Awesome new FET package :) :) :) Not a geek? you won't care

johnrobholmes said:
Hey, I can dream about shoehorning it into a 1/10th scale and watching the driveline explode :lol: You are right though, the craft that need so much power have the room for it.

I've been working on an off road mobility "chair" for a friend, and our biggest hangup is the controller. He wants to really bind the sucker up and push through tough terrain, which means a lot of low speed high duty throttle. We plan to limit power at 4000 watts per motor and use the stator pattern like a 9c, stack height TBD. im kinda hoping that we kill off the shelf controllers so we have a reason to build our own.

Sounds like a cool project, and sounds like an excellent application for what is perhaps the worlds most compact high-continuous power (because this module can cool effectively) FET stage. :)

What's bummed me out, is my IXYS rep still can't get me a price on them! He has been telling me he will have it for me for a month and a half now... In his defense though, it's evidently something they are only even shipping in tiny engineering sample qty right now because it's such a new product.

I'm just praying they will be <$100 each, because if they are, a few good caps, a heatsink, and a tiny SMT based Lebowski-brain to control it and you've got an amazing robust controller for like ~$150 in parts and something very DIY friendly to make. Should be on par with something like a 12-18fet controller in the space of a 6-fet.

Back