Balance plug connections for 12S with Htperion 1420

bigisland

10 W
When charging a 12s 3p Lipo battery pack on the 1420i charger

you have the two sets of three 6s balance leads that are paralleled together. So when plugging in the two 6s plugs into the charger,

How do you know which plug goes in which charger port, or does it not matter?

Thanks

Yes it will matter,
Not sure if your charger has a remote balance lead connection board or not, but there should be marking on it or at least on the charger body showing one side of the JST socket as Neg and the other side as Positive.

You have two 7 pin connectors right? one is connected to the most negative block of packs..that goes to the negative side of the socket on the charger board

Since series battery connections start on negative and end at positive, the pack connected to the negative lead would be pack 1, the pack connected to positive would be pack 2.

You can figure this out on a voltmeter by touching the negative lead of cell #1 to the positive lead of cell #12, then moving your way backwards. This will help you understand the series connection.

Your charger should be labeled as 'A' and 'B' or '1' and '2'. The pack closest to the negative lead would go into '1' or 'A'.
Once you figure it out, i would label these for future reference.

Thanks neil and Neptronix, I've found this here which I guess explains it also

Are you talking about a pack connected in series? For that the balance lead for the negative side battery must go to the right-side port

Does anyone know what type of connector is the Hyperion balance connector input on the charger?

Should be a jst-hx, 8 pin ( for 7 cells )

You may need to buy one of hyperion's extenders if you don't have one.

The charger should (mine did) come with balance boards allowing you to plug in from 2-6s packs into each 7s port (or plug a 7s directly)

Back