72V 4wd skateboard

boardfool

1 µW
Hello. I am an electrician but not much of an electrical engineer. I have a great battery pack for my ebike, 72V and 24ah. I wish to use this power source to operate an electric skateboard also. The issue I have is getting a plan together for the bits that go between the direct drive hub mounted motorized trucks, and my battery. The board will be 4wd if I can engineer it.

The parts
diyelectricskateboard.com/products/torqueboards-direct-drive-motor-kit

The electrician in my would simply use 2 each controllers assembled in series providing a 36V drop across the first, to feed the second with the same 36V. My experience says voltage tends to droop when you have huge variances in load, but I have no experience using skate/bike sized drives. Further, as voltage fluctuates my experience is tiny little electronic devices tend to let their smoke out when under a large load and have poor quality voltage supply. That sounds like an opportunity to make smoke I wish to avoid.

Any advice or suggestions on how to best provide power for the motor controllers from a 72v source would be warmly received.

A second issue is the manufacturer above offers controllers, but not for 4WD. I have not received a response as to the suitability of the controllers to my application from the manufacturer. I am not wedded to the manufacturers black box. Any suggestions on different options to manage 4 motors from one hand held thingy would be appreciated too. Possibly there is a 72V controller which might be a good fit?

Best to everyone.

Back