BBSHD no Pedal Assist after nylon gear greasing

tc33133

10 µW
Hi
long time lurker, first time poster
I have a BBSHD with 2000+ miles that I recently disassembled to grease the nylon primary gear to cut down on the squeaky noises. When I reassembled I got a 08 error (hall sensor) due to a bad physical connection. I reseated the connector, reassembled and the BBSHD worked fine with the throttle, but I was unable to get Pedal Assist working. I do not see any error messages on the display and have had no issues with prolonged use of the throttle. I contacted the vendor (EM3EV) but haven't heard any reply yet (who even knows if they are actively responding to support). I was wondering if there is any possibility that there was some kind of short that affected the PAS when the hall sensor connection was bad, or if its possible something happened when reassembling as the cranks feel a little different now (i can feel the clutch slip a little when pedalling slowly and backward). I've taken the motor apart for greasing/maintenance before and hadn't had any problems, so kind of stumped on how to test this.
Thanks!

Mechanically there is a fragile plastic magnetized ring behind the big gear that registers the sensor action.

Mine had come unglued from the slot it sits in once. The magnet ring.

I think I understand what you mean, and this seems to be undamaged.
I rechecked all cable connections and it seems that the connectors are fine. There is so much silicone around the connector for the PAS, that its hard to see if the wires are still seated in the connector.

Is there any way to test voltages while turning the cranks? Some other way to troubleshoot the PAS?

Thanks

Yes, you can measure the voltages on the grey and white wires (vs. battery neg or the black wire). You should see the voltage toggle from zero to 5v as the pedals are turned. First make sure you have 5v on the red wire.

Thanks fetcher. Dumb Q: Does the motor need power for this? If so, do I need to tap the wire to measure (or maybe jam a wire/probe where the wire enters the connector.

Yes, power needs to be on. You can poke something sharp through the insulation or peel off the silicone gunk and try to put a skinny wire or probe in the back of the connector.

So EM3EV sent me a new PAS sensor and disk, which I'll install ASAP. I did check the voltage on the red wire and it was closer to 4.3-4.7VDC (depending how good of a connection I could get with my probe) *with the PAS unplugged*. When I tested again with the PAS plugged in, it was closer to 4.0VDC. Should I be concerned about the controller having issues? The throttle works and motor rides fine. Are there any other voltages I can check to further troubleshoot the controller? I'll report back after I replace the PAS.

4.3v is pretty typical. That looks OK. The other thing to check is the voltages on the other wires while moving the pedals and the sensor plugged in.

Thanks for your help fetcher, it's really appreciated.
I installed a new PAS sensor, and its working again. The contacts for the gray wire looked a little burnt, but really it was hard to tell with all the silicone that was gooped on there. Honestly, a cable could have wiggled free from the connector but I couldn't see through all the goop.
Also, EM3EV is a great company to deal with. Even with all the COVID craziness going on they were able to send out a new sensor and get it to me in a week. (I'm in CA, US).

Back