• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Aussie 200 Watt Limit Thread

Architectonic said:
It is commonly known that Canberra is more perverse than the other states, but mixing politicians with lycra and ebikes is just too much!

Those are members of the Riders on the Hill parliamentary cycling group test riding ebikes (some for the first time no doubt) after their morning non-electric ride during the first Australian Bike Summit held recently.

Getting politicians and traditional cyclists to experience ebikes firsthand is quite important in helping ebikes become more widespread. But lycra on an upright Dutch ebike does look amusing :lol:

I just got off a lengthy phone conversation with an official from the ACT Gov about how to comply with the Australian E-Bike rules.
There were a number of things he mentioned, that I thought I would quickly relay here before I forget:

Apparently the police just recently concluded a round of testing of seized E-Bikes here in the ACT concluding that non of them exceeded the legal limits, but that they were seized in crashes and suspected of exceeding legal limits.
The testing was carried out by ANU (Australian National University) and a mechanic/electrical engineer they use over in Queanbeyan and one or two others. The test conducted against the 200W limit is a stall test, not dyno which makes me wonder whether they factor in the battery charge level before doing the test. An almost flat battery would produce substantially less power in one of these tests than a fully charged battery.

Interestingly when I stated that it seemed impossible for anyone to construct their own E-Bike if they need to have a manufactures sticker, power sticker, etc, his response was; (and I take this as an official position) do you have an engraver? I asked him to clarify and he said, it didn't matter where the sticker came from...the bike just needs to have one. :shock: :lol:

I talked at length with him about the recent changes to 250W pedelec laws and found it interesting to discover his close involvement in the federal decision making, which makes sense for a Gov (even State/Territory) employee working in the ACT. He mentioned the original proposals were to align Australia with the US or Canadian laws, but the ACCC, and Fair Trading pushed for the EU laws in the end.
Apparently any locally made or imported E-Bikes are subject to review by the ACCC and Fair Trading to see if they comply with the laws which I find hilarious. I bet most of them wouldn't if actually tested.

He also mentioned controllers have to be sealed in an epoxy resin to prevent tampering. This to me just shows how backwards thinking the Fed Gov is on this...My Infineon, like most, controllers is programed through an external interface connected to the controller. It makes no difference if it's sealed up. :lol:

The other notable thing he said was there is apparently currently a big review of the ADR rules in relation to "alternative vehicle types". He said there is a chance for public submission and it's happening right now...so something to look into I think. :)

Apart from that he mentioned a number of cases were State governments have gotten exemption from the federal laws for things like Segway's, mobility scooters etc. Makes me wonder if a more forward thinking, or less risk adverse state might adopt higher power laws for E-Bikes if pushed enough.

I'll post anything else I've forgotten to now later...I just wanted to get as much down before my goldfish memory eats up the rest. :p

Cheers

I was in the trailer business up until recently having to deal with WA licensing on a daily basis.
My experience is common sense has zero to do with anything. Opinions of officials count for nothing except if he is inspecting your vehicle now. Laws regarding vehicles in WA have nothing to do with any other state or country.
Licensing can enforce any laws or disregard any depending on which monkey is running the show on that day.

Even if you can get the WA government to pass an 'act of parliament', which is near impossible, the law enforcers will still be able to interperate it as they see fit on the day. The WA police minister has said on TV that any petrol powered pedal assist is illegal and will be confiscated.

It is only a matter of time before they ban ebikes and it all comes down to how much attention we bring on ourselves.
Of course I hope I am wrong.

ebikes would be so much,much harder to ban though.
they are silent, they are becomming mainstream,becomming more plentiful every day.
it would take too much effort with little revenue return for them to check each bike for power limits.

i have also heard of police taking bikes to the local university to get them tested on a dyno there(apparently they couldnt afford to get their own, or diddnt know how to use one)
hence the "stall" test you mentioned?? :D
the engineer who tested them there,a friend of a friend, did the first one for free, but when they came back, he said hed charge 5k per bike.
i reckon the plods did the sums,forgot about it and went off to find some speeding cars...

