Best 6kw Hub Motor + Controller Setup for an 86v (97v max charge, 72v low cutoff) battery?

DotScott

1 W
Hey everyone,

So as the title suggests, I'm looking for what would be the best setup (controller + hub motor) for a 6kw build. I already have an enduro ebike build (with the nice frame, not the cheapo frames) and an 86v (~96.6v max charge and ~70-72v low cutoff) battery that can output 80A peak and 60A continuous.

Currently running it with 4kw but looking to upgrade since I just got a failed hall sensor (most likely) in my hub. Not that I can't fix it, I've just been thinking about upgrading for a while anyway.

Here's what I was thinking about doing

Motor: QS205 (not sure which version to go for though).
Controller: Sabvoton SVMC 96120 (which can handle the higher voltages of the battery (plus regen).

I just don't know if this is the best setup for my battery running at 6kw though. Any suggestions/information?

Would definitely also consider an adapto controller but Idk if those can handle my battery voltage. I like that it supports variable regen-braking though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The 205 V3 50H will be quite tolerant of 6kw and can support a very fat torque curve at that power level. Decent hub motor for those who want to ride how they please without caring about frying a hall or winding like you did on your last motor.

The best controller overall for you would be an ASI BAC4000 for the customization, throttle response, and awesome torque control mode. But they prefer 84v at absolute maximum, so you can't use your current battery. I will say be cautious about which controller you buy. Many people have high power controllers with terrible throttle lag and speed based control that they are happy with simply because they don't know better solutions exist. My throttle sends a proportional force to the wheel based on how far I twist, and instantly. It doesn't get better than that.

flat tire said:
The 205 V3 50H will be quite tolerant of 6kw and can support a very fat torque curve at that power level. Decent hub motor for those who want to ride how they please without caring about frying a hall or winding like you did on your last motor.

The best controller overall for you would be an ASI BAC4000 for the customization, throttle response, and awesome torque control mode. But they prefer 84v at absolute maximum, so you can't use your current battery. I will say be cautious about which controller you buy. Many people have high power controllers with terrible throttle lag and speed based control that they are happy with simply because they don't know better solutions exist. My throttle sends a proportional force to the wheel based on how far I twist, and instantly. It doesn't get better than that.

Nice! Yeah that sounds about in line what I've been reading (on the QS205 50H V3).

Yeah I think I'm going to have to go with the Sabvoton controller just because it can handle the power of my battery. It's basically a brand new battery so I'm not willing to buy another battery at this time. I think the Sabvoton and that QS205 50H V3 will go well together though.

flat tire said:
Sevcon would be better if you can afford it or find a used one.

Oh really? I thought Sevcon controllers would be a bit of overkill for an ebike like this... no?

They're just overpriced, better controllers than sabvoton.

You may want to factor in that you'll want a new battery anyway. The 80 amp battery will supply half of what your QS205 can take and if you have normal testosterone concentrations you'll quickly decide 6kw could be more. 10+kw feels a lot better on that motor. I like RC lipo for fast bikes.

flat tire said:
They're just overpriced, better controllers than sabvoton.

You may want to factor in that you'll want a new battery anyway. The 80 amp battery will supply half of what your QS205 can take and if you have normal testosterone concentrations you'll quickly decide 6kw could be more. 10+kw feels a lot better on that motor. I like RC lipo for fast bikes.

LOL! I know that feeling. But I figured I'll be happy running with ~6k for a little while. I'll probably upgrade the battery in a couple of years.

Back