• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bionx Err 22

Erikt

1 mW
I've bought a s/h mtb with a Bionx SL 250HT (48v) kit installed. I worked great for about a week, and then one morning, after making the usual spark/popping sound (nothing dramatic) when I slid in the battery in the dock, the bike didn't deliver any assist. In diagnostic mode the display shows "Err 22". The voltage displays as 53 - 54v, and the system will register strain when I apply force on a pedal at stand still. So all the components seem to communicate together. Different websites have differnt, brief descriptions of the Err 22 code. All agree that the wiring should be checked. Apart from that, the Nycewheels website states defective motor as the cause, others blame the battery, and some descriptions refer to "bad relay" (in the battery?).
The battery doesn't make the popping sound anymore, when I install it. I opened the battery (it's out of warrenty) and didn't see anything unusual (burn marks, loose wiring etc), and the fuse was fine. I did, however, get a slight scare when a substantial spark appeared at the connectors, as I opened the case :shock: I took the battery outside before doing further inspection :mrgreen:
I've checked the wiring from the docking station with an ohmmeter, and all connections are fine. The wiring into the motor also looks fine. When I lift the wheel and pedal up to 20 kmh, as it slows down to below 12 kms, the system will beep repeatedly. For the last few rotations, the motor applies a bit of jerky resistence to bring the wheel to a halt. Otherwise, the is no significant resistence.

I am assuming two possibilities here:
1. Maybe the BMS is the cause. Is it possible for the battery to charge normally and deliver 5v power to the Can Bus system, yet somehow through a relay on the BMS to have switched off the 48v supply? AFAIK the 24v and 36v batteries didn't use BMS, and the Nycewheels website warns about measuring the voltage directly on the connectors of the 48v battery, so I'm thinking a different logic may be need to diagnose a 48v system vs. previous, lower voltages versions. Maybe that's why the description of the Err 22 codes differ from website to website.
2. The motor is faulty :|
3. Did I overlook something?

Back