Acording to the WA police minister there is no grey area when it comes to petrol pedal assist.
If the police decide the same for electric assist what are you going to do?
At the moment ther are not enough complaints to bring it to the fore but as they get cheaper and more kids start riding them I think things will change.

as i said above, i highly doubt they can ban electric assisted bikes. what are they really going to do, take all the upper middle class peoples gazelles of them? ban ebikes for peolple under 55?

no. its just going to be about top speeds and watts that they cant measure easilly.

just make sure you have a 250w switch, a sticker and a lightweight, silent,full suspension bike capable of over 120kph and let them try their luck :lol:

ridethelightning said:
just make sure you have a 250w switch, a sticker and a lightweight, silent,full suspension bike capable of over 120kph and let them try their luck :lol:
Damn it, my bike isn't light weight :lol:

$5k per bike to test is pretty steep. That's basically a "go away, I can't be bothered" reply.
That said, tell the cops I'll turn on you guys and test your illegally efficient commuter bikes for $1000 a pop :p
It's all very interesting but basically nothing has changed and the same rules apply - build what you like but don't ride like and idiot and you'll be sweet.
I'm interested what "alternative vehicle" ADR guidelines they're looking to bring in, especially as I prepare to build and register a legit street legal e-moto. We need some california style tax concessions too for being eco-friendly and buying EVs :)

Hyena said:
ridethelightning said:
Damn it, my bike isn't light weight :lol:

$5k per bike to test is pretty steep. That's basically a "go away, I can't be bothered" reply.
That said, tell the cops I'll turn on you guys and test your illegally efficient commuter bikes for $1000 a pop :p
It's all very interesting but basically nothing has changed and the same rules apply - build what you like but don't ride like and idiot and you'll be sweet.
I'm interested what "alternative vehicle" ADR guidelines they're looking to bring in, especially as I prepare to build and register a legit street legal e-moto. We need some california style tax concessions too for being eco-friendly and buying EVs :)

I am guessing you would be looking at the same rules that apply to hot rod builders.
The nice thing about a bicycle pedal assist is pretty much no rules except 250 watts. No licence, no rego, no engineering certs, no hassles so long as it has pedals and a small motor.
Once you engage the the authorities you will have to play by their rules. Public service mentality and endless red tape. Good luck.

I just saw that there is an e-bike survey online by researchers from the Institute of Transport Studies, Monash University that closes midnight Sunday 12th April. It is funded by the RACV and is open to anyone.

It is a comprehensive survey that can take about 20mins but it is worth the effort to get your opinions across. The findings from this study will be used to understand peoples’ experiences and expectations of cycling, particularly using e-bikes. Findings may be used to assist with the development of future policies and shared with Governments to help ensure infrastructure is provided that enables safe e-bike use.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ebikes2015

I did it. You can tell from the questions the sort of things they hope to show trends for
ie people feel more safe and confident on an ebike, more likely to leave their car at home, less likely to be as legally irresponsible with regard to traffic laws etc.
There were a few Victorian-isms, I didn't know they had a box at the front of traffic lights for bikes!
And I laughed at the RACV question about should the supply batteries.
"yeah my ebike battery has gone flat, corner of fifth and main street, 100v 90C lipo pack, thanks" :lol:

Speaking of riding around on 200w ebikes, thewmatusmoloki if you or any of the other gold coast locals are free on Friday I'll be in town and keen for a scoot around the local traps.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=66590

Did the survey. Great info on the ACT situation. "Do you have an engraver?" As a matter of fact... :D

Modbikemax said:
Acording to the WA police minister there is no grey area when it comes to petrol pedal assist.
If the police decide the same for electric assist what are you going to do?
At the moment ther are not enough complaints to bring it to the fore but as they get cheaper and more kids start riding them I think things will change.

Hi Modbikemax,

Can you please confirm where you got this from? Because in WA, I have a printed fact sheet from the Department of Transport that says petrol PAPCs are just fine if they are compliant (2011, current). I also have confirmation from an official on the subject matter from the Department of Transport confirming that my tests, as conducted ( for a few cents in cost ) are adequate to demonstate compliance with the law, based on a GPS measurement of the maximum speed my bicycle can attain and published advice from the WA DoT that I should have a maximum speed of around 25 kph. (Averaged over a distance).

