• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Aussies Build More Bike Lanes

Kent

1 kW
From Treehugger:

Sydney Builds Separate Bike Lanes, Ridership Skyrockets 82%

Brian Merchant
Transportation / Bikes
June 28, 2012

New research on cycling habits is in from Sydney, and it turns out that city dwellers are less likely to start biking if they're afraid a lumbering SUV might crush their back tire or that errant car doors will send them over their handlebars. Who knew?

The Australian city is in the process of implementing its 2030 blueprint for a greener city, and it's building a hell of a lot of bike lanes. As in 200 kilometers (125 miles) worth. City government is also spearheading a program to increase ridership amongst its citizens—it wants 10% of the metropolis biking by 2030. And its research on ridership reveals that there's a magic ingredient to success: separate bike lanes.

According to the Guardian, the lanes
"have been successful in persuading previous non-cyclists to get out on their bikes. Research done by the council has shown that the likelihood of a resident commuting by bike increases exponentially with the proportion of their commuting trip made possible on a separated bike lane."

The city is now in the process of building 55 kilometers of them.

Sydney also introduced a raft of other measures, including "decreased speed limits and extensive junction redesigns which give cyclists priority and improve visibility." There are also safe cycling courses, bike maps, and free bike bells. The result? Less accidents all around—and here's the kicker: "All these measures have combined to produce rapid growth in cycling over two years, with numbers up by an average of 82% across all areas of the city."

82%? That's almost doubling ridership. That's insane.

This, ladies and gentleman, is how you get people interested in bikes—safe infrastructure and concerted efforts to put cyclists first. They're after all, the vulnerable ones, exposed on small aluminum frames in dense, high-traffic roadways.

I know there's a modicum of controversy around separated bike lanes—they're expensive, and as Lloyd has pointed out, it'd be preferable if we could "accomplish the same thing just by squashing this ridiculous notion that cyclists are somehow “second class” road users." But the fact is, they work. My friends who don't bike in New York almost always cite safety reasons. I don't blame them—I've nearly been clipped by swerving sedans plenty of times, and a good friend has been creamed by a cab. To get the average citizen interested in biking, it has to seem like a safe, easy proposition.

Good thing then, that the investment pays off in dividends: decreased congestion, happier, healthier pubic, and fewer accidents. Me, I'm not so concerned about the "Us vs Them" mentality some fear separated lanes may seed between cyclists and motorists—we should simply be striving to get more people biking. So let's build some lanes—and they will.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, yes and yes, 'couldn't agree more! Heat in NYC is starting to build and it's no fun sitting next to boiling HOT engines pumping their pollution into the immediate air while burning said air - excuse me, I'm only trying to breath here!

My dream of the future would be separate lanes for relatively lightweight 10-30MPH vehicles. Video monitored parking/charging might be another step in the right direction.

Best of all, they are bike lanes. Not multi use paths full of whining walkers who hate bikes.

dogman said:
Best of all, they are bike lanes. Not multi use paths full of whining walkers who hate bikes.

Oh trust me, you'll still get abused by clueless pedestrians that walk and step out on them despite the "bicycles only" signs every few hundred metres.

At first i was kind of on the fence for seperate bike lanes, you could easily put them on the road at a fraction of the cost. But now i reckon they are pretty much needed in areas where people commute alot. Its also pretty nice that most of the lycras dont use them(they use the road next to a bike lane cos it makes so much more sense) so theres less situations where you want to overtake them but they are too ignorant to give you the room.

Sunder said:
dogman wrote:Best of all, they are bike lanes. Not multi use paths full of whining walkers who hate bikes.

Oh trust me, you'll still get abused by clueless pedestrians that walk and step out on them despite the "bicycles only" signs every few hundred metres.

Yeah and I'm sure that they do that on purpose, don't forget they would be car drivers that hate bikes and now they may be getting jealous, here in Perth there are a lot more new lanes popping up along railway lines heading into the city, about time

You don't get pedestrians in the lanes much as a lot of people are moving at a decent speed, you are also seperated from traffic by a median strip a lot of the time, and have your own traffic signals.

Pedestrians + Sydney cycle couriers = messy anyway. Some of these guys would knock you over and keep riding. (Actually, if you were in a bike lane, they would line you up, knock you over then ride over you :) )

Unfortunately...this is how ALL cyclists from the north of Sydney have to commute across the famous bridge.
Its incredible to see how much unused cycleways they have built, ( lower Burke st ?) and yet they have ignored this major obstacle that confronts thousands of cyclists every day !

