Bosch battery incomplete charging

pvw859

1 µW
New to the forum and glad to be here! I bought a used Townie Go! 8i with 62 Kms on it in July and now (Sept) it has about 1600 Kms on it. There is no warranty left. Active line, Purion with a Powerpack 400 and 4 amp charger. A few weeks ago when charging it started doing incomplete charges. The 5 LEDs on the battery would remain on instead of all going out at the end of the charge session. They remain that way no matter how long I leave it on the charger and does this on or off the bike. This does result in a less than 100% charge. If I unplug the charger til all lights go out and plug it back in the 5th light flashes and after about 20 minutes all lights go out and the battery is at 100%. Photo shows what range can be expected at 100% on the ECO PAS. Nothing gets unusually hot and all works well besides this and Bosch customer service did not provide any clues except to tell me to take it to a dealer. Anyone have or had had this issue and is it cause for concern?

Attachments

• Range4b.jpg
    Range4b.jpg
    940.7 KB · Views: 1
Proprietary system with the mid drive, the proprietary battery communicates with the proprietary controller and if anything is off then it wont work. If the led's give you no extra info and you cant just use the mid drive on its own to use your own controller and your own battery then you need to sell it and buy a used Townie with a rear hub motor instead and look to see if the gears arent broken and the winding wires havent over-heated inside. Thats all you really need off the used Townie is the hub, because then when the stock controller or stock battery doesnt work anymore you buy a generic sensored/sensorless controller for $30 shipped to your door. Match the voltage and watts and a generic battery and your riding again. Hubs are great and the honest truth is, most all riders only really just need a hub motor, not a mid drive unless your in san fransisco, or a down town bike mail courier (all day start and stop).

Very likely your BMS is broken, it happens. I've had 3 of those "not fully charging but cells are perfectly balanced" repairs just this month. You can repair it:

Very likely your BMS is broken, it happens. I've had 3 of those "not fully charging but cells are perfectly balanced" repairs just this month. You can repair it:
Thanks for that info. Not sure if I'll be taking the battery apart or where to get a BMS board. My riding season is almost done so the bike will sit for the winter and I'll try to get the battery looked at by a dealer. It works just fine now if I do what I explained above so is there any danger in leaving it as is? EDIT: As in, use the bike, charge the battery by either leaving it at a partial charge (all 5 LEDs lit) or unplug charger at that time and plug back in, wait til all lights go out, go riding.

Last edited:
Over time bms will drain the battery.
Winter is almost upon us here and after my last ride the bike and battery will be stored indoors for about 6 months. Battery will be left at recommended charge for storage (60%) and checked on regularly. As for my mid drive, I love it and won't be scavenging another Townie. If the battery fails, I would most likely buy a new battery. I live on the prairies of Canada so no big hills on my city pathway rides but the mid drive pas is exactly what I like and provides me with fun and exercise. Thanks for you input :)

Back