As for a stall test? What exactly does that mean? If they stop the bicycle wheel from moving, then it's allowable for any current/voltage to be recorded to determine total power, because if the wheel isn't moving, then the power output is always zero. This is based in legislation, and the police don't really have any leeway there.

There are "risk zones" that ebike and petrol bike riders face with respect to exceeding the power at high speeds ( which is possible ) but that's not terribly practical. I went to a lot of trouble to ensure my own petrol PAPC couldn't possibly operate in a way that would allow it to overpower when used in such a way - which only really occurs when going down a very steep hill.

Anyway, not that I'm against police testing - I'm building a PAPC specific dyno at the moment, and wouldn't have any problem doing tests for police on a minimal cost - It's small enough to carry around in a car boot - And I'm against those who make overpowered ebikes/petrolbikes because that's just likely to bring legislation in to punish the innocent as happened in QLD and NSW.

But what you are suggesting is counter to what I have officially from the DoT just a few weeks ago, telling me it's all legal.

Regards
David

p.s. Added after posting -
Cycling Fact Sheet 13 - Petrol or Electric PAPCs.
http://aunv.blackice.com.au/userfiles/david-ELECTRIC_OR_PETROL_cycling_Power_Assisted_Bikes.pdf

I'm against those who make overpowered ebikes/petrolbikes because that's just likely to bring legislation in to punish the innocent as happened in QLD and NSW.

Can you explain how innocent people have been punished?

Are you a police officer?

John Bozi said:
I'm against those who make overpowered ebikes/petrolbikes because that's just likely to bring legislation in to punish the innocent as happened in QLD and NSW.

No, not a police officer. Just a civilian.

In both NSW and Queensland, the kinds of bicycles they claimed needed to be banned were already banned under law - Motorcycle conversions of bicycles never have been legal in any state in Australia for on-road use, nor are they likely to ever be within the foreseeable future, but both states banned legitimate petrol PAPCs based on the dangers of illegal ones.

So those with what appears to be an agenda against petrol powered bicycles used the information from illegal bicycle conversions as an argument to ban petrol bicycles, in most cases deliberately ignoring the fact that legal petrol bicycles existed in both states and were not capable of any more performance ( in fact, were shown to have less ) than electric bicycles of similar power. They had the same ( or better ) stopping distances as electric bicycles, but were measured against motorcycles and, in the end, all they ended up doing was banning legal petrol power assisted pedal cycles which never were causing issues in the first place, were not capable of travelling over 25km/h in normal circumstances, are less modifiable than electric bicycles and were, based on published test data, actually safer.

So there never was a valid reason to ban legal use of petrol powered bicycles - Every reason given was taken from already illegal bicycles and then used as a reason to ban bicycles that did not exhibit those characteristics.

So... When you use illegal activity to ban legal activity, there's no other conclusion to reach than "Instead of enforcing the existing laws to deal with illegal motorcycle conversions, they banned legal ones for no valid purpose, with clear political and ideological outcomes overriding legitimate interests".

They, being those who were behind banning the bicycles in NSW and QLD.

Hence, the innocent were punished for purely political purposes so it would look like something was being done about illegal activities.... None of the reasons provided during question time, or in any research as provided supporting the ban was in any way legitimate given the target. So those who sold, bought and rode petrol PAPCs lost their rights, their investments and saw their assets made unusable. And those who flouted the law with high-powered petrol cycles didn't care - they just ride 1kW and 2kW electrics now and are even more dangerous.

A lot of lies was told in the banning of petrol bikes.

Regards
David.

cj7hawk said:
John Bozi said:

No, not a police officer. Just a civilian.

In both NSW and Queensland, the kinds of bicycles they claimed needed to be banned were already banned under law - Motorcycle conversions of bicycles never have been legal in any state in Australia for on-road use, nor are they likely to ever be within the foreseeable future, but both states banned legitimate petrol PAPCs based on the dangers of illegal ones.

So those with what appears to be an agenda against petrol powered bicycles used the information from illegal bicycle conversions as an argument to ban petrol bicycles, in most cases deliberately ignoring the fact that legal petrol bicycles existed in both states and were not capable of any more performance ( in fact, were shown to have less ) than electric bicycles of similar power. They had the same ( or better ) stopping distances as electric bicycles, but were measured against motorcycles and, in the end, all they ended up doing was banning legal petrol power assisted pedal cycles which never were causing issues in the first place, were not capable of travelling over 25km/h in normal circumstances, are less modifiable than electric bicycles and were, based on published test data, actually safer.

