Batteries, What Do You Think?

@wesnewell
I will bookmark that thread for when I get me some lipos, but I did get in contact with April from OSN and she is able to build me a 48V 16.5Ah (16s5p) LiFePO4 pack with the 26700 cells and a continuous 30A BMS for $290 plus $140 shipping and a 5A charger available for $70 extra. So $480 for a pack that comes with a 5A charger where ping's battery is $533 ($644 shipped) before shipping with only a 2A charger.

That sounds like a deal I cannot refuse!

Nice choice on the OSN. Probably 15-20 lbs of battery which probably won't affect your bike's handling, even if placed on your rear rack. The larger 25+ lbs 48V 20aH or higher packs will affect your bikes handling unless you situate them low and within the frame.

I ended up going with the Ping 48V 15Ah with upgraded BMS (why not) a spare 2A charger and a upgraded 5A charger.

Should I get 30A or 45A anderson power pole connectors for it?

if you got the large hi current ping BMS it will have 6AWG stranded and the 45A andersons don't fit.

the hi current BMS is the same one as your sun-thing pack. i figured you could use both the old sun-thing and the OSN pack together parallel at the cell level under the one BMS and the OSN pack would fit inside the frame from the looks of it.

I do not have my sun-thing28 pack anymore. I sold that bike in order to upgrade to a higher quality setup.

If the 45A Anderson's won't fit, then what should I get?

I just got the upgraded BMS because it wasn't that much more and I figured it could only do good and no harm to do so.

i don't know connectors. the pp75 is the next size up i think. or solder it in permanently and put a switch on the controller circuit current and remove any drain down resistor from the controller.

Well, now that you have the high current bms, but won't be drawing high current, you can snip off enough strands to make it just like a 12g wire. Then put on the andersons, and put some heat shrink on the now thinner, but exposed bit of wire that still sticks out of the housing.

Have Grin put some extra andersons in the box with your motor order.

Should I see if Ping can take the High Rate BMS off my order? It shouldn't do any harm having it, right?
I just got it incase I use it with another motor and controller in the future that would draw more than 25A.

Edit: I did as Justin @ Grin if he can include some for me, but at the same time I inquired to Ping about putting some on and which ones would work. Ping said he can put some 45A models on it for free before they ship my order. Win! I am glad I went with Ping, he's been great via email and I do like the warranty!

Would it do any harm to have it, or is it just an unnecessary feature? I did notice Ping didn't have information for how many amps his High Rate BMS can draw so I asked:

"With high rate BMS, the maximum continuous discharge current will be 60amps. Of course, we don’t recommend discharge it at 60amps all the time. It’s ok to draw 60amps on the 15ah pack for a period of time."

the hi current BMS will handle a lot more than 60A from looking at it. 10 mosfets in parallel so i would expect it can handle 120A.

the 15Ah ping will be hard pressed to push more than 40A. but it will if you make it.

if your controller is limited to 25A then you can use the regular BMS without any problems.

I understand. Well, if it won't hurt anything having the upgraded BMS and Ping is able to supply me with the appropriate Anderson's then I will just leave it as is! At least I have a battery capable of drawing large amperages.

tdiggs said:
Is it pretty dummy-proof to untape the sun-thing pack and fold it open and then retape it? Are the ping's the same way?
Ping can build custom configurations of his packs upon request he can split the packs into 2 sections.... 8)

@wineboyrider

That is nice to know, actually! I made a cardboard model of the dimensions he gave for his battery. I actually cut it to be slightly (5-10mm) larger in all dimensions and it seems like it would fit in the frame fine, albeit quite snug! Padding will go between the points where the battery touches the frame.

Worst case it goes on the rear rack! Which I could always get a 10Ah pack and wire it in parallel and have that one in the frame. That's a future project and would be greatly appreciated for those long rides

So e a 36 20ah is actually 2 36 10ah coupled together with a wire harness so the BMS can manage both packs......
Also look at the ecospeed batteries he sells as they are different dimensions. 8) Glad to help out . 8)

Saw the ecospeeds. Smallest he had was 10Ah, would prefer the 15!

When I wanted to wire in parallel I just take the black from one pack to the black of the other and same thing with the red wires.
Does it matter that there are two individual BMS for each pack?
What would one do to provide leads to the controller, would you just have a black and red wire come from the combined black and red wires of the new pack respectively?
Should I charge individually or just plug the charger up to one?

These questions could be asked much later on when I decide if I want extended range, but why not knock them out now in one thread. :)

Does it matter that there are two individual BMS for each pack?
What would one do to provide leads to the controller, would you just have a black and red wire come from the combined black and red wires of the new pack respectively?
Should I charge individually or just plug the charger up to one?
Ping recommends using diodes when using his battery in series. This if you have 2 BMS (batteries) if you have one battery and one BMS (splt packs) you won't need a diode. He will also sell you one reasonably.
If you get a split pack you only get one bms and the higher voltage charger??? I personally would go for the 2 bms packs, but at least 36v...+ for each one. Ping will answer your questions about charging them, although it is best to use one charger as the entire pack will always be of the same voltage (using the BMS)

Back