BMC Geared hub motor lubrication and maintenance?

Roonster

1 mW
Well I've ridden approximately 200 miles on my new BMC hub motor and Ping 36V15AH battery. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on required or suggested periodic maintenance to provide the hub motor a long happy life?

Some of the questions I have are:
-How often should I open up the motor to lubricate the gears
-What grease should I use
-What is the best way to get the motor open

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Roonster

The same would apply to the Heinzmann geared hub motors. What grease should I use to relube?

All i remember from servicing my Heinzmann motor was that the factory grease was opaque, almost clear and very sticky. By process of elimination, not lithium, nor axle bearing grease either, but the other stuff :)

Hi

I wouldnt open it unless you have to, the grease will last for a long time, they use lithium grease its very sticky and it shouldnt go anywhere unless you start riding in deep water and flush it all out.
My experience with the BMC motors is to leave them well alone if they are working well, maybe have a look and a little bit of grease after 3,000 miles or so.

Knoxie

The bearings are sealed, so you run those until they fail. The gears are nylon, which do not need lots of lubrication. I'd check it out after about a year or so. I'm not sure what the best lube for nylon gears would be.

The motor has a ring of screws around the edge on one side. You remove these screws first, then pry off the cover. The screws are in very tight and probably have loctite on the threads. You may need an impact driver to loosen them without stripping out the heads. The cover is stuck on with paint too, so you will need something to wedge into the crack to pop it open.

Back