So there never was a valid reason to ban legal use of petrol powered bicycles - Every reason given was taken from already illegal bicycles and then used as a reason to ban bicycles that did not exhibit those characteristics.

So... When you use illegal activity to ban legal activity, there's no other conclusion to reach than "Instead of enforcing the existing laws to deal with illegal motorcycle conversions, they banned legal ones for no valid purpose, with clear political and ideological outcomes overriding legitimate interests".

They, being those who were behind banning the bicycles in NSW and QLD.

Hence, the innocent were punished for purely political purposes so it would look like something was being done about illegal activities.... None of the reasons provided during question time, or in any research as provided supporting the ban was in any way legitimate given the target. So those who sold, bought and rode petrol PAPCs lost their rights, their investments and saw their assets made unusable. And those who flouted the law with high-powered petrol cycles didn't care - they just ride 1kW and 2kW electrics now and are even more dangerous.

A lot of lies was told in the banning of petrol bikes.

Regards
David.

I see your point, but feel there is nothing worth worrying about losing at 200w. I am punished by living in a place with hills and mountains. 200 w is a waste of time for anywhere but in flat areas like Brisbane river or at the gold coast. that's the only place I can see that working and heck, give me a road bike any day with less hassles.

Theres a kid around my place who used to ride his 25kmh petrol bike and it stank and was noisy as hell. That deserved to get removed from the suburbs and parks.

John Bozi said:
I see your point, but feel there is nothing worth worrying about losing at 200w. I am punished by living in a place with hills and mountains. 200 w is a waste of time for anywhere but in flat areas like Brisbane river or at the gold coast. that's the only place I can see that working and heck, give me a road bike any day with less hassles.

Theres a kid around my place who used to ride his 25kmh petrol bike and it stank and was noisy as hell. That deserved to get removed from the suburbs and parks.

If the bike's legal, it's at worst a slight nuisance - I think there should be some respect to others shown by those who use such bikes, eg, make sure the muffler is good and it's relatively quiet and use a good and slightly lean mix of oil - but I think banning them is a little bit much if they are obeying the law - Generally they aren't really any worse than driving a car, even with a 2-stroke engine. I'd agree that they should probably pass new laws on all engines, which would make the really noisy/smelly ones unusable - and that much is likely... But those standards should be applied to anything that uses an engine, not bicycles specifically.

I do get annoyed when people go past my place late at night, revving the engine like crazy... My own petrol PAPC isn't very loud - and even in neutral, it can't rev very fast. I run at nearly 50:1 mix and that's fine. And if I'm approaching people or passing walkers/joggers etc, I usually stop the engine. Also, I stop the engine when I come in close to houses at night when returning home - the pedals do work just fine anyway. Though when it's idling in my garage, no one inside can hear it, so I guess I did an OK job on the exhaust repairs.

200w isn't a lot of torque at 25kph, but at 12 kph, it's double the torque. I find I can climb most hills OK on a single-gear bike if the engine is running - the same hills I have trouble with when pedalling on an 18gear bike. But 200w is a bit low, and they should impose a speed limit on motor assist instead of a power output - because if it could provide 1kW up a hill, that would make it pretty nice, and it doesn't matter if it's only at 25kph. But I'm not holding my breath for that to occur.

The new limit for petrol and electric bikes in WA will be 250w, and they say it will apply to PAPCs as well as pedelecs. The DoT here seems to be a little more enlightened, and hopefully will stay that way - very helpful people.

Regards
David.

cj7hawk said:

This post reminds me of propaganda I saw distributed by a 4WD recreation group, when there was some talk about limiting 4WDs from general use after several P plater deaths - including a roll over, and one P plater ramming another and killing her. It had things like:

1. 4WDs are no worse on the environment*
2. 4WDs are no more likely to to have a roll over**
3. 4WDs are safer in collisions***

* Than other vehicles of similar weight and aerodynamic profile
** Than other vehicles of of similar height and wheelbase
*** For the drivers and passenger of the 4WD only.

