• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

AmpedBikes geared motor death...

fredo gauvino

100 mW
Hello all,
I have been using an AmpedBikes rear geared 26" motor daily for 5 years now...
Yesterday, after giving some unhappy grinding "warnings", I hitted a pothole, and it started doing this noise :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTZftF7FKbU

After the five stages of denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance, I am now ready to face the truth...
The engine is dead.
Or is it ? :?

I am planning to buy a new geared one (MAC ?), but just in case, is there anyone on this forum that had this kind of failure ? :( :?:

The noise seems to come from the left side, where the clutch and gears are located.
The freewheel works well. The gears seems to be fine, the motor spins freely, but whenever the clutch is disengaged, (motor decelerating while wheel is turning) the horrible noise happens, as if some loose parts were tumbling inside the casing. :shock:

The motor has been driven by a 20 amps controller at 48V, mostly on flats. Never overheated (I'm in Canada :mrgreen: )

You can buy replacement gears which don't cost much:

http://www.greenbikekit.com/bafang-8fun-bldc-hub-motor-nylon-gears-replacement.html

Thanks ! This sound a cheap replacement source for gears. :p

However, I don't think that the gears are the source of the problem. :roll:
It seems more like the clutch as I could still use the motor when the clutch was "engaged".
It is only when the motor is not turning at the same speed than the wheel that the noise occurs badly... ( during deceleration / reacceleration )
When the motor is "loaded", it seems to perform normally with more noise than usual I agree...

Oh well, I'll open it tonight and see if I can fix it with duck tape, tie wraps and hot glue. :mrgreen:

The Amped geared mini is a MXUS, not a Bafang and there are no parts avail. that I know of.
I think you will find the cover to be difficult to unscrew. I have seen special wrenchs w/ 3 lugs to go into the three recesses on the cover. I have also read that a guy who double-nutted three bolts into a square sheet of plywood(4 ft. sq.). He stood on the wood, pressed the cover down onto the three bolt heads and turned the whole wheel ASM to loosen the cover.

Back