flat platform to strap down my battery, and perhaps enough clearance on the underside to mount my controller.

I just hope this bar is long enough for the Super 32 frame. If not, it might be time to start looking at the possibilities of a PVC rack build.

Going to bend a shroud around the controller to attach to the flat plate that mounts to the grey cross-bar in the pic below. That should hide the controller and some wires for a cleaner look.

The front carry strap loop of that rack bag, is velcro'ed to the handle-bar stem to prevent sliding along the cross-bar and help keep it upright.

Then the rack bag straps go around/underneath the cross-bar to prevent bouncing motions and any lateral movement during turns.

This really helped with the weight distribution of this very long bike and my front tire now has a little bit of weight on it which makes me feel more confident in my maneuvers.

IMG_20131218_132949.jpg

How is the mid drive holding up with powering those big wheels? That's a lot more torque required on those big wheels, so I'm assuming you saw a decrease in your acceleration. Can you start in top gear or is shifting a requirement even on the flat?

mlt34 said:
How is the mid drive holding up with powering those big wheels? That's a lot more torque required on those big wheels, so I'm assuming you saw a decrease in your acceleration. Can you start in top gear or is shifting a requirement even on the flat?
she is holding up fine, yes i noticed a slight decrease but i do try to shift down when decelerating so I can properly accelerate in low gear.

Back