• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

8000mah 6s LiPo

lcyn

10 W
Has anyone used the Turnigy Nano 8000mah 6s? I am still trying to figure out the easiest setup for lightweight battery setup for shorter trips. 2 of these in series would give me 44v 8AH, which should work well for my distance and speed. The size and weight would fit easily into a small rack bag. I was wondering if anyone has used this setup, and what they think of it. The Nanos are a bit more expensive, and I was wondering if they are that much better. (for the price).
Neptronix has given me some great advice on pack configurations, (5s/5000mah,) but I saw they have 8ah, so want to look at that option also. By the way, the videos on Icecubes site are very helpful.

Nanos are worth it if you have a very amp hungry setup, and you're fine with paying more per amp hour for a higher discharge rate.
Most people do not need them.

The non-nano 8AH stuff usually comes in 30C format, or higher.
30C X 8AH = 240A output. A pack like that would sag very minimally at 60A, and produce very little waste heat. Under 60A, it would perform much better.

Let's talk nanotech..
45C X 8AH = 360A output. This would not really flinch at an 90A load.

Nanotech may be worth it if you're running more than 60A for best performance. ( like if you have an 18FET or higher ). Otherwise, it won't provide much benefit to you for the extra $.

Right now the 4s hardcase 20c packs are the best price.

But if you prefer 6s, there is decent 20c in 6s in the USA warehouse. I'd rather have 10 ah of 20c than 8 ah of nano on most of my bikes. 4 bricks of 6s is still very small and easy to carry. Build a coroplast protective box, and stuff in a bag.

lcyn said:
Is there any difference in quality between Zippy and Turnigy?

That's an age-old question, and you will never get a straight answer.
I am almost 100% sure that the cells come out of the same factory.
No coincidence that the 8AH zippy and 8AH turnigy nanotech came out at roughly the same time .. ;)

Differences come down to the wiring and assembly.
Some people claim that zippy stays in balance better, but the construction isn't as good.

Personally i like this zippy stuff because it comes in a low C format, often having the smallest physical size and weight due to that.

Zippy packs tend to be a bit smaller in physical size. It may be that a trunigy pouch has more capacity, but not enough to care about. Buy based on price, avaliability, and your needs more than brand. More c rate is nice, if you can afford it. Less sag But since the sag on a 20c pack is not very bad on most ebikes, 20c is fine for the majority of us. To win a race, $$$ wins, so get the high dollar nanos.

Actually...

i've owned both 20C turnigy and 20C zippy of various vintages. I've taken apart both and noticed the 5180-5250 sticker on all of em.. discharge tests have proven that both have similar capacity, within about 50mAh of each other at most.

However......
The zippy 20C had almost double the internal resistance, and almost double the sag & cell heating at 8.5C constant as a result, however it was physically smaller by quite a bit than the turnigy 20C.

I spose i said my piece about the nanotech above.. it's sorta like loading your car up with nitromethane.. most builds don't justify the extra expense of the high discharge packs. ( just think about how many people run 1-2C lifepo4. )

Back