• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bad Controller --To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Todd

1 W
Hi Everyone,
A friend with an I-Zip chopper that he bought new years ago(7 maybe 10) and has had no issues other replacing the rear tire, has asked me to help with a no power issue. Quickly was able to determine that the controller is the issue.
Here inlays the question. Replace the stock controller $65 OR try and do a upgrade with the another $210 that he can spend-Total $275 . Total budget $275. I know not much to work with.
The stock electric's are compiled like this. Two 12V 12 Ah lead acids (many yrs and many cycles), Currie 7~26V- 40A controller, 450w Currie Model XYD-6B -24V- 28A- 2600 rpm motor.
Controller and batteries are nicely incased in plastic covers with accesses to a 40-amp fuse and an on-off rocker switch that makes it look as if their is a real gas engine in the bike. Ok --If your across the street, it's dark, like the back street boys.. you get were I'm going with this.
Pictures of a very similar bike can be fond at http://www.evdeals.com/images/ElectricBikes/Stingray%20opposite%20from%20motor%20side%20for%20website.JPG & http://www.evdeals.com/images/ElectricBikes/Stingray%20for%20Website.JPG

Could something to done with $ that could expanded on in the future?

There are relays in those controllers that have been known to go bad. Have you ruled out that possible failure?

No.
I have never opened a controller.
The idea is the upgrade that can be expanded on as he has more cash. i.e ..controller that can be used with 36v? or start a pack of 24v or 36v that can be add too in the future?

OK, I only mention as an alternative to buying a new $65 OEM controller. I'm not sure I'd want to go any faster than the stock controller allows on a chopper. I have a stretch cruiser on which I can't stand on the pedals, and as a consequence its relegated to slow speed duty.

Yes thanks.
Speed.. we can change the gears up and down for top end and torque. Greater Ah or higher c or chem that provides more cycles that seems to be were we are going.
Hoping to get some ideas on ways to spend $275.00 THAT MAKE SCENCE.
I know I can't think about starting a pack if I don't consider the controller which not working.

Back