Adam's Norco A-Line 2009 with HS3540

Thanks Matty,

The commercial stand that I modified work, but it is not rated for a 105 lbs bike. So it "flex" a bit and is not rock solid like what we expect to see for a motorcycle kickstand.

I am keeping my eyes open to find a suitable replacement ( olny the bottom bracket will be changed )

Once I find something I am more confident on its strength, I will gladly make you one.

That being said, its awesome to finaly have a kickstand on that bike, its a must.

I recently found an ESGE double kickstand in the basement - something I tried, but ended up removing, from my folding bike. It's clearly labelled "Max 25kg", but there are stories of people using them on 130 lb bikes on the Internet. I have one on my recumbent bike, and sat on the bike with kickstand deployed (slowly and carefully, mind you) and the kickstand took the ~30lb bike plus ~175lb person.

Here's a picture of one mounted on a bike: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7516215@N03/5638707641/in/set-72157626542404830

I'm going to try to mount up this 'stand, I'll just have to fab up a custom mount. It seems like it will work quite well on the A-Line.

Finally, the Schlumpf High Speed Drive is instaled.

Schlumph_HS_drive_1024x768.jpg

It was expensive, but I love it. I can now do usefull pedaling up to 50 km/h ( 31 mph )

34 teet front, 14 teet rear.

I am now working on the kickstand Rev 2.

DH kickstand rev 2

This one is a single piece and feel stronger:
IMG_0521_1024x768.jpg

IMG_0522_1024x768.jpg

IMG_0523_1024x768.jpg

IMG_0524_1024x768.jpg

IMG_0525_1024x768.jpg

I kinda liked the previous rubber tip, so I made one from a hard rubberish material:

IMG_0604_1024x768.jpg

IMG_0605_1024x768.jpg

I would not remove the kickstand for any consideration, its just too useful.

I will also black anodize the pieces when I have a good batch, the paint from a spray can is not lasting a seen on the pictures.

Hi Adam,

Are your photos able to be made accessible on the dropbox or elsewhere?
All the images appear broken now.

PS: I've used and liked the freeload tour rack with pannier wings on mine:
file.php

imag1882.jpg

I bought a 2nd Freeload tour rack, and tried it on this bike, I'm considering it possibly for the Norco as a larger cargo option, as it's too narrow for my fat sand bike.
imag1842-1-1.jpg

There is a GNG kit in the orange backpack from combined freight being forwarded to a friend, rest of tools/commuter gear so it was heavy, and a cake box on top for a morning tea at work ;) With that pink tyre near 1kg dirt/park extra layered tyre it was a very heavy slow steering front end, but there was more vertical room on the front.

Hi Deepfraught,

Are your photos able to be made accessible on the dropbox or elsewhere?

I just gave it a try on a computer with no dropbox and I can see all the pictures. Dropbox was probably down when you look last time, give it another try. Each pictures are roughly 100k, so they should load quickly.

I like the freeload rack for its quality construction, but its nearly useless on my Norco ( rear position ) as it get in conflict whit my rear LED lamp when the suspension reach the bottom. Now, its an expensive way to hold my rear fender :wink:

You should consider a kickstand, I would not live without one anymore.

Nice build btw, prety clean. did you CNCed the dropout?

Sorry I just realised I'm at work and they have probably blocked it, doh! :oops:

I had clearance issue with bottoming out the seat to gear loaded on rack, so started by preloading it high for testing, then adjusted the rack load and suspension back to normal range, it can have stuff on top further back, but I'm thinking later a removable case for batteries on top and panniers for the luggage.

The dropouts were a quick standard dropouts drilled at angles in the original hole to elongate/slot it for the axle to fit and original hole width acting as the built in torque arm. Worked very well in testing and removal since haven't found any play.

Once I look at your pics at home I'd agree with the kickstand. For a few light commuter bikes I don't have them, but their use is narrow scenarios on same commute trips. On heavier bikes or others that explore or vary the trips, I'm a fan of the Pletscher double out single in on a couple bikes, the A2B's have the double fixed centre stand standard. My Fat Sand Bike on commute today derailed the single speed chain twice (chain tugs next!) and the too-short standard sidestand had it balancing in air a little as it sank into the grass, so an extender for that is on the cards.

Love your cell-log holder!

Did you 3D print that?

Also, how are you handling switch the cell-logs on and off?

Kudos

rider95 said:
What in hell made you put every thing on the front fork ????? I bet you even think it handles great LOL shakes head

There is very little space available on the frame of a Norco A-Line 2009 :)

This being said, I have started project to have additional battery on the frame. I should have pictures within 6 months.

The last flat on my rear tire finally decided me to go moped. That and having to replace broken 12ga spoke once in a while.

Tire : 19 inch. ( 2.75-19 ) ( 25in x 2.95 in real size ) https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/shinko-244-dual-sport-tire.html
Rear Spokes: 128 mm 10Ga S.S.
Rear Rim: DID alloy, 1.85-19, 36 holes

First challenge, the holes in the rim are 8.5mm dia...
I made a jig to modify #12 S.S. washers:
washer_forming_1_800x600.jpg

using a 2 ton press and 3/8" ball bearing, it is fairly easy to form the washer.
washer_forming_2_800x600.jpg

washer_forming_3_800x600.jpg

washer_forming_4_800x600.jpg

I was not sure if a standard truing stand would be flexible enough so I made one with 80-20:
truing_stand_80-20_800x600.jpg

Here is the result:
Aline_rear_wheel_mopped_800x600.jpg

Here we can see the difference between the regular 26" x 2.5" front wheel and the new 19" x 2.75" moped rear wheel:
Aline_old_vs_mopped_wheel_800x600.jpg

Aline_old_vs_mopped_wheel_2_800x600.jpg

I literally have 2 mm on each side of the rear tire with this 1.85 rim. Nothing bigger could fit in there.
The wheel is now very heavy though... 30 lbs.
Final diameter is 25 inches, so I am only 1/2" lower compare to the previous setup.

One down, one more to go...

I finally gave a try at the red rear light sold at ebikes.ca: http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/lights.html

It is a bit expensive, but it work from 12 to 100Vdc AND it remember the last state it was when you remove the main power.
So you turn on the key on your ebike and it is already working. ( it is also waterproof )

I just made an Black anodized Alu adaptor to go under my seat.

Aline%20red%20light%201_800x600.jpg

Aline%20red%20light%202_800x600.jpg

Aline%20red%20light%203_800x600.jpg

Aline%20red%20light%204_800x600.jpg

I've use it everyday for the last 6 month so far and I love it.

Back