You get the point. They were trying to push an agenda, and at best, you could say they were being misleading.

I am trying to find the original link from the RMS (NSW's road authority) that basically said that every sample kit they bought that claimed was under 200W was in fact well over, and that they were unable to modify it so that it was under 200W.

Best I could find was dozens of posts similar to this:

it's impossible for a fuel motor to be less than 200w unless it's for a model train set or somthing very very small. for exsample a 50cc being 50ml of fuel produces minumum 2,300 watts and that'd be a very poor one, 200w scooters are electric scooter and cant go over 35kmhr because their too weak.

http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/p/2541/6809.aspx

On that basis, they said that they were banning them, so that police were not forced to dyno every bike, knowing inevitably that it would fail.

cj7hawk said:
200w isn't a lot of torque at 25kph, but at 12 kph, it's double the torque.

The only way you're going to do that is either with electronic control or a continuously variable gear box. In reality, the motor puts out what it puts out. It's just simply torque x rpm, and a motor's max torque is determined by its design. Have a look at this graph. Ignore the actual figures - it's from a motorcycle, but almost all ICE motors have the same shape:

index.php

If say, 7.5krpm was 25km/h, you'd have 95nm of torque (Again, ignore the actual values, it's just for example) . At 12.5km/h, without gearing, you'd be about 3750rpm and have about 95nm of torque. Your max torque would be at 5500rpm, or 18km/h. You don't get to increase torque according to your speed, unless you get a motor that can do >200w everywhere, then limit the transfer of torque somehow.

To further compound this problem, torque near idle is almost zero - that's why dynographs usually start from about 2000rpm. What this means on a bike is that if it's legal at the maximum speed, then anything at low speed, you threaten to stall, the kit wouldn't be usable. I could show you an ICE motor that at 10cc can put out 1200w. It weighs 2kg. Why do you think someone would choose a 48cc motor that weighs 9kg if that was the case? Because they need the bigger displacement for low end torque.

What's the point of all this? Not much really, except I think you're fooling yourself. Your bike is probably safe - from the sounds of it, probably safer and closer to compliance than most eBikes here. But you are probably the 1% that was caught out.

The reality is, a friend of mine bought a 2 stroke bike advertised as legal, and it went close to 70km/h. That's nearly 3kw right there. So a guy who in good faith thought he was compliant with the law, was fooled by a vendor. Fooled really, by a standard that is impossible to achieve. I think the RMS was extremely clear why the law is in place, and I 100% agree with it:

The ban frees police from making roadside technical judgements on the power output of petrol-powered bicycles and makes it simpler for them to force these dangerous bicycles off the road, protecting riders and other road users. The guidelines also provide consumers with clearer information about the bicycles that are legal to ride on the road.

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/bicyclists/petrol-powered-bicycles.html

The law is good because it frees up police time from proving that 99% of the time, the bike is going to be illegal.

The law is good because it protects innocent consumers like my friend from buying illegal products.

I'm sorry that your bike - which is probably safer than many electrics on here - would not be legal in NSW. But you really literally are the 1% that is caught out by a sensible rule.

Sunder said:
I'm sorry that your bike - which is probably safer than many electrics on here - would not be legal in NSW. But you really literally are the 1% that is caught out by a sensible rule.

Hi Sunder,

I see you're trying to maintain a balanced post, and realize you made it in good faith, but I'm about to point out why you're in serious error in nearly everything you just said - and the problem I have is with comments like yours being so mainstream and based on both deliberate lies and mistruths as the result of a campaign against petrol bicycles that began in NSW and QLD. There are a lot of lies told about petrol bicycles and a lot of people believe them and re-propagate them. :(

Before I go through your points, I'll mention that petrol bicycles were not something that snuck in under the guise of legitimate electric bicycles as many believe. Petrol bicycles have existed since 1991 on Australian roads, and it's electrics that came in on Petrol bicycle laws - not the other way around - so there's a long history associated with legitimate petrol bicycles, and all the issues were solved more than 20 years ago, despite what some would have you believe.

OK, let's go through your comments.

I am trying to find the original link from the RMS (NSW's road authority) that basically said that every sample kit they bought that claimed was under 200W was in fact well over, and that they were unable to modify it so that it was under 200W.

