BBS02 - 10S Cassette cogs eating freewheel spline & remedies

respire

1 mW
Hi there,

I was just unmounting my 10-speed cassette to do a mod recommended here to get better chain line with mid-drives.

Then I saw my freewheel spline on my Novatech D882SB had been dented by the cogs of the casette:
SnL0skx.jpg

My front sprocket is a 42T, 11-42 for the cassette, my rim size 27.5inch and the BBS02 is run at 18A 52V on a cargo bike.

This is no wonder, as it seem this freehub body is made mostly of aluminium, and that history has proved this issue recurrent even on non electrified setups.

I'm considering three improvements:
- switching to a standard 10S steel freehub body instead of an aluminium one
- switching to another type of freehub body with deeper splines. The « 10 Only » and « Campagnolo » are available as replacement freehubs and are made of harder aluminium with deeper splines.
- additionaly using cogs from 7-8 gears casette might help reduce stress as they are substantially thicker than those used for my current 10S cassette. However I'd need to find proper spacers and possibly need to change derailleur and shifters...
One thing I want to keep is the ability to custom arrange gear-cogs to improve chain-line as shown in first link.

Have other people faced similar issues? What came out to work best?

Not the solution you're looking for, but I use 8-speed steel; it's inexpensive, durable and who cares about grams when you have e-power? I've even used three gears 11-17-28, spaced 8-speed for an optimum chainline. My 9-speed OEM works fine with a steel-bodied cassette, but it's only a 20 mph bike.

avoid wimpy light duty bicycle components

8 speed steel stuff wins these situations

I use both a steel freehub body, and a sunrace CSMS8 cassette. It has the six largest cogs on 2 aluminium spiders to reduce the indents. I think just the steel freehub body change should be enough.

http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csms8

Back