BBSHD Intermittent Noise

mychoui

1 µW
Hello,
I recently installed a 52v BBSHD 1000W with a 52v20ah downtube battery on my fat bike. It has only covered about 80km on the odometer. I live in Canada and ride in our cold Canadian winter.

In the morning, I take short 5-10 minute trips to catch the train without any issues, reaching up to 1000W+.

Last week, I rode back from work in a 20km distance during a crazy snowstorm at -12°C. About 30-40 minutes later, my bike started making a noise when I used the throttle or PAS under load. If I lifted my rear wheel, I could use both without any sound coming from the spinning BBSHD. I could spin it to max speed without issues, but when I used 800Watts+ (quick estimation) with me on it, it made a weird whining noise as soon as the motor kicked in.

When I got home, I brought the bike inside and tried to find information online but couldn't find anything useful. About 1 hour later, I took it outside for a quick 5-minute test, and it didn't make the sound anymore. I thought it might have been a one-time issue and used it multiple times for short rides without problems since.

Tonight, I came back from work, and the same thing happened at about -4°C outside. I brought it inside for 45 minutes, and when I went out for a 5-minute test drive, it was okay.

Any idea what this could be? Could it be the cold? Tonight, when it started making the whining sound, I touched the motor, and it was warm to the touch—not really hot but not cold either. Should that exclude the cold from being the cause, or what else could it be?

Thank you !

I would check for the appropriately used lubricant for your usage on all the moving parts of your bike. Have you looked inside the motor before?

I would check for the appropriately used lubricant for your usage on all the moving parts of your bike. Have you looked inside the motor before?
Hey Gromike, thank you for taking the time to reply. No I have not done that yet. I would have liked to wait for a bit more usage before opening it but that was my last resort. I read that some lubricant are better for cold temperature but my bike is always stored inside and when I take it out to ride, I figured the motor is creating heat so its not working under freezing temperature no ? Also if it was the grease/lubricant inside, wouldn't it be making the noise constantly instead of intermittently?

Things might sound different under different loads. And I'm talking about everything in your drivetrain. It's just that you're running in cold temps, and it makes me think about lubrication issues. I put a Tongsheng TSDZ2 on a bike and someone recommended to open the final drive an add grease. When I finally opened it up there was almost zero grease!

Things might sound different under different loads. And I'm talking about everything in your drivetrain. It's just that you're running in cold temps, and it makes me think about lubrication issues. I put a Tongsheng TSDZ2 on a bike and someone recommended to open the final drive an add grease. When I finally opened it up there was almost zero grease!
I guess I will have to open it and take a look. Weird thing is that I take it everyday for a short ride in the cold at max load and its really quiet. : /

Back