Here's the links -
http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/downloads/motorised-bicycle-tests.pdf
http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/bicyclists/petrol-powered-bicycles.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D_YbIvjiVDc

Some of the worst "research" I've ever seen, omits the researcher's names ( no surprise there ) and contradicts itself, and to say it's massively biased would even then be an understatement - It's an exercise that would be very accurately described as a hatchet job created through a series of straw man arguments that uses the following justification for banning petrol bicycles - All bicycles are dangerous at speeds of 19kph and higher, and I doubt you'll find any valid reasoning within that document at all.

Firstly, they confirm that several manufacturers of 200w bicycles all came within the limit, and the one tested was 149w. They admit to heavily modifying this motor ( to produce power ) and achieved 521w ( modified ) however the Electric they tested against produced 596w STOCK. It also produced an average 74w, well under the "250w" it was rated at. This is a common issue with Pedelecs. None of the bicycles ( including the high-powered ones ) were capable of going faster than 37kph, including 66cc unrestricted models, which were ALWAYS motorcycles under the law, and this is well below what current 1kW Electrics ( conversion kits similar cost to petrol kits ) can do - at around 45kph.

Then they claim that the bicycles are dangerous by braking distance, by showing the Pedelec stops in 4.95m, while the petrol stops in 8.6m - However that was at 19kph and 24kph respective - Make corrections for the speed ( 5kph higher ) and the difference in distance, attributed to the quality of the brakes, was just 10cm difference ( assuming constant force braking, which is pretty reasonable ) - However they buried the fact that the Petrol actually could stop in 4.6m from 24kph in an emergency, and if you read it, they state they deliberately went through a process before stopping the petrol bicycle, so, in reality, it stopped shorter than the electric bicycle. This is all in the report. What's not in the report is that the model of pedelec chosen continues to produce power after you stop pedalling for a moment, and that as a result of this, it can't stop any shorter.

Finally they attack the "high speeds" attained by legal petrol cycles of 24kph, and mention that the brakes of an un-upgraded bicycle are not sufficient for this speed ( Front disc, rear calipers ) -

Now, at around 3 to 5kg, that's not a lot of weight to add to momentum for an adult travelling on a bicycle is it? This same report and the findings were used to justify these high speeds as dangerous, by pointing out that if a cyclist hit an elderly pedestrian at these speeds ( 24kph ) bones would break...

Notice we're still not talking about Electrics that never got banned? How fast are they ? 45 to 60 kph STOCK.. Still being sold in NSW the entire time, and although the testing team was aware of these bicycles they specifically turned a blind eye to them, and did not include them in the tests ( I spoke to people who brought this up while they were testing the bicycles ) -

So, End of report - Petrol bicycles stop faster than electric bicycles and legal ones don't go over 24kph. Stock Pedelecs exceed the legal limit by 600w and this is considered within the law.

OK, you're next point. The graph. Well, graphs like that take a lot of reading, and you need to be an engineer ( or to spend a lot of time with them ) to understand them.

Now, if you gear the bicycle correctly, then maximum torque isn't going to be achieved, because at around 24kph, you'll have as much wind resistance as you have thrust, so you'll hit equilibrium, however let's assume you have a strong tailwind or downhill section to counter that.... Well, coming from a background as a CAMS steward, I know exactly how that problem is solved in motors. You limit the intake aperture. That then causes something like this.

david-gx35_honda_simulated_curve_2.jpg

However I'll also point out that some commercial 25cc motors do include 200w within the maximum continuous operating power envelope, including an automatic clutch! So the argument that this isn't achievable is an outright lie - This is how it was done since around 1991, and it was legal back then and is still legal now in most states. In my case, the aperture for a 50cc motor is around 5~6mm dia - which ironically is similar to what a small model aircraft motor has... This solves the problem of pinching off the torque above the engineering gearing range of the bicycle. The result? a 200w maximum power engine.

You can also modify the exhaust and the throttle to achieve similar outcomes, and all will result in an engine engineered to a maximum of around 4000rpm and 200w output power. But modifying the inlet is a widely recognized and valid method of achieving this - it's also the most reliable way to do it - no electronics required.