55stepsDSCN0809.jpg

Hillhater said:
Unfortunately...this is how ALL cyclists from the north of Sydney have to commute across the famous bridge.
Its incredible to see how much unused cycleways they have built, ( lower Burke st ?) and yet they have ignored this major obstacle that confronts thousands of cyclists every day !

55stepsDSCN0809.jpg

What the Sam Hill? Did you get 30 of your friends to ride that day?

I've been riding 9 months now, and never seen more than 4-5 people on that ramp!

Either that, or most cyclists get up earlier than me! (i get into work about 9:00-915)

I've been riding on the new Sydney bike lanes since they opened up, most often on the Bourke St section. Now there are almost always other cyclists using it when I am, though some periods are quieter then others. I've also regularly seen bicycle cops using it who probably prefer it to risking themselves riding on the road too :)

It only makes up a small section of my commute and has a practical speed limit of about 30 km/h max in most parts but despite this it's quicker and more relaxing than alternative routes mixing with cars.

Pedestrians, doorings and cars riding across the cycleway still present dangers but so far I have avoided these obstacles. :lol: Interestingly I've also seen a rise in people using electric kick style scooters with a seat, which are completely illegal to use on the cycleway, footpaths and roads. This is the type of which I saw 2 this morning:
revo1000_frt_left_800_1.png

voicecoils said:
Interestingly I've also seen a rise in people using electric kick style scooters with a seat, which are completely illegal, on the cycleway, footpaths and roads. This is the type of which I saw 2 this morning:
revo1000_frt_left_800_1.png

Can I ask why these are illegal?

Sunder said:
Hillhater said:

[ img]http://www.sydneyharbourlink.com/files/55stepsDSCN0809.jpg[/img]

I've been riding 9 months now, and never seen more than 4-5 people on that ramp!

Either that, or most cyclists get up earlier than me! (i get into work about 9:00-915)

Probably taken a ride to work day or similar. It's a photo from the group pushing for long ramp to be built there. I rarely saw 10+ people on the bridge steps in 2 years of bike commuting across the harbour. I'd like a ramp too but the steps actually didn't bug me too much, it was a small inconvenience my overall commute. I would much rather have had a cycleway along the pacific highway where I'd be stuck riding up hills at 15 km/h between parked cars and traffic doing 80 km/h.

Sunder said:
voicecoils said:
Interestingly I've also seen a rise in people using electric kick style scooters with a seat, which are completely illegal, on the cycleway, footpaths and roads. This is the type of which I saw 2 this morning:

I should have been more clear. They are legal to buy but not to use except on private property.

From the RTA:

The following vehicles (irrespective of the power output of the motor) are banned from use on roads or in public areas.

Motorised foot scooters (with or without a seat) – electric/petrol engine
Mini bikes or monkey bikes
Motorised human transporters such as the WheelMan, or SEGWAY
Motorised skateboards – electric/petrol engine

They even kindly provide a picture:
motorisedfootscooterseat.gif

Source: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/unregisteredvehicles/scootersminibikes.html

voicecoils said:
Sunder said:
voicecoils said:

I should have been more clear. They are legal to buy but not to use except on private property.

From the RTA:

The following vehicles (irrespective of the power output of the motor) are banned from use on roads or in public areas.

Motorised foot scooters (with or without a seat) – electric/petrol engine
Mini bikes or monkey bikes
Motorised human transporters such as the WheelMan, or SEGWAY
Motorised skateboards – electric/petrol engine

They even kindly provide a picture:
motorisedfootscooterseat.gif

Source: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/unregisteredvehicles/scootersminibikes.html

Ah, okay, thanks.

Sunder said:
Hillhater said:

55stepsDSCN0809.jpg

...Close to 800 cyclists an hour ride across the Sydney Harbour Bridge during the morning peak,
http://www.sydneyharbourlink.com/
But i just think its pathetic that "Mad Moore" has spent so much on cycleways to nowhere (Taylor Sq to Wooloomaloo ??)
and yet couldnt find a few grand ( ? $250k ??) to give proper ,safe, access to the north city cyclists
Actually, i dont know how they get away with not facilitating disabled (wheelchair) access to the Bridge on the North side ? :shock:

Back