3D Printed 8s E-Board

Montiey

10 W
Hi all! I just though I would start a build thread here to show off my build. Its a 38" Globe longboard. I'm using the Multistar 10c 5.2 Ah packs. 4 of them, 2 in parallel and then in series. Here are all the latest specs as I may choose to swap out parts:

Battery: 8s 10.4Ah
ESC: Ollin Board Co. VESC, cap board & no connectors
Hardware: Tourqeboards 63mm single drive trucks
Motor: Turnigy SK3 6354 260kv
Pulley: (35-36, lost count) / 16
Wheels: 83mm Abec flywheels
Special Additions: Printed motor shell, embedded drop-through voltage monitor and a removable Li-Po "brick".

You might want to zoom out:
View attachment 9
DSC_0390.JPG

This is the motor shell. It is 1.5mm thick and I simply used a heat gun to soften the plastic. Once it was flexible I slid it over the motor, centered it as best I could, and let it cool. Once it shrunk it is very stable and I don't think it will ever come off unintentionally. (files on thingiverse VVV).
DSC_0391.JPG

This is the voltage monitor. (files on thingiverse VVV)
DSC_0394.JPG
DSC_0396.JPG
DSC_0397.JPG

This is the switch that is under the button cover (on thingiverse) and also the Paris compatible 1cm riser (also on thingiverse VVV).
View attachment 3
IMG_5782.JPG
IMG_5786.JPG

This is what the enclosure is made out of:
IMG_5764.JPG
I found it at The Container Store and it is just about perfect. I had to do a lot of dremel work to downsize it, but it works perfectly. I left the one end duck-taped on since it seems to be perfectly ridged.

The voltage monitor is just a Turnigy Dlux Lipo Checker, stripped out of its housing.
If you want the files, I will have an up-to-date collection on my profile here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/Montiey/collections/electric-skateboard-project
The gray belt cover is also on thingiverse, but I did not design it: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:884314
More coming as soon as my VESC gets here! :)

The momentary button just connects the ground of one of the balance leads to the checker. The other leads are always connected. This way it will not drain the cell when left idle. The lead is a parallel lead, so I can connect and get an average from two batteries (but not two across the series, as I discovered…), which would be safer for draining.

Finally finished soldering the VESC with an underpowered iron, then finished re-soldering a polarity error. (Absolute nightmare, PLEASE buy a high power iron!)
IMG_5952.JPG
From top to bottom:
-Embedded voltage monitor
-2S 2P 10.4 Ah LiPo pack
-Antispark junction
-VESC & enclosure (without lid)
-Turnigy SK3 6354 260kv w/ printed motor shell
-DIYElectricSkateboard.com Trucks

~

Still missing the Nunchuck, since I need to find a connecter to fit the 7 pin port. Right now I am working on updating the firmware, and maybe doing some bench testing.

Back