8S LiFePO4 on a 6S LiPo ESC a good idea?

Maxid

100 mW
Hi everyone,

I recently built an electric skateboard with mainly parts from HK.
SK3 149kv motor, 2x 3S 5000mAh batteries, 150A X-Car Beast ESC, Bad Wolf V2 Mod controller and a selfmade Motor mount made out of 1cm PVC plate (easily doable with just a saw).
The ESC I bought is specified at 6S for LiPo batteries which was fine for my initial setup. However a friend now gave me his old 8S LiFePO4 10Ah battery that he apparently no longer needs or wants.
Question now is: can I try to hook this thing up to the ESC directly or should I remove two of the cells to also make it 6S?

Maybe some of you have some experience with this. Unfortunately I also just have a 6S charger - not sure if the additional two cells are actually worth getting a new one.

Let me know what you think.

thanks,
Maxid

6s lipo = 3.7*6 - 4.2*6 = 22.2V - 25.2V (empty - full)
8s liFe = 3.3*8 3.6*8 = 26.4V - 28.8V

if it works for 28v like chaka's it should work fine, but its still a risk...probably fine tho..

also you will need a different charger since life run on different voltage..most rc chargers have a setting for them, but it won't have balance plugs for 8s...

saul said:
... but it won't have balance plugs for 8s...
What do you mean by that? There ae 8s chargers with balancer ports for 8 cells. And the LiFePo pack does have 8 balancer plug as well.
A 6S charger will obviously not have 8S balancing capabilities but that is why I asked whether buying a new one is actually worth the investment.

Back