400mile range Emotorcyle at 70mph 21kwh battery?

Too bad this idiot is using inflated and fake specs and claims. If he was a serious person and not a get-rich-quick-scam'r he would use real world data.
To be honest if he would have managed to produce the bike at the acclaimed price, I don't really think people would have lifted an eyebrow if he stated 200 mile range. Now he just like like an idiot.

The renderings looks ok, the design ok. If he would spend as much time actually planning to build this bike rather then use the idea as a get-rich-quick scam I think he could easily have had success. The electric motorcycle market is still yet to boom. And big brands are not rushing their products to market. So this would the time for small companies to get their shit together and try crowd funding or whatever else they need to raise enough capital to actually bring a product to market.

Well Vigo won't be the last idiot on crowd funding sites.

Idiot_Vigo said:
Daniel Perrins So the zero s does 80miles on a 13kwh battery. To get 400 miles from a 21kwh battery yours will need to be around 2.5 times more efficient.
Like · Reply · 5 January at 20:43 · Edited
Electric Motorcycle VIGO
Electric Motorcycle VIGO Daniel Perrins We use a different battery (not lithium-ion one) with 4 times higher density and more efficient motor. This is why we're able to reach this range.

Unless he put old Ohm's law to rest, did the testing in complete vacuum with velodrome tires I doubt his motor is that efficient.

What a tool.

Or he's less stupid than you think and is actually targeting people with little to no critical thinking ability. :oops:

I might be wrong, but his indigogo went bust. 230 $ out of 240.000 $ goal. Seems people didn't bite, no matter how sweet the spec was.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see such a electric motorcycle come to life, but at his targeted pricepoint he would need a very wealthy uncle or seriously deep pockets to be able to get the first batch off the production line at targeted price point. And as his campaign went bust I guess people saw through his claims. Then again, I could be completely wrong, and for all I know he could have made a great deal with some new battery manufacturer or something. Time will tell :)

Look at the Lightning LS 218. 40.000 $ price. 200 hp and top speed of 218 mph. It comes in at close to 500 lbs. Has a range of 100 miles at highway speed say 70 mph. Even if that bike is available after a decade of R & D, refinements and alterations and got racing victories, land speed record, Pikes Peak overall fastest bike the cost of going fast is less efficiency. Punching a hole in the air a 70 mph even after weeks in wind tunnels and fine tuning will lessen the range.

For the Vigo there is just too much in the specs, at a price that is too low to true. If he actually has secured say some new lithium polymer batteries that shaves off 100-150 lbs maybe he could manage 200 miles.

I can't help but wondering if his spec claims was at least in the ballpark of what is achieved by other electric motorcycle manufacturers his indigogo campaign might have turned out completely different. At his targeted price point even a range of 200 miles would be very much ok.

The figures speak for themself's, Anyone with enough money to invest in a project like this will have the knowledge to consult an expert in the field or at least someone with half a clue.

The figures all sounds excellent 90% efficency etc until the 21kwh bomb shell hits you then you realize the task in hand, one gallon of gasoline is around 33.5kwh with an engine that runs around 35% efficent so we use around 11.2 kwh per gallon used the rest is waste, most bike's get around 40- 45mpg and have a 4 gallon tank or 130 kwh and manage around 200 miles to a tank.

If we take the 130kw divided it by electric efficency and then multiply by gasolines it gives us a ruff figure of what an electric bike cutting the same air speeds and power figures etc would need to obtain the same end results in distance and we end up with 50.5kwh for electric to travel the same 200 miles or so.

It won't be long till we see bike's with all the power figures stated but just half the total distance which is still up with the current crop of gasoline which have the upper hand with development over decades, its not bad just keeping up with the johnsons and that's what these people have to remember when pushing new ideas sometimes you don't have to beat a products specs you just have to make it more handy.

A simple bike that makes you feel involved tops out at 120mph or so and accelerates like a cheetah and gets around 150mile on a charge with the beermat math above id say around 35kwh would be more than enough for a big hit on a first gen product but squeezing all that in will need some next gen density levels.

Back