54xx or 4065 or 4080 good for 6-9kW? or use cromotor?

mafo

10 mW
Hi,

Is there a person who used cromotor v2-v3 and crystalyte 4065 or 4080 for powers as 6-9kW ?
how much dagrees they get after what kind of periods? and at lowers speeds as 30-60km/h and using full power?
is there possibility to run crystalyte 4065 without cooling at these powers, or should use oil.. , and temp sensor?
and can someone provide what kind of changes to axle they have comparing to my old ht3525?

I actually damaged my rotor while putting axle and wonder also if I can buy: a same this inside part of motor with windings axle and so on.., somewhere in europe, new one?
with temp sensor.. would be great in europe..

Thanks in advance..

Mafo, I replaced my axle for my 5305.
Email kenny at crystalyte.

This may create some discussion.

Yes the 4080 does get hotter quicker and the phase wires from the motor will melt if it overheats. This happened to me and the short damaged my controller. My controller was inside the Phasor frame but I've now relocated it to the front (same place as Stealth) to allow for cooling.

The cromotor does have thicker wires. I've replaced my 4080 wires with different wire and at this stage haven't had issues. I have the V2 of the cromotor and on the disc brake side you need to use 10mm of C washers otherwise the phase wires will be damaged by the disc brake bolts. The New V 3 doesn't have this issue as they've modified the axle. Just somthing to think about if considering a V2.

The cromotor will run and 60 kilometres an hour for 35 kilometres but I did have the amp on the CA set at a max of 20. On the return the motor was still only warm. Both my motors are laced into 17 inch moped rims.

Hyena has run 4080 and 4065 motors at 8 kilowatt with success but with different phase wires. Check out his thread.

Rod

Common sense says for any kind of longer ride, you'd step up to a cromotor, or other motor with wider magnets.

But I understand the appeal of a lighter wheel. I won't run more than a 9c motor on dirt. 3000w. I'd love more power, chain drive, on a trials motorcylcle frame. We aren't pedaling 10 hp bikes.

I actually have 140mm dropouts, and want to use disk brake...
can U provide me solution for cromotor if so...?

And is there online technical data for crystalyte motors, i would like to check if my 7 speed freewheel will match with crystalyte 4065(or 80) on my dropouts ?

thx

I'm not the big motor expert, but surely you can cram a cromotor in there. 2.5mm flex per side is doable on alloy swingarms. And maybe you can shave the side with the gears down a few mm with a single speed freewheel.

Cromotor is 145 mm wide?

Dropout extensions are another possibility.

i had small talk with producer, and it s not possible to put cromotor 145 axle in my aluminium 140 dropouts even with some plates or so on, it s not safe,
safe would be making new swingarm but it s not my way to rebuilt wholre rear of my built :)

so im still lookin for some ht3525 rotor or 4065 with temp sens in fine price in europe:)

any suggestions ?

Here is my experience.

The crown motor on a 135mm drop out.

23 miles at mostly 40mph. Highest temperature is 120 C.

It saturates at around 110 C. The extra 10 degrees is due to regen or climbing steep hills. It usually drops to 110C after the hills.

I have the TC-80. So this would be the characteristic of the 4065. The 4080 would probably be hotter and might not hold up to 40mph continuous.

Like I said, I'm not the big motor expert here. The 4080 is a bigger motor than the HS type? Looks like it in a thread I just searched up. Appeared to be pretty wide between the spokes.

So many motors to try to keep straight in my mind these days. I thought the 4080 was a version of the HS or HT cyltes.

Re the swingarm. 9000w does sound like steel pinch dropout territory. And having them rip right off an alloy frame if they were bolt dropouts on is plausible to me. At 12 hp, you are building a motorcycle. And don't forget, how much more 12 hp electric is than gas.

As far as I know they are other version of ht and hs. the 4065 and 4080- its like ht and hs, but 40mm magnet.

i will try to cope with 18S @ 80A in offroad in next few days on this alloy felt frame:), I luckily found people with possibility to get stright my motor digitally :)

ordering from crystalyte europe will do it for 75€ extra.
for that money u can do it by yourself. (for me it was also the first time to add an 10k temp probe inside a hub) no big deal.
I take 1,5 hours.

remember thats business. its not a buddy neighbour that helps in his freetime.
50-60€ would be ok.

did you have experience with modding a hub to cool with oil?
thats not easy..and just one mistake and your rearbrake needs new pads.

i will go for vented hub. (Oil was my first wish but you dont get more cooling with it)

remember thats business. its not a buddy neighbour that helps in his freetime.
50-60€ would be ok.

Tru

did you have experience with modding a hub to cool with oil?
thats not easy..and just one mistake and your rearbrake needs new pads.
i will go for vented hub. (Oil was my first wish but you dont get more cooling with it)

i can in easy way go from oil to vented, and want to try it without painthing whole motor inside, and to not open it too offten to clean it from dust and so on..
i also would use some prevention to stones...

the question for me oil or vent is months ago, but i find min. 2 people that drive for 2 years without any problem.
Yes theres dust inside and maybe it is better to change bearings too (sealed) but also without painting inside the rust was not a problem.
just an optical "problem".

did you read the topic from justin? where he was testing hubmotors with different (vented) setups?

Yes i saw the data on graphs and so on.
but when i imagine the dust and other stuff going through the magnets and destroing them becouse of speed and covers .. i do not want it. :)
it's like buying a motor for almost every christmas?

i'v used silicon almost on every part where oil can go out, probably it will.. but i wonder about amount..
and hope that regen throttle will be kind of backup:)

fyi, my ht35 is rolling after repiare smoothly, the second torque arm in production..

Hi,

my magnets fell off, and actually do not know if i will be able to rapiar it, but i decided about new motor
4065 becouse of 135 mm axlle (my dropouts are 140mm) and wonder about 54xx if its better choice, what You think ? its 16kg not 10 as 4065 ?

mafo said:
Hi,

my magnets fell off, and actually do not know if i will be able to rapiar it, but i decided about new motor
4065 becouse of 135 mm axlle (my dropouts are 140mm) and wonder about 54xx if its better choice, what You think ? its 16kg not 10 as 4065 ?

54xx will be a better choice if your goal is stuffing more power into the motor before failure. Even though they both have the same magnet width and the 4065 has a better design and construction, the 54xx has copper mass as the benefit. I'm pretty sure a large portion of the 6kg difference is in copper.

I've heard those motors taking 10kW (with the proper phase wire mods) and being ok.

I prefer the Cromotor in a 24" wheel or the X 5404 in a 26"
9 Kw is not much for such a setup, I feed much more everyday
Forget about the h series motors, they are not nearly as reliable as those 2

When you build a powerful bike with a big motor, you need to make custom dropouts anyway :wink:

Back