Most of these motors weigh around 3~5 kg BTW - not 9kg as you suggest. The one I'm using at the moment ( 33.5cc ) has a maximum power output of around 1kW, but if geared according to manufacturer specifications, with direct shaft drive, includes 200w in it's maximum continuous power output envelope.

What you say about the low-end torque? That's pretty much correct, so it's an engineering task to maximize low-end torque, but essentially, direct drive petrol only really works well at full speed - around 18-24 kph. It might pull you up a hill at around 14, but any slower and it will stall. Those torques are out-of-envelope too and the motor isn't designed to handle them, but due to the low power will probably handle them OK anyway.

One advantage my new Electric-X petrol bicycle, which would be legal in ALL states in Australia, has is the electric drive system, while the petrol engine is a non-propulsion engine and doesn't count legally. As a result, even though it's underpowered and only has 125w of power... Still, it has massive torque from a standstill and can make a standing start just fine, and has fine enough throttle control I can navigate traffic baffles quite easily under power.

The law is good because it frees up police time from proving that 99% of the time, the bike is going to be illegal.

It's not a good law, because Petrol bicycles were the ONLY bicycles being brought in that were legal and tested to conform to Australian standards... Look into the history of why they brought in Pedelec laws - You'll find that the ones the government was using were OVERPOWERED. This is the reason for the law change - and it involves turning a blind eye to peak power too. Not forgetting of course that some of us don't want to have to pedal all the time. The new NSW laws go like this. YOU MUST PEDAL ALL THE TIME. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO COAST. Heck, you can even coast on a normal bicycle, but get caught doing that on a Pedelec is now illegal ! Please explain to me how that's a good law? Please explain to me why you don't have to pedal a normal bicycle downhill, but if you don't pedal a powered bicycle it becomes a motorcycle? Because that's the guidance provided to police for prosecution.

Oh, and remember what I said about 200w electrics not ever being tested? Think about that too... The police are turning a blind eye to ALL powered bicycles, yet Petrol bicycles were amongst the most underpowered of the lot... And they are easy to test... Just do a test run with a GPS and you'll have a good approximation of the power within a few seconds. Don't pretend police can't do that - And once they know a bicycle is reasonably overpowered, then they could send it to a dyno and prosecute. Here's the truth - police have no intent to enforce power limits on any bicycle... And electrics produce a LOT more power than petrols, and are a LOT more difficult for police to test.

The reality is, a friend of mine bought a 2 stroke bike advertised as legal, and it went close to 70km/h. That's nearly 3kw right there. So a guy who in good faith thought he was compliant with the law, was fooled by a vendor. Fooled really, by a standard that is impossible to achieve. I think the RMS was extremely clear why the law is in place, and I 100% agree with it:

And if your friend bought a licensed 250cc motorcycle that really had a 2000cc engine in it, he'd be in trouble with the law too, but let's be clear about one thing. Your friend did not ride it in good faith. All legal guidance makes it clear a 200w bicycle won't usually go faster than about 25kph. If caught doing 70, and asked to explain by a magistrate why he thought it was compliant when a compliant bicycle should do around 25kph, I think they'd be hard pressed to demonstrate good faith, and at best could demonstrate only ignorance. Let's face it - at best, your good friend was fooled by the salesman - but once they knew how fast it went, they could have taken action to get a new bicycle, take it back or take other action. The only action they were not "in good faith" entitled to was to continue riding it, reasonably knowing it wasn't compliant.

The testing authorities pointed out that people were selling modified bicycles that could go faster - but there were already legal remedies to that, and they could have enforced the law through fair-trading and other avenues. But they didn't, because they had an agenda. There were plenty of people selling legal bicycles, and it wouldn't have been difficult to prosecute the few who weren't. But when you ask why, the "A" word keeps coming up. The people who tested the bicycles at NSW center for road safety were told about Electric bicycles having the same potential issues as petrol ones, but chose to ignore that... Agenda... Agenda... And in the end, their reports showed the petrol bicycle could stop in 4.6m and the Electric in 4.95... Notice the significant figures there? Even 4.95 should be 5.0... Agenda. Because they still claimed that the petrol bicycle was more dangerous based on a subjective evaluation of the speed from which it stopped ( 24kph ).

