BBSHD uk battery reccomendations - 20ah+

Dazza22345

10 mW
Hello all,

Looking to start my first build soon, but am having trouble finding the appropriate battery at a decent price.
Will be for a bbshd so will need to be at least 30amp continuous discharge
Between 48-52v
20ah+ I don't mind any bigger but this is the minimum I am looking for due to a 30 mile commute.
Nice flat shape to fit into a rear pannier would be ideal, but not essential

Due to the ridiculous cost of importing batteries and the troubles it can bring does anyone know of any sellers in the
UK which are able to offer this?

Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=48v%2020ah%20battery&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Thanks, although the only ones I could find from the uk on there are 20ah continuous discharge,
which wouldn't be suitable.
Also would be nice to find one with decent cells rather than the unbranded Chinese stuff

Yeah have been weighing up the idea of using the first two, thanks for the 3rd link though, I hadn't seen them.
Was just hoping to get lucky really and that someone would know a place in the uk to save the overpriced import charges.
And yeah would like to avoid the cheap cells if I can, I want to get something which will last

I've got 3.5+ years and 10K+ miles on my 888wh rc lipo pack. There's an HK warehouse in the UK if you want to use rc lipo.

I'm considering making another order from Nkon.nl.
http://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/panasonic-ncr18650pf-3-7v-2900mah.html

With bulk order we can decrease shipping price. If you are interested we can share price

I often revert back to thinking that a DIY has to be the best thing to do with a battery as it gives the most flexibility in shape. I would love to build a battery compartment that fitted into the frame of my bike perfectly.

Then I realise I have no idea how to start putting the electrical bits together and then I think that I should probably go back to available battery packs. Even then I get swamped with all the different specs, chemistries, capacities, etc...

If you are willing to teach me how to do it (or even build it for me) and there are savings to be had. I'm in!

You can save on money, quality or time.... but never on all of them at the same time.

I wouldn't want to teach but there are plenty of ressource here. Maybe I can charge back for time if I make it for you but then you wouldn't save money...

You can make saving and get quality if you buy with me. But unfortunately not on time as you'll have to learn how to do that....

HK factory in the uk? have you got a link to which company you mean, the HK (hongkong) battery company I come across only has a factory in hong kong, so not sure if i'm looking in the right place?

I have considered building it myself, although trying to avoid that if I really can I may still go down that route. Seems it only works out to save a few hundred though so would prefer the reassurance of someone else building it ideally. Will let you know if I give up and go down that route though.
I'm surprised that no-one in the uk has taken the opportunity to start building custom packs yet tbh.

If you did want to build your own Tyler I have found a good link here:
http://www.ebikeschool.com/how-to-build-a-diy-electric-bicycle-lithium-battery-from-18650-cells/

Thanks to all for your help, still hoping there's a site hidden away offering this

Guys, i've shown on the bottom of the post how much better are the 18650 vs the (in)famous multistar:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/hobby-king-multi-star-on-offer.23165/

Let's do a group buy of either ncr18650pf or ncr18650b. I'll get a couple hundred for my battery pack needing to upgrade to 72v.

I can help for your pack but I'd ask for £1 per cell. If you get a big pack I can ask for less.

I do definitely agree the 18650 packs have an advantage, i'm just not fully convinced yet I want to build it myself.

£1 a cell? the link you sent me earlier shows them priced higher than this, so how could you do them that cheap?

I'm tempted. Will have a think as not sure I've got the time right now to build a battery pack aswell as the bike.
How much does postage/ import fee's usually come to from them?

Out of interest why don't you build some packs to sell?

There are no import fee because it comes from netherland. We may have vat but I have to check with seller.

Building battery pack is a time consuming job... and I already have a full time job. And selling also means many questions/answers, packaging, postage, after sale support, help with bms, etc.

So if you imagine half a day doing a pack plus few hours doing everything else, it can easily become unrewarding!

That is probably why most battery come directly from china!

HK is;
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.asp
With warehouses in EU, UK, AU, and 2 in the US.

20Ah of Multistars complete with balance chargers,bulk charger and wiring would be under £300.
Mine have over a years use and 3000 miles on them and still give full capacity and only need balancing if I drop to 3.5V a cell or less.
Perfect for a BBSHD and simple to swap from bike to bike as your collection increases(I have 4 now).

Tyler durden said:
I've seen BMS mentioned. Is that something that's required to makr a safe battery?

Yep. Lithium batteries don't self balance. If you had a 2 cell pack, one cell at 3 volts, and the other cell at 4 volts, and you tried to charge them together as a pack to 8.4 volts without a BMS, (full charge for most 18650 cells) they would charge up to 3.7v and 4.7V. The 4.7 V cell would be ruined, and possibly explode. A BMS would prevent that by balancing the charge on each cell, and shutting down the battery if the charge on a cell got too high or too low.

I dont use a BMS but as long as I stop discharging at 3.6V they stay in balance.
I use a wattmeter so I can see exactly what the battery state is so basically I am a human BMS.

Ok well at under £300 I'm quite liking that idea, especially as I can change the capacity for different length rides.
Is there a good guide anywhere on exactly what I would need? Looks a little confusing on there.
ideally would like 52v 20ah-30ah. plus what chargers and leads etc. would be needed to ensure its kept safe?

Back