best for reliability? uk supplier?

guyd

1 mW
Hi, noob q.

I am replacing an aging pdq powertrike motor, controller and batteries for my disabled, but active, wife. Its to really be used for getting around festivals etc, so hilly, muddy terrain. If this breaks down, its game over, and a massive pita.

With this primerily in mind, what fwd 20" kit would you plump for? Speed is a max of 16mph as thats scary enough in a wheelchair trike thing. Low speed torque is relevant. Capacity needs to be huge, not only for distance, but also traction as the (currently lead acid packs) batteries weigh the front down to give some grip, as the weight is all in the wheelchair. I have been looking at 2x 15ah 48v lion packs to give you an idea.

Thanks for your time

Guy

Most UK suppliers are just re-selling Chinese stuff, so you can cut out the middleman and buy direct from China to save some money.

The Ezee kit does everything that you want. It has a high torque motor (higher than most other UK supplied kits), they do a 20" front wheel version, it's easy to install and it's waterproof.
http://www.cyclezee.com/ezee-conversion-kits.html

can you put powered rear wheels on instead ?

I'd be a bit worried the front wheel will just spin on a wet muddy hill ?

Here is what he wants a new front hubbie for.
http://www.oasisllc.com/english/power_trike.htm

I would say get a slower winding motor. All your use will be slow speeds, and I bet the original motor was not a faster one intended for bikes. One guy you can trust in china, who sells slower windings is EM3 ev. Either his 12t mac, or the slower direct drive would work fine. The 12t mac has the slowest rpm I think. Most of the typical bike kits are aimed at either very low power, or higher speeds depending on the market. But chances are, your use is not so harsh that even the smallest 250w kits would still work ok.

Lithium will give longer range, but you might have to put weights in there to get the traction back. It could be that sticking with lead works best in the end.

Thanks guys

Knighty fron navitron?

The rear wheel option had been explored, and i have installed a low power (yamaha, as in motorcycles weirdly enough) pair of rear wheels. They are tiny and pathetetic, but would add three wheel drive in an emergency. Only cost 100 quid all in.

If the rear wheels are too powerful, the wheelchair (wc) will flip. The wc has to have instablility as its necessary to hoik up the small front wheels when in non powered mode to get over small steps and kerbs, for example when she is going to the toilet, she cant have the gert big bicycle front end in the way.....

I like the em3ev chap, nice catchy name eh :wink:
Is this sensible:-
500ddkit with 9 fet 36v 30a 3077 type controller
10S6PRRSDI 36v 12ah battery x 2
Charger
Anderson connectors (yuck) to swap battery banks

Thanks, very friendly intro into this murky world. I generate all my own power from a c1722 water mill waterwheel and 10kW pv panel array in somerset (south west england, quite sunny for the uk) and have been considering a ev quad bike quite seriously, but a local supplier wants 9 thousand pounds for it...... This shows it might be easier than i thought....

Guyg

guyd said:
Knighty fron navitron?

yeah! didn't realise that was you, hi :)

The rear wheel option had been explored, and i have installed a low power (yamaha, as in motorcycles weirdly enough) pair of rear wheels. They are tiny and pathetetic, but would add three wheel drive in an emergency. Only cost 100 quid all in.

If the rear wheels are too powerful, the wheelchair (wc) will flip. The wc has to have instablility as its necessary to hoik up the small front wheels when in non powered mode to get over small steps and kerbs, for example when she is going to the toilet, she cant have the gert big bicycle front end in the way.....

I like the em3ev chap, nice catchy name eh :wink:
Is this sensible:-
500ddkit with 9 fet 36v 30a 3077 type controller
10S6PRRSDI 36v 12ah battery x 2
Charger
Anderson connectors (yuck) to swap battery banks

Thanks, very friendly intro into this murky world. I generate all my own power from a c1722 water mill waterwheel and 10kW pv panel array in somerset (south west england, quite sunny for the uk) and have been considering a ev quad bike quite seriously, but a local supplier wants 9 thousand pounds for it...... This shows it might be easier than i thought....

Guyg

that set-up looks good to me

but I'd be tempted to mount all the batteries on at once if there's space/weight available

if you need more power later on msg me, I've got thousands of laptop cells here and my cell welder will be ready soon, I can make you a pack foc ;)

speed control will be the biggest issue for you, but you'll pretty much have to guestiumate what you need and then try it, what you have above looks good

voltage = speed (higher = faster)

so you can raise/drop the voltage to adjust the speed of the wheel.... but as you drop the voltage the motor won;t be able to pull as many amps, so you start to loose power too

you could always buy the batteries last, so you can build the rest of it up and test it with a few old batteries for power/speed first

pdq.jpg

if that works.

The batteries are old and knackered. the controller is very basic, with no regen braking. Parts are no longer available. The motor is 200 watts and struggles on hills in muddy conditions.

We would like more power(torque), more range, better control. Speed is fine as is at 16mph. The current batteries (were) are 7Ah each. My mrs likes the idea of swapping the battery banks, as it shows here where the halfway point is so to speak. It requires you to hold the steering and push the back wheel(s) if you run out of battery capacity, which is a Very Bad Thing. It has no reverse, but the current motor seems to become a generator if you pull it backwards, which is difficult. I was looking at putting on a reversing switch (presumably just swap any two phases - like normal three phase AC motor?)

Hopefully that has cleared that up? Is the kit above going to do what I want - ish?

Hi, contact the team at Voltz-bikes.co.uk
Very helpfull U.K new company, based in the midlands. I know they have done a few wheelchair projects now, they were at the Gadget Show Live with their ebike.
Hope this may help

if you want to swap phases for a reverse, you need a sensor-less controller

ebike motors have hall sensors in them, to determine the position of the wheel (which it uses to work out speed etc..)
if you swap the phases for reverse the controller will get confused and you won;t be able to go anywhere

but, you can use a sensor less controller which doesn't need the hall sensors, so then you can do your normal phase swap for reverse

slight down side of sensor less is it sometimes take s second when you twist the throttle before you start to move, but that's about it

you can get controllers which support a reverse switch... but I *think* it's only really the big ones which do this :(

Back