BOSS LEVEL CUSTOM SPOT WELDER

It seems plating the copper helps Somehow. I just defeated 0.2 plated copper. In pure state the boss didn't weld it.

3s has no effect on copper. I used 4s. I did 0.1 pure copper so far. 0.2 plated is a great achievement. Double conductivity plus oxidation protection.

I just tested aluminium 0.1 it sux
it is a delicate princess. Did a 3s lipo test. Low time flux has no effect and increasing times makes holes. Totally worthless and disappointing. I have found a very cheap source for 0,2 but i don't think i will bother. 0.2 will probably not make holes so easily but copper is much better and easier to weld.

20170810.jpg

My Boss spot welder arrived today, 11 days using the snail mail option. No bad at all.
I ordered without the soldering iron, only small issue is the manual switch wasn't included in the package.
Though I'm not to bothered as a fellow pedelec forum member had an issue when he tried connected his and something is now not quite right with his Boss welder.

Welcome to the club fellow.
So...Aulakiria forgot to put the manual switch in the box? Well I guess you will not miss it. I never use it because I got a pedal and is much more comfortable. I use automatic mode mostly anyway.

I did a small pack using 0.2 copper. I DO NOT recommend the use of 0.2 copper. The machine is capable but i noticed it's a very hard job. The pen gets really hot and is dangerous. I am sure the intense use of the machine on 4s at high flux times may cause premature failure so i recommend stick to nickel or 0.1 copper tops.
I taped the making of the pack and I will post the video when edited.

Well. That could make the welding easier for me but not for the machine.
I was happy to defeat 0.2 copper but while doing a very small pack( intended for short range e-skateboard ) I noticed the heat was excessive. I had a talk with the creator of the welder. He thinks the intensive use of 4s at high flux times will damage the machine for sure. It was designed to work on 3s with nickel. The fact that is capable of more does not mean is recommended.
He said the machine could be capable of much more by adding more fets but that would make it bigger and more expensive and that's not the purpose of his invention. He is not into this for money. This is his hobby, his passion and he is not making a noticeable profit out of this nor he cares about it. Sharing his creation with the world is the only satisfaction he aims for Therefore he just recommended me to work within logical límits for the machine as is. So I decided not to go beyond 0.1 copper with the welder by now.
If you think about it, we can overvolt to the absurd our motors for a few seconds but they burn if we keep it for too long.
Capable? Yes . advisable? No
He told me a korean proverb:
"Too much is Less than insufficient" and I think he is right.

Well i edited my last video. I tried to make it educational. The pack is done with nickel plated copper 0.2 (this is the last time i use that size for security reasons)
Making a 2p pack is NOT a good idea, 3 or 4p generates less heat so the cells will not get damaged. In this case the cells are sony konion 30 amps capable and the build is intended for short range at low speeds so it's not a problem at all. This is not my first 2p pack and i know it works fine.
If you try to do the same use only high C cells. 20+ amps delivery.
[youtube]_iKuUNYCXRk[/youtube]

It seems the video was banned in some countries. I re-edited it with different music. I hope it works now.

turds10.jpg

I got a bunch of turds and made a lights battery pack 2s3p
I used 0.1 nickel plated copper because this pack is perfect to test the plating over time. The pack will be in open air. The weather is humid here so i wanna know how it holds. I wanna open it in a couple years. I don't know how long the cells will last though.
[youtube]LdBI8JwCI4o[/youtube]

[youtube]aj5TiHdT5vM[/youtube]

Shopping list:
thermal silicone
heatsink: many small pieces, one 40x60mm or two 40x40mm (must be cut)
female jack 5.5mm
two fans 5v 12v 24v....your choice
a power supply matching the fans
some glue
50mm wide pvc shrink, a piece of 20mm will be enough
4 screws m3x16mm
if you don't have heatgun or hair dryer a lighter can do the job.
all of it can be purchased at ebay,aliexpress,amazon...even at your local electronics store.
The thermal silicone needs some time to cure. It will not reach its full potential until you use the welder for a few times.
The spot welder will not go over 40º using this mod (at least for me)
regards

Very nice work, my spot welder didn't take long to get to 46oC welding a 10s pack up.
So this mod will be ideal.
As the fans only pull a very small amp load a simple 2 in 1 lead from the 3s lipo being used should suffice for a power supply if using 12v fans.

yes, i used the 24v pack i did recently to power the fans. They can work for hours. Very low comsumption. This mod is not a must yet very recommendable for those who reach high temperatures fast.

I have been doing a rather big pack today with my boss welder. A triangle 22s 6p pure copper pack.
20170913.jpg

20170910.jpg

20170912.jpg

20170914.jpg

the night has caught me. Let's call it a day. I will continue tomorrow
20170911.jpg

More pics and maybe a video when done.

Back