7gen ebike build

pomah

10 W
Hi all, decided to share my latest ebike build.

Some background first :)

First build was with a falco rear hub, this was back in 2016. The hub motor was under powered for my needs so the quest continued on.

Second build was the same frame but a mac-motor combined with a phaserunner, this was great, but I was starting to get worried about the frame and decided to upgrade.

Third build was the same setup but I changed to a more suited steel frame, genesis longitude. Supper happy with this but I got into an accident and I had to scrap the frame...

Fourth Gen was a Surly bridge club with the mac motor, but the motor broke down after 2 months

Fifth gen was the same Surly but with a modded BBS01, I used a bbs01 with a 48V bbs02 controller since I still wanted to use my old 13s battery

Sixth gen happened after the BBS02 controller decided to throw in the towel, so I decided to make the first bbs01 powered by a phaserunner :)

This was by far my favourit bike, the frame was amazing, phaserunner with the bbs was a great combo but earlier this week it was stolen from me...

So here comes gen7

For my 6th gen I made my own battery using the N.E.S.E system.

So i'm doing the same for gen7, but I'm this time using the bbs02 750W motor and I hope the controller on that one will last a bit longer, or I will have to switch to something more fun...

I will use some better external lights and I want them to function from the stock display so I will use a relay coupled with a DC/DC step down transformer.

Here is where the CAD is for the battery holder design coupled with electronics:

Some side shots:

So last design part made in regards to front mounting, not the prettiest but it will do I hope :)

Starting to feel done with this, need to get the bike here to measure up the frame and tubes to make sure it works as expected.

To be continued when more parts arrive

Some parts that have arrived, bike should arrive later today and the last battery parts in the beginning of next week.

So first issue of the build...

Solution...

Result:

Since this frame has some nice "hidden" cable management the idea was to hide them all in the down tube:

So here all the cable that are left coming out the rear:

And since the idea is to use PAS only for this one, here is the only cable going to the display:

The frame has a more "advanced shape" than I enticpated so it will take some more time to CAD the battery holder but soon it will be done...

DC-DC and relay installed, had to switch design a little due to not enough space in the original one...

Base printed and relay with dc installed

Bike seeing the outside while I work on my wifes bike :)

This week my new wheels (57x584 instead of 50x584) will arrive and the N.E.S.E parts so I can finish the battery

Last two parts are in the printer now and will be done in 30h or so.

So, soldering and printing done, I will take more pics in the sunlight:

More images of finished bike:

To summarize: I'm happy with the final build, I would have preferred to use the old Surly frame but it was not accessible in resonabel time, this frame and bike turned out great, I love the hidden electrical wire and the new battery case is an improvement over the one I had on the surly. Only downside as I see it is the fact I had to cut into the frame and the worry it causes in regards to fatigue and longevity of the frame and bike.

Back