36 Volt VS 48Volt BATTERY PERFORMANCE

Supreme Kay

10 mW
I own an electric bicycle (Mountain bicycle I converted to an ebike). The conversion kit I purchased was advertised as 36 volt on eBay; I did some research and found out that the kit can be run at 48 volt. I bought a KT3 ebike LCD display and a KT 36V/48V controller (dual voltage controller 36volt/ 48volt) rated at maximum current of 22 amp for both 36 volt and 48 volt. I currently own a 36 volt (11amp) lithium battery. I live in Florida and the state requires ebike no be ridden at more than 750 watt. I would would like to know if there would be any difference in performance between 36 volt (750 watt) and 48 volt (750 watt). I am be considering upgrading my battery from the 36 volt lithium ion battery pack I own right now to a 48 volt lithium ion battery pack. Will it be worth it?
Thank in advance for your reply

Do you want to ride faster than you do now ?

How fast are you riding now on the 36 volts ?

Do you want to go farther than you are going on a charge now ? ( 11 amp hours will get many people where they want to go and back on a slow casual ride , an extra voltage pack will give you more watt hours so you would then be able to travel further between charges )

Supreme Kay said:
I own an electric bicycle (Mountain bicycle I converted to an ebike). The conversion kit I purchased was advertised as 36 volt on eBay; I did some research and found out that the kit can be run at 48 volt. I bought a KT3 ebike LCD display and a KT 36V/48V controller (dual voltage controller 36volt/ 48volt) rated at maximum current of 22 amp for both 36 volt and 48 volt. I currently own a 36 volt (11amp) lithium battery. I live in Florida and the state requires ebike no be ridden at more than 750 watt. I would would like to know if there would be any difference in performance between 36 volt (750 watt) and 48 volt (750 watt). I am be considering upgrading my battery from the 36 volt lithium ion battery pack I own right now to a 48 volt lithium ion battery pack. Will it be worth it?
Thank in advance for your reply

Yes, there's the law and then there is what people do anyway. Until now I've ignored such laws here where I live without consequence. I believe eBikes should do useful work, not just for recreation. Haul a load of groceries up a hill, like I have to do. Only power will accomplish that. Limiting power to 750 watts is stupid, because power not only means speed, it means torque too. Do the 48V - the sweet spot for eBikes!

It will be about 2 mph faster and climb and accelerate a little better.

If money is tight just add a sufficiently high enough capacity 12v battery pack in series to see how you like it... then you will know if the upgrade is worth it to you or not.

SupremeKay, performance gain will probably depend on your motor, assuming the new controller isn't limited on currrent. Small motor, you can get what motormech said, 2 mph difference. When motor is big enough to go 28 mph, then it will go that fast on 48 volts and maybe 20 mph on 36 volts. Anyway, my experience with different batteries and voltages includes both scenarios.

Is it worth it? depends on your budget. For me, it's just a hobby, so it's worth it because it's fun to have the power. If I had a commuting budget to meet, maybe not.

By the way, at slower speeds, the same watt-hrs get used on both batteries from my experience, so you will get more range off the same AH rated batteries. At higher speeds, I cannot say, because I haven't done the comparison.

How are you going to make the 48v 750w.. limit the amps? If you do, then performance will be about the same. A watt is a watt.

In any case,, how do the cops know your wattage? They don't exactly have a way to test your controllers amps.

But,,, if you start hauling ass around at 30 mph,, they can pretty easily guess you have more than 750w. You may have a 20 mph law too?

If your display does include the 5 speed switch, then you can just ride 48v, use one of the slower speeds, and be fine. But if you need more for a situation,, like maybe you ride into 40 mph headwind,, bump it up and have more power. (1000w on full amps, and 48v)

Back