• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

3 weeks on yardworks lawnmower lithium-ion 36v 10ah battery

beast775

100 kW
hello this is for the slowpokes :lol: ,i was interested in the new yardworks lawnmower battery for my ebike,so i took the plunge and bought one.im going to get 2 eventually and run both.so far its been good.im in the process of getting a c-a to log numbers.it is built very tough and it is fairly light.i ran it to lvc a few times and found after 15 mins it would charge 2.8v and got me back across town.its charger is small and lighweight,easy to backpack.battery is 299 picked up at canadian tire.. charger 34.97 shipped.warranty 1 yr.i do not notice the power drop at all even before lvc.im running it on a anemic internal golden motor hub for now.it has a good led readout on top.so far so good, for great slow commuting till i get the other one,then lyens controller and rewire the hub.

OK beast775. Thanks for the info, but where are the pictures?

i borrow cameras for pictures :oops: .i will get 1 one day.0607552_1.jpg

Hi Beast,
I remember you said you were looking at it a while ago. I'd taken a quick look before at the one in Langford Canadian Tire. Was wondering how you went about hooking it up ... connectors etc? I don't remember seeing terminals, but it was awhile ago.

Gary

hey starson,i just used flat connectors for now.i will build plug in blocks,but was waiting to see how i felt it would perform and after 410kms im pleased.i know eventually i will take the enclosure apart,i cant leave anything oem for long.it must have 18650s inside but im thinking 26650s for lawnmower needed torque?.the cells seem great from hvc to lvc,i cant tell any difference in ejuice droppage.i wanted to build from drbass battery supply,but my time making nimh packs yrs ago was very unstable :oops: .sorry for no real numbers, but i find real usage better for me plug in go, see how it works.would be a good stable 72v 10ah pack or 36v 20ah under 20lbs.old school but cool.

this is awsome i orig started using the smaller 21v ones and loved them
what are some stats?
like weight , size ,amp output (the smaller ones i used were good to 31amps and had a internal bms)
loved to hear more and get some stats

im no good with stats :lol: .but i used the smaller yardworks last year,but by the time i got to 40v 10ah it got to expensive and 2 many batterries mocked together.this battery im using has quite a bit of output for the oem lawnmower so pushing a bicycle would be similar it claims 400 wh.my bathroom scale shows 9.2 lbs.it hasnt ever cutout on my bike yet but im using a magic pie internal controller,wot from start to stop,its a amp sipper. big hills long drives.it hasnt stopped or shown slow down ever.im trying to get a ca that doesnt work right now see if i can fix it.it suits me great but its kinda slow at 36v,but thats a easy fix,shunt controller buy 1 more battery.im quite happy and its very stable.2 batts will fit side by side easy in a small wire wald basket,thats what im using to carry it,a few battety bolt downs from wally world 3.75,a bit of rubber and away i go.im trying to get a camera tommorrow to show what ive done so far.as a side by side comparison to 48v 10ah thundersky type battery,its not as fast wot, but has better throttle push mids,runs far longer but not as quick on takeoff.

Will the BMS allow a series 72V configuration?
im thinking it will because last yr i was putting 20v 6ah yardworks in 4 and 3 series and parallel.so i cant see why not i will find out in a mnth or so.gotta get some dough first.

on the top of the battery is a label can you take a close up of the sticker?
hight,length,and width?
thx beast

ok i just measured.width 7 3/4 height 6 1/2 depth 4 1/4.it was alot smaller than i thought when i got it. the bottom of the case is smaller by quite a bit most of the way up.the handle is quite heavy duty and big and makes the depth etc bigger.im sure if the batteries were out it would be alot smaller and lighter.