Now, as a direct result of this stupid legislation, Australia has a huge influx of 1kW electric bicycles to replace the petrols, with people riding them on footpaths at around 50kph... Perhaps you can explain why you think this outcome of the law is a good one? Because if you read the cycling forums, you'll find many people who have almost been cleaned up by some idiot who loses his license for DD, then rides an electric bicycle to work. My neighbor tells of someone in his work ( vehicle engineering ) who modified an electric bicycle after such an event and got caught overtaking a police car on the freeway.

Read the report. They blame everything else for the dangers of petrol bicycles. Backyard mechanics - like those who service bicycles - are dangerous. Brakes aren't designed for high speeds of 24kph. Motorcycles that look similar can only do speeds of 37kph and were illegal to begin with were also tested, and confused into the results. They point out that they managed to burn themselves on an exhaust, but I've never burned myself - I guess some bicycles aren't as well designed, but that's not a reason to ban them.

There is only one truth about the banning of petrol bicycles in NSW and QLD. Someone had an agenda, and was incredibly successful. They used the example of a kid on the run from police who road head-on into oncoming traffic - and because he was on a powered cycle, they blamed the powered cycle and failed to disclose all the circumstances of the accident.

So please don't keep propagating the falsehoods that you did - because all you're doing is turning public opinion based on deliberate lies in such a way that only those with legitimate interests will suffer.

Happy to discuss technical details - But please think through the comments you make before you make them. Having actually re-engineered a petrol bicycle ( including printing my own manifold ) and

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I have to point out there are significant errors in fact in your reply which virtually invalidates all of your claims.

For example, you say:

cj7hawk said:
Firstly, they confirm that several manufacturers of 200w bicycles all came within the limit, and the one tested was 149w.

However, you are incorrectly reading from the continuous power column, not the maximum power column in that table. Bikes with a throttle, which this one did, are measured by maximum power, not continuous power. You will note that after the "legal" restrictor was installed, the maximum power was 521.99w, down from an unrestricted 1267.69w, making it clearly illegal.

Further more:

1. The fact that an uncontrolled and dangerous stop could be shorter than a controlled stop was not hidden - The test was not to determine the absolute quickest the bike could stop. It was to compare petrol bikes with electric bikes in a like for like manner. That means both bikes have to stop from their maximum speed, without losing traction and therefore control. This meets the stated objective of the report, which was :

The purpose of the tests was to determine whether the petrol-powered bicycles met the definition of a power assisted pedal cycle, and to compare these with an electrically powered bicycle marketed as a power assisted pedal cycle of the “pedalec” variety.

2. Illegal electric motorcycles were not within the scope of the test. See above. Specifically, there had been a number of deaths on petrol powered bikes, but no corresponding number of deaths on electric powered bikes:

Of most concern are standard bicycles fitted with petrol engines. A fatal crash in October 2013 involving a 14 year old boy riding one of these vehicles prompted the Centre for Road Safety to carry out a series of tests on a number of petrol-powered motorised bicycles.

3. It is fully legal to coast on an electric bike. Either on a 200W maximum electric bike at any time, or a 250w continuous electric bike, if the motor cuts out while coasting.

I start losing you for much of the rest of your post - not so much that I don't follow, but more that I don't see your point. (E.g. There is a clause in the law called an "S10" - a reasonable and honest mistake. If a person had bought an advertised bike that said it was compliant with the law, and did not have the knowledge to suspect it was not compliant, they are considered to have made a reasonable and honest mistake, and have done it in good faith. I don't understand your point of splitting hairs between ignorant and good faith) However, I don't believe anything I've stated is a falsehood - at most a generalisation. As your post is riddled with errors, I can only assume that the perceived falsehoods stem from your miscomprehension.

As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. A lot of people have died on petrol bikes, whereas they have not on electric bikes. There was an agenda - a clearly defined, and well argued agenda, and the people in parliament were convinced. That's not to say that politicians get it right every time - or even most the time. But how many petrol bike deaths have there been since the ban? I haven't heard of any. Again, the proof of the pudding is in the eating: The new law achieved its stated objective - stop foolish kids and DUIs from killing themselves on dangerous bikes. The agenda was clear, the argument persuasive. I need nothing more. What's your agenda?

Back