Batteries that last 20 years.

adobian

10 W
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/05/new-lithium-ion-battery-could-last-20-years-long-after-youve-b/

The secret to the long-lasting lithium-ion? In current designs, the tin that's used for the battery's negative electrode weakens through continual charging and recharging. The new design, however, calls for tin-coated resin that stabilizes the electrode and prevents deterioration. Why didn't we think of that? Look forward to seeing these exciting, new batteries debut in electric scooters sometime this year

But us garage guys will never see them in all likelihood. And that's if they aren't vaporware to begin with.

Cool...

Eamex site here:
http://www.eamex.co.jp/

Google translation from original Japanese:
Cathode conductive polymer battery / capacitor

現在リチウムイオン電池を用いたビジネス展開で一番問題となっている製造コストと寿命の問題を解決する、 全く新しい導電性高分子電極(正極)を開発しました。 To solve the problem of production cost and life has become a business development issues for the most current lithium-ion batteries, brand new conductive polymer electrode (the cathode) has been developed.

電極素材100%が導電性高分子でできているため、導電性の低下がなく 、充放電性能は鉛電池の3倍の性能を達成しました。 Because the conductive polymer is made ​​of 100% of the electrode material, without a reduction in conductivity, charge and discharge performance was achieved three times the performance of lead-acid batteries. また、 優れた耐久性・寿命は導電性高分子本来の特性であり、蓄電デバイスとして高いレベルで全体の性能を達成しました。 In addition, the lifetime durability are inherent properties of conductive polymers, has achieved a high level of overall performance as a storage device.

製造コストは電極素材の導電性高分子は樹脂であるため価格が安く 、また、電極の製造方法は ロール to ロールによる電解重合の1工程で連続製造されるため非常に安くなり、 既存金属酸化物正極の1/10で非常に低コストの製造が可能となります。 Production cost of a conductive polymer electrode material because it is cheap and plastic, and method of manufacturing the electrode becomes very cheap because it is produced in one step of electropolymerization with continuous roll to roll, metal oxide existing enables production of very low cost 1 / 10 of the positive electrode.

=== 今までにない優れた特性 === === === Superior than ever
導電性高分子 正極 Conductive polymer cathode

1. 1. 高出力密度7,000W/kg (セル)であり、Liイオン電池の10倍以上 EDLCキャパシタを上回る高出力 7,000 W / kg high power density (cell), and high output of more than 10 times greater than the capacitor EDLC Li-ion battery
2. 2. 急速充電3~10分で充電が完了する Charging is complete in 3 to 10 minutes fast charge
エネルギー回収効率が格段に向上 Significantly improve the efficiency of energy recovery
3. 3. 高耐久性 充放電1万回でも劣化せず、 20年以上の寿命 10,000 without any degradation of durability discharge, over 20 years of life
4. 4. 低コスト 導電性高分子の連続電解重合で製造、無人・24時間稼動既存正極の1/10のコスト Produced in a continuous conductive polymer electrolytic polymerization low-cost, cost of 1 / 10 of an existing positive 24x7 unattended
5. 5. エネルギー密度 80Wh/kg(セル)であり、 鉛電池の3倍の性能 80Wh/kg energy density (cell), and three times the battery performance of lead
6. 6. 高い安全性 熱的に安定で発火の危険性が少ない Low risk of ignition of thermally stable high safety

=== キャパシタ電池 === Capacitor Batteries === ===

1. 1. 正極に導電性高分子 、負極にグラファイトを使用 Conductive polymer positive electrode, negative electrode using a graphite
2. 2. 電解液、構造、電圧(3.6V)はLiイオン電池と同じ Electrolyte, structure, and the voltage (3.6V) Li-ion battery is the same as
3. 3. 負極グラファイトにLiのプレドープが必要 Need Puredopu graphite anode of Li
4. 4. 充電:電解液中のLi +がグラファイトにドープ BF 4 -が導電性高分子にドープ 放電:グラファイトからLi +が電解液中に脱ドープ 導電性高分子からBF 4 -が脱ドープ Charge the Li +-doped graphite BF 4 in the electrolyte solution - conductive polymer doped with a discharge: BF 4 from the de-doped conductive polymer electrolyte in the Li + graphite - a de-doping

I have 2 Texaco 36v ebike nimh packs about 11 years old that still get er done ! :)

Batteries that last 20years seems like more of a curse than an advantage. lol

You would just have to feel more guilty about chucking them in 5 years when battery technology became so much better that you don't want them anymore. lol

liveforphysics said:

You would just have to feel more guilty about chucking them in 5 years when battery technology became so much better that you don't want them anymore. lol

oh, i think i could find a use to re-purpose them somewhere if you wanna chukem my way.
right hombrewolf?

20 year lifespan would be fine with me for some things, I'm so happy with my cellphone batteries that seem to last 6 months. Likely that's the charger more than anything though.

20 year lifespan would be great for some critical things, power back up units, smoke alarms, solar off grid. But still too expensive to beat lead as of today on lots of that stuff.

sweet; i hope it comes to market at a reasonable price
it sounds even better than the SCiB batteries by toshiba which only get 6000 or so cycles and cost too much.

liveforphysics said:

Like my Texaco packs ! :)

TVs used to last 5 to 10 years.

Now they are made to last 2 years or so.

Computers and laptops too.

That may be why I am finding so many laptop batteries so cheap ! They are for laptops older than 2 years and who wants a laptop that old ?

The batteries are outlasting the laptops ! :)

They are the only part of a laptop that is overbuilt ! :)

I have been fixing computers and TVs for over 20 years now and caps are getting worse !

I bought some cheap overhead lights at Lowes about 6 years ago and just a few months after I bought them they started messing up.

I took them apart and found 2 bad caps in each one.

I replaced those caps with ones about 10 years old from old tv boards.
They still work ! :)

liveforphysics said:

Yeah, I want more than a 20 year lifespan outta them. They should be biodegradeable. In fact, they must be really light ... (less then 100 calories each and completely edible).

Gary

only lasts that if your very careful with the C rate and the charge/discharge percentages. Its very dependent on temperature.

Chart in this shows the effect of SoC on lifecycle among other things.
http://ecee.colorado.edu/~ecen2060/materials/lecture_notes/HEV_batteries.pdf

According to this one:
http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1229.pdf
Pg 4
"In general, cycle life is about flat up to an operating temperature of 140° F.
Above that life deteriorates at about 12 cycles per degree F."

Another thing to consider is that lithium loses a percent of its total AH every year regardless of if the battery was even used or not; varies with brand and its hard to get exact figures, but 2%-10% loss of capacity per year looks to be what to expect. so even if you treated your batteries very well, they would still not be able to give you the juice after a period of time.

A few of the newer lithium tech batteries out there do away with these problems, but they arent being sold as of yet.

Back