beast775 said:
ok i just measured.width 7 3/4 height 6 1/2 depth 4 1/4.it was alot smaller than i thought when i got it. the bottom of the case is smaller by quite a bit most of the way up.the handle is quite heavy duty and big and makes the depth etc bigger.im sure if the batteries were out it would be alot smaller and lighter.
nice thanks for measuring
to find out what the bms amp limit was on the 20v 6ah i had to talk to a few techs
i hope its higher than 31ams but still looks like a nice "safe"battery"and looks to be the size and weight of regular sla 12v that alot of folks start with
i don't think the cells are round...think they are a version of the same kind of plastic rectangle ones in 6ah 20v by plyion or whatever
will be interested to see how these work out especially in series...
the other thing i noticed was the warrenty...only 1 year and repair only which means waiting a long time (warrenty time) for repairs
with those 20v 6ah i would hurt one and go get my money back and buy another...and 2 year warrenty
thx for reviewing these
gotta love ct

the warranty,i have a buddy at my ct,he said it goes down the road and gets fixed .local fix,seems strange but thats what even the front end manager told me.i still dont beleive it, but im sure you could get a replacement to use. afterall this is ct 8) .im heading over there in a bit,i will see if i can get some info.i think these are well built its going to get high torque needs from a blade and get shaken to death by lawns,thats actually why i bought one,time will tell.

ask what the apm limit is on the lawn mower
and if possible what the cut out is on battery bms in amps
if its north of 31amps like the baby 20v 6ah and should be just on cell size alone it sounds like a great battery
but would love to know same with lvc voltage

wasp said:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/PowerEquipment/LawnMowerAccessories/PRD~0607552P/Replacement%252BBattery%252Bfor%252BYardworks%252BLithium-Ion%252BCordless%252BLawn%252BMower.jsp?locale=en
Hope this helps...

Attachments

• yardworks 40V 10Ah battery.jpg
    yardworks 40V 10Ah battery.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3,544
Eclu Lardbut said:
wasp said:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/PowerEquipment/LawnMowerAccessories/PRD~0607552P/Replacement%252BBattery%252Bfor%252BYardworks%252BLithium-Ion%252BCordless%252BLawn%252BMower.jsp?locale=en
Hope this helps...
yes i was able to see this as well on ct site but thx
tomorrow i will call the techs again and find out some info...

This is an old old thread, but I just found the yardworks 36v 10ah battery on clearance for 150.00. Did anyone find out what cells were in the battery enclosure? Even on clearance I don't want to buy it if it's junk. Any help appreciated!

Tom

36v hover board batteries can be found sporting LG or Samsung cells on the various sites on the web for less then the equivalent AH in power tool batteries.
LG hoover packs have a good reputation cost about 20% less then the Samsung packs. They may have a shorter life or may not it depends on how many Amps your pulling.

http://www.ordertree.com/docs/573/060-1780-2%20-%2040V%20Li-Ion%20Mower%20-%20E.manual%20-%20FINAL.pdf

400Wh so they'd need to be 20+A of discharge so 4P

Bought one of these a while back, claims 8.5ah, $119.00/free shipping, been pretty happy with it so far:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-NCR18650PF-2900mAh-36V-Rechargeable-Li-Ion-Batteries-Battery-Pack-NEW/152901180160?hash=item23999edb00:g:eoAAAOSw5VtaPE6n

The reason I revived this thread was because they had the 36v 10ah lawn mower battery on clearance from $300 down to $150 at my local Canadian Tire. The Hover packs look interesting though.

I mentioned the hover batteries as I suspect like you that Yardworx being a bottom brand battery packs will be made up of bulk Chinese cells.

Raisedeyebrows said:
Bought one of these a while back, claims 8.5ah, $119.00/free shipping, been pretty happy with it so far:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-NCR18650PF-2900mAh-36V-Rechargeable-Li-Ion-Batteries-Battery-Pack-NEW/152901180160?hash=item23999edb00:g:eoAAAOSw5VtaPE6n

Those look very nice. With the higher capacity cells (2900 vs 2200) and rectangular shape, those have more stored power for the same space (and weight) than the hoverboard batteries I have. The funky shape of the hoverboard batteries make it had to pack them togehter in a small space.

These panasonics cost a bit more, but are still a very good deal compared to the currently available alternatives. Good find.

I hope that seller keeps those Panasonic packs in stock, a person could buy 2 and have 17ah between the two of them, real reasonable for under $250.00 USD and the fact they're quality cells is appealing. The case they're in is plastic, similar to Em3ev's but not quite as nice of course. The pack is light, if I was going to do the battery in backpack thing I could easily carry 2 no problem.

Back